More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: More Stuff

Post by jwhouk »

Foxy Lady?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:Foxy Lady?
DING!

*hands you a plate of heart-shaped chocolate chip cookies*
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Wouldn't that be Timothy's ringtone for Scarlet?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

DinkyInky wrote:
DING!

*pouting*, remorsefully, unreasonably, but sincerely... :| :( :cry: :cry: :cry:
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
DING!

*pouting*, remorsefully, unreasonably, but sincerely... :| :( :cry: :cry: :cry:
*hands you a small platter of "that was a nice try" cookies*
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:*hands you a small platter of "that was a nice try" cookies*
You're as gracious and generous as always, DinkyInky. Tradition only requires giving a small packet of stale Saltines as a condolence snack.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Spoiler alert: Incoming rant.

Okay, while I'm trying to breath slowly here to calm myself...

So, by now at least some folks here besides myself has heard of the school shooting in Florida. And I'm sure many of you are aware that any time there's a shooting that isn't just people from rival gangs shooting at each other, the anti gun crowd wants to push more gun control legislation.

I had shared a political cartoon on Facebook (of all places... Go figure) that showed two people, both with guns, one labeled a law abiding citizen, and the other a criminal. On the right side of the cartoon, it depicted the same two people, with more control in effect. The law abiding citizen, who doesn't want to go to jail, has no gun. The criminal, who didn't care about the law before, still has his.

One of my liberal (former) friends, who has known me since high school, had the nerve to say that people like me are the reason those kids at that school are dead.

Now, while I was pissed, I somehow managed to maintain my composure, and left a reply that wasn't laden with profanity, and was (somehow) a bit more respectful than his slew of comments.

For those who aren't fully up to speed on gun laws:

It is currently illegal to purchase or have possession or access to a firearm if you have a felony conviction, violent misdemeanors, or misdemeanors involving an act against a family member.

It is currently illegal to purchase, own, or have access to a firearm if you are determined to be mentally unfit by a court of law.

It is currently mandatory by FEDERAL LAW that any time a federally licensed firearms dealer to require a person's photo ID at time of sale, and they have to submit your information for a federal firearms check. This checks with the national database to determine if you have been barred from purchasing a firearm due to the reasons I mentioned, by any court in the US or on any US military base, or wherever else the federal government has jurisdiction.

Each and every time a gun is sold legally, this is done. This is essentially a criminal background check. Expanding it doesn't really do anything, and the only way to expand it is to find out every place you've lived, every place you've been employed, every school you went to... Yeah, pretty much, useless information as far as whether or not you have a history of being a violent person.

However, if you can legally purchase a gun, and do so, and then give that gun as a gift to someone who cannot legally acquire a gun, that's a crime, and I think it's a felony.

Also, about how many Americans admit to owning guns? The last figure I heard, from several years ago, was more than 80 million, and that was just those who were willing to owning guns. This doesn't include criminals, because only an idiot would admit to the government that they are illegally possessing a gun.

Also, let's look at some other laws regarding guns. Did you know it's illegal in many areas to possess a gun while committing any crime, regardless of whether or not the gun was used? Carrying an "open container" of alcohol, which is illegal in many areas, while having a gun in the car will get you more trouble than just a ticket. This also applies to body armor. Legal to own and wear, as long as you aren't committing crimes while doing so.

These are the same people who claim that we shouldn't judge all Muslims every time an Islamic extremist commits an act of terrorism, and yet, they claim that all gun owners are bad because someone went nuts and shot up a school or a night club (areas where guns are prohibited by law, unless you're a cop or federal agent).

Does anyone not know that individuals make their own choices? Last time I checked, the millions of Americans who own guns didn't put a gun in that guys hands, nor did any of us force him to pull the trigger each and every time. Hell, I'm not sure if there would have been even ONE who wouldn't have shot him until he either dropped the gun or died before he could.

Seriously, people who want to bitch about more gun control needs to look at what we already have, and keep in mind that criminals will do whatever they want, and won't give up whatever weapons they've obtained. Laws don't stop criminals from doing anything, they just provide consequences if a person is caught.

Also, bear in mind that the black market is easily accessible if you have an internet connection and the right browser. That's how a bunch of Australians are getting theirs with a gun ban in place.

What pisses me off is that, no matter how many times I've told people that I don't condone killing another person except in war or to prevent someone from killing, raping, torturing, or abducting myself or someone else, or if the person is suffering immensely from something that's guaranteed to kill them shortly anyway (as in, just a few minutes), as an act of mercy, people STILL react like this towards me when they find out I support the second amendment, and exercise the rights it grants me.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

mahou shoujo ash2.png
mahou shoujo ash2.png (220.88 KiB) Viewed 7496 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote:Spoiler alert: Incoming rant..
A} I wish you hadn't posted that on the Wapsi forum. Even if i 100% agreed, i would be unhappy about it.

