Sub (rosa)

Let your stereophile run loose! Talk gear, media, and other electronics that makes music for your ears.

Moderators: The Old Wolf, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Bookworm, Wapsi

Sub (rosa)

Postby TazManiac » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Sorry, the title isn't really germain, other than trying to be punny...

I came across a 12" Sub Woofer unit; https://www.parts-express.com/bic-formu ... uctDetails

BIC Formula F-12 Subwoofer.

It's a self-powered sub with High Level as well as Low Level (Source) inputs.
The amp is really rated @ 150W RMS, but it talks about 475W 'peak'.

I found it w/ a toggle switch on the back broken off, one that determines if the RCA port input is going to filter out the mids & highs or (otoh) it's to expect the signal to already be Lows Only.

It seems topower up alright, and the coil of the driver is intact, but I haven't yet determined if the Amp itself is toast or not.

If nothing else I'll just run the box with a dedicated (external) amplifier...
TazManiac

Re: Sub (rosa)

Postby Just Old Al » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:16 am

Nice catch! I'd make sure to isolate the frame of the box from the floor when you set it up, or your neighbours are going to be less-than-pleased with you.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Just Old Al

Re: Sub (rosa)

Postby TazManiac » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:31 pm

Well, here's where we are so far:

- Was able to hardwire the broken toggle switch in one of the two positions; I think it is in 'Defeat Filtering Incoming Signal' mode.

- Ran a Right Channel out of the laptop, via a 'Y' adapter cable, just to see what happens; Heard the Driver make noise...

- Looked around and noticed I didn't have a 5.1 receiver handy to hook up to. (There are many to choose from nearby, but it was late and I was sleepy by that time...)

Next up is sending a true LFE Signal to it and see if the driver/amp combo still have any semblance of fidelity.
TazManiac

Return to The Audio Room