The practical meaning of "Don't Be Evil"?

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

The practical meaning of "Don't Be Evil"?

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

U.K. lawsuit aims to win British iPhone users $1.35 billion from Google
Mark Jansen/DigitalTrends wrote:Google has denied that the claims are valid, and holds that the breach was not serious enough to break each users’ human rights, and should have originally been tried in California.
This reminds me of the verdict on one of the guys charged in the My Lai thing - decoded from the military legalese, it was:
There was no massacre.

If there was, he wasn't there

And even if he was there, he didn't do it.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: The practical meaning of "Don't Be Evil"?

Post by AmriloJim »

Bart Simpson wrote:I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. You can't prove anything.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Some years ago, I was interviewing a musician (Jon Field of "Jade Warrior") and mentioned that I'd learned of two movie soundtracks that the band had worked on, in between albums.
Jon Field wrote:Oh, God. Murder. I can't bear it. I can't bear any of it! (laughter) But, you see what I mean - you see what happens when you get off the track, it all goes wrong, you do that sort of thing. Anyhow, never mind. Can't be helped. It was two other blokes called Smith. I must have been in hospital with a broken leg at the time... almost certainly.
AnotherFairportfan

AmriloJim wrote:
Bart Simpson wrote:I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. You can't prove anything.
Jughead Jones wrote:Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

"I really didn't say everything I said." -- Yogi Berra

(Although in his case... he was quoted as saying several things that he really didn't say.)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it!" -- Yogi Berra

It turns out he was describing how to get to his house. He lived on a loop drive with a single entrance. Therefore, a turn into either loop road would pass his house, so....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Atomic wrote:"When you come to a fork in the road, take it!" -- Yogi Berra

It turns out he was describing how to get to his house. He lived on a loop drive with a single entrance. Therefore, a turn into either loop road would pass his house, so....
At one time my first wife and i lived in an apartment complex where we'd tell people coming to see us for the first time there "Turn left till you can't go any further and then look downhill."
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

My dad lives on an unpaved township road that runs between two intersecting state roads. There are no houses between his driveway and the upper state road, so the township doesn't plow that part. I tell people looking for his place, When you get to the No Winter Maintenance sign--you're there!
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.