Just Once 2017-12-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Just Once 2017-12-12

Post by AmriloJim »

AnotherFairportfan

Re: Just Once 2017-12-12

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Not exactly what i was anticipating.

Love that China dress
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Love that China dress
Brandi knows how to be the Dragon Lady, as we've seen in the past.
Dave

Post by Dave »

So, is Shelly proposing Luci as Castela's mentor in calmness? And, if so, why Luci in particular?
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave wrote:So, is Shelly proposing Luci as Castela's mentor in calmness? And, if so, why Luci in particular?

(somebody called this...)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

So, what, is Shelly gonna go full sphinx in front of them and take Jacqui down the rabbit hole? I suddenly have a feeling that Luci may know more than she's let on in the past, and might be a Para of some kind.

Though, there's also a lot of details I've forgotten about a lot of the old cast, so I could be way off here.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I couldn't think of a reason for Katherine to be surrounded by MIB, but I sure was not expecting Brandi...

By the way, shouldn't it be "call ME Brandi"?
eee

Post by eee »

Ah, Brandi, not Kath. This must be taking place at the same time as her conversation with Selene, instead of later.

I'm pleased to see Shelly and Luci seem to be getting along better. At least Shel is no longer intimidated by Luci's quietly intense personality. 80,000 years of personal growth can do that to you.
Dave wrote:So, is Shelly proposing Luci as Castela's mentor in calmness? And, if so, why Luci in particular?
IIRC, we've gotten hints that Luci had a REALLY rough time growing up, and had to become extremely centered and strong willed to survive. Those are traits Castela could use.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I just dont see Pickle going the calm cool and collected route. Shes more like Phix, clam right up till the explosion happens.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Hmm. Guess they didn’t stop for coffee, otherwise Billens there would have a salted Carmel latte popsicle.

Also... why does Brandi even need bodyguards? Or are they there to keep the public out of the way while mundanes are let in on the big secret?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote:I suddenly have a feeling that Luci may know more than she's let on in the past, and might be a Para of some kind.
Some sort of six-legged arthropod? Perhaps related to painted lady butterflies, and Hiroshi will turn out to know her.
GlytchMeister wrote:Also... why does Brandi even need bodyguards? Or are they there to keep the public out of the way while mundanes are let in on the big secret?
As often as not, people who go around surrounded by obvious bodyguards have them to make a statement (such as, "Look at me! I'm important!"), rather than because they really feel the need for security. So the question then is what sort of statement is Brandi trying to make?

We know that Jacqui was very well off financially, so she might come from a family of Very Important People and be used to this sort of show, and thus not so impressed. Especially since Brandi probably looks like a teenager still.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Luci grew up in an orphanage, and was never adopted. She's fixated (samuari?) on Jaqui for reasons not completely revealed. She's despised Shelly for her strength and liberty she doesn't see in herself, hence playing mean tricks on Shelly like letting the air out of her motorcycle tires.
GlytchMeister wrote:Also... why does Brandi even need bodyguards? Or are they there to keep the public out of the way while mundanes are let in on the big secret?
Brandi is going to introduce her panther side, while Shelly does the Sphinx. Luci's life has been very parallel to Cass, so...

I have a feeling Luci is much, much deeper than she's been portrayed. Like, Shaolin master type, maybe? Jaqui has simply been focused on her own life and job enough that Luci glomed on to her as a way to complete her studies in a safe environment -- hide in plain sight.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

GlytchMeister wrote:Hmm. Guess they didn’t stop for coffee, otherwise Billens there would have a salted Carmel latte popsicle.

Also... why does Brandi even need bodyguards? Or are they there to keep the public out of the way while mundanes are let in on the big secret?
Brandi does not look physically intimidating. Her bodyguard does. Therefore nobody attacks her, unless they think they can get through or around the bodyguard. And Brandi doesn't have to display the fact that she has nothing to fear from the average thug or gang (or battleship, or nuclear weapon, or...)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Luci revealed during an aside that she had been in Juvie Hall when younger. She's also tatted up like a mandelbrot painting.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

GlytchMeister wrote:Hmm. Guess they didn’t stop for coffee, otherwise Billens there would have a salted Carmel latte popsicle.
ISWYDT. :)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Luci revealed during an aside that she had been in Juvie Hall when younger. She's also tatted up like a mandelbrot painting.
Thanks, Joe (and others). I'd remembered that Luci and Shelly had had an ongoing clash, but hadn't remembered the details.

Hmmm. Wild surmise. What if Shelly's comment in the last panel today is meant to be taken literally? What if Luci is an insectomorph? Is there a green spectral trail winding around Punk Yoga? :twisted:

(Joe, your comment reminds me that I really need to dig out the source code for my old Macintosh II Mandelbrot-set program, and finish porting enough of it to a modern software architecture that I can run it on current hardware.)
Last edited by Dave on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Atomic wrote:I have a feeling Luci is much, much deeper than she's been portrayed. Like, Shaolin master type, maybe? Jaqui has simply been focused on her own life and job enough that Luci glomed on to her as a way to complete her studies in a safe environment -- hide in plain sight.
There's this, from 28 June 2011:
2011-06-28-dharma-luci.jpg
2011-06-28-dharma-luci.jpg (110.59 KiB) Viewed 9665 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

It's also possible that Brandi's just trying to rattle Jacqui and Luci, to see how they react. If they're thrown off-balance by a young woman with imposing bodyguards, then they're probably not up to wrangling the rabid kale.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Atomic wrote:
Luci grew up in an orphanage, and was never adopted. She's fixated (samuari?) on Jacqui for reasons not completely revealed. She's despised Shelly for her strength and liberty she doesn't see in herself,
She said something, in the past, about how she despised that Shelley seemed to not have to work at anything to get her way, to get rewarded for things Luci felt she didn't deserve, or something to that effect. She was impressed by Shelley's portal tattoo (she had expected Shelley to have some small, insignificant tattoo, and pretend she was now hardcore, or something...)
Atomic wrote:hence playing mean tricks on Shelly like letting the air out of her motorcycle tires.
Wasn't that in retaliation for annoying Luci? I seem to recall Shelly got Luci's car alarm going, so she could get past the front desk and talk to Jacqui, in spite of Luci's continued efforts to prevent that from happening...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

lake_wrangler wrote:By the way, shouldn't it be "call ME Brandi"?
Woohoo! I helped! :mrgreen: