Fan Art

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Hansontoons

Re: Phix Rox

Post by Hansontoons »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Huh. Missed the original on this...
It was snapped up quick on ebay. Jabberwonky based colors on a companion sketch of Phix (standing with guitar) that Paul had colored.
Hansontoons

Re: Fan Art

Post by Hansontoons »

The sketches-
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (56.96 KiB) Viewed 21616 times
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (52.99 KiB) Viewed 21616 times
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

GlytchMeister wrote:Colors yb Jabberwonky?
I still have Woozles in my keyboard from way back when...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Oh dear Jabberwonky! From cruising the pages near that link, I see Photobucket users now have to poke something to allow 3rd party hosting (including you)! The Fan Art section is being attacked by link rot!

From time to time I like to take a look back at the good stuff everybody's been posting over the years, and I'd hate to see it all go away. And if Photobucket is charging you for 3rd party links, sad for all of us!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Atomic wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Oh dear Jabberwonky! From cruising the pages near that link, I see Photobucket users now have to poke something to allow 3rd party hosting (including you)! The Fan Art section is being attacked by link rot!

From time to time I like to take a look back at the good stuff everybody's been posting over the years, and I'd hate to see it all go away. And if Photobucket is charging you for 3rd party links, sad for all of us!
Indeed... there was even a whole thread devoted to the subject... Three pages, a few other services suggested, as well as the suggestion of hosting your own web site, or at the very least having your own web site hosted by someone, and storing your photos there. Either of these would be cheaper than the $399 per year Photobucket now wants from people who use their service to host images being linked to from third party sites (such as this forum).

My problem would be to remember what images I have posted where, in order to redo the links to direct to some other hosting site... Then again, I don't recall posting much in way of images in this particular forum... And the one thing I do remember posting here, is hosted on YouTube, so that's not a problem.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Ack - I knew it rang a bell, just that my mind was elsewhere at the time. PhotoPhooie then. A loss for us all.

Webby types - is there a way to crawl the forums (at least the Fan Art area) for Photobucket links so that owners might edit and redirect as suitable? If nothing else, I could make a corner on my lightly used website for Wapsi contributor stuff and let y'all link from there.

My Deviant Art scribbles
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Atomic wrote:Ack - I knew it rang a bell, just that my mind was elsewhere at the time. PhotoPhooie then. A loss for us all.

Webby types - is there a way to crawl the forums (at least the Fan Art area) for Photobucket links so that owners might edit and redirect as suitable? If nothing else, I could make a corner on my lightly used website for Wapsi contributor stuff and let y'all link from there.
I think a simple two-point "advanced" search for posts containing photobucket by the poster's name should work . . . it appears so.

--FreeFlier
Last edited by FreeFlier on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:Ack - I knew it rang a bell, just that my mind was elsewhere at the time. PhotoPhooie then. A loss for us all.

Yes, that's quite possible... simply crawling and storing the pages is easy, actually parsing them and extracting the image URLs and indexing the forum postings in which they appear is a rather more complex job. I'll have to take a look at some of the HTML and see if it's straightforward enough for my limited Web-specific skills to be able to rip apart and index.

I'm sure there are professional-grade web tools which could do this automatically and quickly but I have no access to same.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Google Drive does allow for linking, it's just that you have to do some altering of the link URL to allow it to be shown.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:Google Drive does allow for linking, it's just that you have to do some altering of the link URL to allow it to be shown.
Not only that, but it would mean leaving your image in your Google drive forever from that point on, taking up valuable space in the meantime. I'll gladly share photos using Google Drive, Dropbox, or MegaSync, but once I have confirmation that the receiving party has indeed taken a copy of the image in question (or folder, if I am sharing many photos, for instance), I will remove them from whatever service I used, so as to leave room for other stuff.

For me to share images to forums, I would need to store my images to a place that would not take up my storage space on those file syncing services. And I don't want to pay for it, if it can be avoided, or at least pay as little as possible, otherwise, because sharing images with people is just not a high priority on my budget, so it shouldn't be a high portion of my budget...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote:I'm sure there are professional-grade web tools which could do this automatically and quickly but I have no access to same.
Ditto. I could crawl 100+ pages and scope every photobucket placeholder, but much easier to search the HTML directly, for multiple pages if possible. I don't have access to Dreamweaver anymore, and that had a site search tool back in the day. Sniff.

At any rate, if you've got something you still want posted in Fan Art that's gone bye-bye due to link rot, let me know and I'll host it if you can't. Once I mount it on my site, you'll have to edit the link. All done.

Now all I have to do is find another FTP tool since the latest Firefox upgrade has borked FIreFTP. Any suggestions?

My Deviant Art scribbles
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:Now all I have to do is find another FTP tool since the latest Firefox upgrade has borked FIreFTP. Any suggestions?
Dare I suggest using a standard command-line FTP client? :?

And, yeah, the days of Firefox as a general-purpose GUI engine seem to have passed. NPAPI joins the pile of technology that have passed into the Great Bit Bucket.
Last edited by Dave on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Atomic wrote:Now all I have to do is find another FTP tool since the latest Firefox upgrade has borked FIreFTP. Any suggestions?
I'm also a bit incensed about FFv57 screwing up perfectly good apps. FTP is not one of those, however. I've used Filexilla for close to 20 years now. Standalone freeware, very solid. https://filezilla-project.org/download.php
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

AmriloJim wrote:
I'm also a bit incensed about FFv57 screwing up perfectly good apps. FTP is not one of those, however. I've used Filexilla for close to 20 years now. Standalone freeware, very solid. https://filezilla-project.org/download.php
Ox a lentie! I've installed and it's basically what I had with my old system. Thanks for the suggestion!

My Deviant Art scribbles
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AmriloJim wrote:
I'm also a bit incensed about FFv57 screwing up perfectly good apps.
And the perennial NoScript is on that funeral pyre as well.
The new version, while seeming to actually work at it's core has a very clunky interface, may or may not 'hold settings' between sessions, and definitely looks and feels unfinished.
I think its a matter of time before things settle down, I have hope it will all improve. Any day now...

(Now I gotta go 'Google some more stuff I read that Dave posted'...)

edit- Ah!; (from the Wikipedia):
Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI) is an application programming interface (API) that allows plugins (more specifically, browser extensions) to be developed for web browsers. It was first developed for Netscape browsers, starting in 1995 with Netscape Navigator 2.0, but was subsequently adopted by other browsers.
I even knows what Netscape is (was)!
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

NS - was... I hears ya!

When FF rolled out v57, first thing I noticed was a major change in the New Tab page. Can't rearrange the icons, automatically adds every page you visit as a "Top Site" and a limit of 12 icons.

Then I accidentally shut down FF v56.0.2 on my research machine... damn thing installed v57 on its own. That's when I discovered the FireShot add-on now requires ten clicks to do the work of two... plus, it limits save locations to the C: drive only, Where I was using a dedicated flash drive as the capture repository. I immediately reinstalled v56.0.2 and reinstalled FireShot... back in business.

WRONG! Two days later, MS pushed a Win10 update, and v57 was back! Reinstall v56.0.2, and go to rollback FireShot... guess which previous version's no longer supported?

So, as for using older versions of Firefox, resistance is futile. I've found a standalone snapshot utility that does most of what the old FireShot did, and my research project is back on track.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

I think Laura Dern would approve.

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Applause, applause!

My Deviant Art scribbles
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Everyone's a critic...
2018-04-26 a bassist.png
2018-04-26 a bassist.png (41.78 KiB) Viewed 20661 times
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Jabberwonky's avatar is currently very appropriate... Well done.