Anyone Want Some Grapefruit?

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: Anyone Want Some Grapefruit?

Post by jwhouk »

Picked an orange off of the other tree yesterday. Not too bad, but there are some that are in desperate need of being taken off and shot.

Still got totes and boxes everywhere.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Found the important stuff: My Wapsi Square sketches from Paul. :)
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

I'm going to be in the same boat soon, hope you left the seat warm!

Selling the place I've been at since '94, moving into Houston. Closer to work, quicker response time to the folks when necessary.

Reason for getting out? Harvey. Tired of remodeling, Harvey made it the fourth time. And I was just getting back to normal after the 2016 water event.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

PS- becasue this thread has been around a little bit now, (and I'd held back at first) I humbuly submit the following:

"Did Somebody Mention Grapefruit?"

DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Hansontoons wrote:I'm going to be in the same boat soon, hope you left the seat warm!

Selling the place I've been at since '94, moving into Houston. Closer to work, quicker response time to the folks when necessary.

Reason for getting out? Harvey. Tired of remodeling, Harvey made it the fourth time. And I was just getting back to normal after the 2016 water event.
*hugs*

How's the furbaby handling it all?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

DinkyInky wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:I'm going to be in the same boat soon, hope you left the seat warm!

*hugs*

How's the furbaby handling it all?
She was very anxious while things were being moved upstairs the night before the house flooded. She still had memory of the flood the year before. Then there was the bug-out the next day as the water was rising. We spent the next week staying at firiends and family's homes before returning to tear out the first floor. She got used to it easily, no bad behavior. We spent the next month with family while waiting for enough things to be fixed to make the house livable before moving back in. She eased back into regular walks and life upstairs just like the last time.

I waited until after the holidays to consider next steps as by this time I had pretty much decided I was done with remodeling and wanted out. So right now I have contract for someone to buy my place as-is and a contract on a new place in Houston. THAT move will be the big test- going from house and yard to townhome with a postage stamp size back "yard".

And the water was 7' 2" deep inside my place when the water level crested. Thanks Harvey.

And happy to see you active again! :)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Speaking of fur babies: ours is doing quite well, thanks. She's gotten used to the incredibly large amount of room she has to be able to run from one end of the trailer to the other.

Of course, the surprise we had this morning was when we suddenly heard a loud MEOW and screech coming from our carport. Apparently a pair of neighbor cats had decided to get into a tiff under the wife's car.

I've already yanked off a couple dozen old grapefruit from that tree - and it's still got a ton on it. Some of them have shriveled in the heat, and the rest I may have to get rid of just to keep from being covered in a cloud of fruit flies.

Otherwise, we're pretty much settled in at this point. We're both looking for jobs - Sarah has an interview tomorrow AM, and I have a possible with the MPS as a security flunky at one of the local HS's (which might be necessary, considering what happened last week...)

Oh, and rain is in the forecast for tomorrow...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:Speaking of fur babies: ours is doing quite well, thanks. She's gotten used to the incredibly large amount of room she has to be able to run from one end of the trailer to the other.

Of course, the surprise we had this morning was when we suddenly heard a loud MEOW and screech coming from our carport. Apparently a pair of neighbor cats had decided to get into a tiff under the wife's car.

I've already yanked off a couple dozen old grapefruit from that tree - and it's still got a ton on it. Some of them have shriveled in the heat, and the rest I may have to get rid of just to keep from being covered in a cloud of fruit flies.

Otherwise, we're pretty much settled in at this point. We're both looking for jobs - Sarah has an interview tomorrow AM, and I have a possible with the MPS as a security flunky at one of the local HS's (which might be necessary, considering what happened last week...)

Oh, and rain is in the forecast for tomorrow...
You still owe me a pic of her. ;)
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Pretty baby!

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Notice how the Modern Day Cat is sitting on the Prehistoric Cave-Cat logo? :shock: :D :ugeek:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

TazManiac wrote:Notice how the Modern Day Cat is sitting on the Prehistoric Cave-Cat logo? :shock: :D :ugeek:
She likes Gnash.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:
TazManiac wrote:Notice how the Modern Day Cat is sitting on the Prehistoric Cave-Cat logo? :shock: :D :ugeek:
She likes Gnash.
No accounting for taste. :lol:

--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Had two interviews over the last two days. Yesterday was for a security firm to do Spring Training/arena security at Valley area events. Today was another security position, this one a Security Monitor at a local HS (with a "small" student body of only 3,500).

Really kinda iffy on the arena security one. You can probably guess my trepidation about the one from today. Yes, "that question" was asked by the security head as part of my interview.

In retrospect, it's a bit funny, because in that whole thing Sarge did a while back about "18 years later" with Dixie ("AETERNIA!") had me as a security guard for Gryphon West...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I’m... currently on my 11th of 13 straight workdays pulling 12 hour shifts of manual labor, 5 of which I had a moderate to severe fever that I’m still recovering from, so forgive me if I seem incredibly oblivious...

But, uh, what question?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Security position for a local high school.

And this was essentially the question asked of me:

"You are notified of dispatch of a report that a student has a gun in his backpack. You are the closest monitor to the room where the student is located. What do you do?"
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Oh I thought you were talking about a question in connection to the arena one.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

I'd probably be a poor fit for that, because I'd tell them I have a "particular set of skills".

Oh, and as previously stated, yes, I always bring a knife to a gunfight.

But threat assessment, disarm/apprehend student with as little harm to him/her as possible, and yeah, it sucks that it's not always possible.

Anyway, I thought you were getting out of that sort of field. Enjoy your damned retirement and get a boring job.

--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Wife doesn't want me lounging around our new trailer, while she is trying to get a job at a daycare. And sadly her car needed a few thou in repairs before we left, so we have a credit card to pay off before I can just lounge around.

The school in question is in the "good" part of Mesa, with a really high-achievement and AP placement background.

Of course, I also have a job interview Monday - as a bus driver. (The irony of this is, before I became a state employee, I drove bus for Racine Unified back in Wisconsin...)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Go for it: bus driver truly is a noble profession... 8-) :mrgreen: