Fan Art

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

GlytchMeister

Re: Fan Art

Post by GlytchMeister »

Or use a 3 dimensional structure. Or arrange characters in a circle - I recall the Bible's verses being arranged in a big circle and inter-verse references were displayed via lines.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

I was also thinking about an interactive solution. Take a look at this image map rollover discussion: http://www.andensolutions.com/blog/responsiveImagePaths
The base page would have all of the characters using "trading card" style headshots and basic facts. Each card would have an image-mapped area, either the entire card or a "Rollover for relationships" strip along the bottom of each card, which would display a transparent path overlay with relationship paths and comments.
A character could even have multiple relationship overlays, say 1) immediate family/personal, 2) Gryphon High and 3) Dragon's Wall.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'm not even bothering yet with the relationships with the "old guard".
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Here's the basics that I'm using for each character. I didn't put Tepoz in there, because I hadn't originally planned on using the Phix and Company drawing.

Relationship Chart (PDF format)
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

A coloring attempt on a one-shot that Pablo put out there. FIrst, digital coloring:

Next: colored pencil version. (This one looks more organic, but unfortunately more like "kid coloring"):
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Not bad! What digital art package are you using? You can probably make an Ink layer from the original and then color under it to avoid the edge gaps.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

For colored pencils, I learned that using very light pressure and rapid, full-length strokes edge to edge will make for a smoother coloring. Just keep going over the same spot to get more saturation - if pressure is required, very very gradually increase pressure every time you add a layer. Use a good polymer eraser to clean up the edges, and use a finger or a paper stick or something to blend the strokes together for even more smoothness. Pastels are generally better for blending and smooth color, though, and you can make color-to-color gradients. They are also messier and possibly more expensive and not as easy to find. :/
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Atomic wrote:Not bad! What digital art package are you using? You can probably make an Ink layer from the original and then color under it to avoid the edge gaps.
Combination of Paint and PSP Photo. I hate layers, mostly because I'm so used to pixel art.

Yeah, the pencil one looks better in person. Trying to get a flesh tone from the pencil selection was a tad difficult.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I think i've mentioned before that i'm a member of SFPA (Southern Fandom Publishing Association - i think that's what it stands for; mostly we just argue about whether it's pronounced seff-PA or SAFF-pah... It's been running something like fifty years, and i've been an active member since 1975, contributing one or more publications to the bimonthly bundle and only missing one or two in that time.

Anyway, every two months i produce a publication that's somewhere between a "real" fanzine and a personal newsletter, discussing SF, comics, movies, the world ... but mostly discussing what everybody else said last mailing. I print thirty copies, send them in to the "official editor" who assembles bundles{"mailings"} with one copy of everything and sends one to each member.

I used to describe it as like a USENET newsgroup with a sixty-day latency. {The possibilities for flamewars in an asynchronous high-latency medium should be obvious, but we haven't had one in some time...}

ANYWAY.

I usually find a song i like, then i pick a line from it to use as a zine title, and then i create a cover to fit the song.

Sometimes, however, an image may cause me to think of a song and to create a cover using that image. I recently did one called "Seasonings of the Witch", based on a wallpaper image by Tselsebar, the creator of the sadly-defunct webcomic "Cheer!":
witch.jpg
witch.jpg (139.19 KiB) Viewed 20128 times
{This is a horizontal-format 11x8.5" page size.}

Anyway, the first image of Atsali in her waitress outfit stimulated my creative juices. So, there was Atsali in her dirndl on Paul's eBay page, and, well...
mopps.jpg
mopps.jpg (188.12 KiB) Viewed 20128 times
{This is a wraparound cover, printed on 11x17" paper and then folded and saddle-stapled. so the page size if 8.5x11". The vertical white lins - which is not there on the actual printed version - shows where the fold falls. Everything to the left of that line is on the back cover and you have to open it out to see it. To the right is what you see when you first pick it up.}

The title, for those who don't recognise it, is a line from this song.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

So this is what you see when you pick it up:
mopps2.jpg
mopps2.jpg (177.81 KiB) Viewed 20124 times
No hint of the Atsaliness awaiting when you open it out.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

As long as i'm on a roll talking about my zine covers, this one has nothing to do with Wapsi, but it's the same wrap-around-tease effect.

This one is 8.5x7" {folded and saddle-stapled legal-size format}. If you're not reading the comic {why the hell not?}, it's from the webcomic Sammy. Not sure just what Sammy is - whether she's a cyborg or a full-on droid. But the comic is cute and fun. {The site sucks dead monotreme through a bendy straw, but wotthehell, wotthell, life's too short to get too worked up about things like that.}

The full spread {again with a line added to mark the fold}:
sammy.jpg
sammy.jpg (65.68 KiB) Viewed 20123 times
...and what you'd see when you first pick it up:
sammy2.jpg
sammy2.jpg (43.02 KiB) Viewed 20122 times
AnotherFairportfan

{Oops - i originally uploaded the wrong image; i have replaced it with the one with LW's translation}

And this one from a while back.

{French translation of "So, my dear Dust Bunny - we meet again!" supplied by Lake Wrangler, BTW.}:
rightbunny.jpg
rightbunny.jpg (246.68 KiB) Viewed 20108 times
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:And this one from a while back.

{French translation of "So, my dear Dust Bunny - we meet again!" supplied by Lake Wrangler, BTW.}:
Umm... didn't I say that it was "ma chère", since she was addressing a female, and that the "le" in front of "Lapin" was not necessary? :?

I don't recall seeing the final product, or I would have spoken sooner...
AnotherFairportfan

lake_wrangler wrote:

Umm... didn't I say that it was "ma chère", since she was addressing a female, and that the "le" in front of "Lapin" was not necessary? :?

I'm pretty sure that i just copy/pasted your translation.

Let me check and see if i still have the PMs.
AnotherFairportfan

lake_wrangler wrote:

I'm pretty sure that i just copy/pasted your translation.

Let me check and see if i still have the PMs.

===================

Oops.

Wrong image.

That was the first try, before i contacted you.

Here's the one i copy/pasted your translation into:
rightbunny.jpg
rightbunny.jpg (246.68 KiB) Viewed 20109 times
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

That makes more sense... Of course, now both the original post and the updated one have the updated version on it, which now makes it sound like I was complaining for no reason... :P 8-) :lol:
Jabberwonky

Phix Rox

Post by Jabberwonky »

Just a quickie...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Applause!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Phix Rox

Jabberwonky wrote:Just a quickie...
Huh. Missed the original on this...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Colors yb Jabberwonky?
I'm too much!