B} I'm NOT going to respond at any length {nor would/will i in PMs< because i/we don't need what would likely result}, but i will say that i see several points on which you are essentially in error.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

How so? We already have background checks (with which I am fine) and I really don't see any way of making sure criminals never get their hands on guns unless you have the military and every law enforcement agency to a complete sweep and confiscate every gun, and then turn the country into a police state, with searches and checkpoints everywhere.

Guns don't make the choice to kill. They can't. A person has to either deliberately use them for that purpose, or do something almost as stupid and do something unsafe. Granted, there's still the possibility of an accident, even if you do everything right, but still...

It's pretty unfair for people to go and blame everyone who legally owns a firearm (or wants to) for legal purposes whenever far fewer than one percent of everyone who has access to a firearm does something wrong.

Or does everyone still believe, no matter what I say or do, that I'm just gonna start running around a crowded area and start spraying bullets just for fun?
AnotherFairportfan

Not gonna talk about it.

DOn't wanna start the kind of "discussion" that gets one or both of us banned.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Forum Rules wrote:Welcome to the Wapsi pub! This is the Off-topic board for the fans of Wapsi to come and relax, socialize or just look for a shoulder to whine on. There won't be many rules here but what few there are will be enforced. I want the same friendly atmosphere here as on the regular Wapsi forum so here goes:
Be respectful.

You can talk politics and religion but remember, others may have a different viewpoint than you.

Do not link to images they are not work safe without some kind of warning.
Seems to me, as long as the discussion remains respectful, nobody will get disciplined. It’s totally ok to opt out of the discussion, too. But for those who choose to take part, please try to not get banned. I like almost all of you.

As a matter of my own personal preference, I would also like to ask that y’all avoid falling into logical fallacies - that tends to help keep things civil, and it also tends to make discussions a lot more productive.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, even the most heated discussion I'd seen here regarding any topic was still much more respectful than the person who was almost foaming at the mouth this morning because I said that a gun ban will not make criminals suddenly obey that law, when they disregarded other laws so readily.

But, if FPF feels he can't discuss his views on the subject in a respectful manner, then I can leave it at that.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:
You're as gracious and generous as always, DinkyInky. Tradition only requires giving a small packet of stale Saltines as a condolence snack.
Speaking of stale saltines...

I was hanging out with my dad recently while mom was away on a trip. She had left a container of chili for sustenance. So we nuked some in the 'wave and pulled out a box of saltines. Finished off an open sleeve and opened the last one. I kept thinking "These just don't taste quite right...".

After the meal was finished and I was cleaning up, I checked the box. Best used by date was some time in 2016. This is 2018.

I tossed the rest and got new at the store the next day. And entertained myself by going through the fridge and pantry to see what else was out of date. Several things were not pretty...
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Hansontoons wrote: After the meal was finished and I was cleaning up, I checked the box. Best used by date was some time in 2016. This is 2018.
I make a point of doing that - but sometimes the basement larder gets overlooked in cleanout.

I still remember the container of ketchup that was 3 years out of date. Fascinatingly, it had aged to an almost barbecue-sauce brown...not particularly appetizing.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote:I still remember the container of ketchup that was 3 years out of date. Fascinatingly, it had aged to an almost barbecue-sauce brown...not particularly appetizing.
For a lot of foods, the "best by" date is just that - the flavor and appearance may deteriorate after that - but the food may still be perfectly safe to eat. In particular, if it's still in a sealed bottle or can, it's probably still as edible as it was when it was fresh. Twinkies, of course, will remain unchanged until sometime after the Sun burns out... and let's not talk about the lifetime of lutefisk, OK?

For ketchup, the color change might mean oxidation due to air contact (if the bottle was open) but might also indicate UV exposure. If the latter, probably not harmful, if unappetizing.

The thing to watch out for is swollen cans, or an unexpected release of gas when you open the top. If you observe those, throw it away without tasting any of it, no matter how old or new it may be. Botulism and other forms of bacterial food poisoning are no joke.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

I can respect that a person is self-aware enough that he knows he cannot dispassionately debate a topic.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave wrote:
Yeah, and I'm sharing these condolence Cookies, they taste pretty good... :P

PS- I'm not going to fit in any preassigned box. I am not in favour of the automatic panic reaction towards 'ban every firearm' (as an extreme example) that the pendulum swings towards when ever something goes bad like the recent events. What I find more applicable are that folks need to be better trained and held to a higher standard of expectations, by both the general public as well as the 'powers that be'. Too much is left to 'go with the flow' & 'my privacy is paramount', but what that equates to is lazy responsibility management & 'I cant be bothered, somebody else will take care of it...'.

My take on the recent events in the school in Florida is that it is not, fundamentally, a Gun Control issue but instead a Mental Health one.
Last edited by TazManiac on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, my rant was more about someone literally blaming me (instead of an individual who made his own choice) for the deaths of several people because I feel that the laws we already have (at least in this state) would be adequate, if they were properly enforced.
AnotherFairportfan

I said i wasn't gonna say anything. I'm not gonna.
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.