Not That 2017-10-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Cheesy1

Not That 2017-10-12

Post by Cheesy1 »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/not-that/

Scarlet is about to have herself a nice little freak-out.
ChattaStarhawk

Re: Not That 2017-10-12

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

OK, now I want to know if what was recorded matches what words Scarlet heard... if it doesn't there may have been something else in the room at the time.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Cheesy1 wrote: . . . Scarlet is about to have herself a nice little freak-out.
Don't know about that adverb . . . "little".

So are there two ghosts (or whatever they are), or did Scarlet hear "Mervin" much much differently?

Gripping hand, is there one ghost with a split personality?

--FreeFlier
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

I'd like to see a comparison of content... have Scarlet make notes on what she remembers, then carefully listen to recorded sounds and see if there's a correlation. (That is, if the recorded sounds carry enough recognizable dpeech.)
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Thats the problem with EVP, the recordings are often so crappy what is being said if anything is open to interpretation.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
eee

Post by eee »

Speaking words backwards into a recorder, then paying it backwards to hear it frontwards, that's... that's a thing? :shock:

Scarlett's fear might make Castela angry that the ghost terrified her this way. An angry Pickle is something even a ghost might have to fear, in turn.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

FreeFlier wrote:So are there two ghosts (or whatever they are), or did Scarlet hear "Mervin" much much differently?

Gripping hand, is there one ghost with a split personality?

--FreeFlier
HA! It took! I wasn't expecting that, but now it's funnier. I got the idea for that name from Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

But I'm wondering if she heard the voice as it actually was, due to her ability to communicate with ghosts, and the voice on the recorder sounds differently because the recorder is different from whatever enables her to hear ghosts.

(Somehow, though, I don't think Paul will name the ghost Mervin...)
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote:But I'm wondering if she heard the voice as it actually was, due to her ability to communicate with ghosts, and the voice on the recorder sounds differently because the recorder is different from whatever enables her to hear ghosts.
That's kind of what I was wondering. Maybe she heard the ghost in the "natural" way, while the recorder picked up the words with a lot of distortion and interference and interpretation.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:That's kind of what I was wondering. Maybe she heard the ghost in the "natural" way, while the recorder picked up the words with a lot of distortion and interference and interpretation.
Auto-tune just doesn't work correctly for ghost voices.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Dave wrote:Auto-tune just doesn't work correctly for ghost voices.
Dunno... works pretty god for some of the spooks on the pop and rap scenes.

Going solely for the spectral connection here... no inadvertent ethnic comment intended.
(Dave, the possibility of a misread did cross my mind, but I have faith in my fellow users' moral compasses.)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

For a moment, I thought you meant that there were CIA operatives posing as "musicians."

(Come on, NOBODY plays an instrument at a rap concert, beyond someone dicking about with a modified record player...)
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.