Downtown Hartford AL

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

Downtown Hartford AL

Post by Fairportfan »

Town Square, Hartford Alabama, Saturday Afternoon, 24 November 2012

360-degree (slightly more, actually) panoramic image, stitched from 82 individual shots. The original image is 22,016 x 4,141 pixels, and about 11 meg. Click here for larger view.)

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
lake_wrangler

Re: Downtown Hartford AL

Post by lake_wrangler »

2 questions:

What are you trying to convey, here? (i.e. what is the purpose of showing us these photos? - Please do not read annoyance, but rather, inquisitive curiosity into that statement/question.)

What's with the two half cars?

OK, three questions...
Did you take those yourself?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote:2 questions:

What are you trying to convey, here? (i.e. what is the purpose of showing us these photos? - Please do not read annoyance, but rather, inquisitive curiosity into that statement/question.)

What's with the two half cars?

OK, three questions...
Did you take those yourself?
A) Nothing in particular - just sort of documenting where i've been and showing off. I take pictures. I show them to people.

B) There are half cars because i turned the 360 three times at different levels, and they were stopped at the light the second time around but not the first, and so, when i combined the shots using Microsoft Digital Image Composite Editor (which is free, BTW, and works really well for stitching groups of images), that was the result.*

Note that the light pole near center is slightly mis-aligned with itself, as well.

C) Yep. I wish i'd waited twenty or so minutes before i shot the flag, so the sun would have been a touch lower.

===================

* You ought to see what can happen when you do a panorama of an exhibition hall with people walking around...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:* You ought to see what can happen when you do a panorama of an exhibition hall with people walking around...
A half-hectare of hemiguests?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Fairportfan wrote:A) Nothing in particular - just sort of documenting where i've been and showing off. I take pictures. I show them to people.
Interesting. I, too, take lots of pictures, but I hardly show them at all... :roll:
I do, however, use them as part of my desktop wallpaper, cycling through them...
Fairportfan wrote:B) There are half cars because i turned the 360 three times at different levels, and they were stopped at the light the second time around but not the first, and so, when i combined the shots using Microsoft Digital Image Composite Editor (which is free, BTW, and works really well for stitching groups of images), that was the result.*
I'll have to look into that software. I recently installed Windows 7 on my computer, and while the software for downloading photos from my camera to the computer did install fine, the software for stitching photos together did not...
Fairportfan wrote:Note that the light pole near center is slightly mis-aligned with itself, as well.
Now that you mention it...
Fairportfan wrote:C) Yep. I wish i'd waited twenty or so minutes before i shot the flag, so the sun would have been a touch lower.
A lot of my photos are light-related (be it rising or setting sun and its effect on things). But most times, I do not have the luxury of waiting for a better light composition, as I am snapping them from the bus I am driving... (Don't worry, I am not putting anyone in danger by doing so: most of the time, I am stopped at a light or something, when I snap the picture; other times I am driving slowly, in not too congested areas, and once I have seen that which I want to photograph, I keep my eyes on the road while snapping the photo with the left hand out the window, a technique I have perfected during the last few years of taking long driving vacations...)

Fairportfan wrote:* You ought to see what can happen when you do a panorama of an exhibition hall with people walking around...
*Snrk*
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

A comparison of several free image stitchers.

Microsoft DICE beats the best not-free stitcher i've tried (Serif PanoramaPlus*) in ease of use and results. (However, PanoramaPlus can extract frames from video to stitch.)

========================

* Hmmm - i see PP is up to version 4; the latest i've tried is V3...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Hey hey! It works!

Here's a panorama I took of the Blue Ridge Mountains, from I-81, in VA, last summer:

The original is 27954 X 2900 pixels... But this above is the biggest I can get as an upload to a free Photobucket account... I may eventually pay for the premium service, at which point it will allow me to upload full size, if I recall... but for now, this will do.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Nice! I visited once up in the Winchester-Berryville area.