Trespass Comments Section

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Just Old Al

Re: Trespass Comments Section

Post by Just Old Al »

DinkyInky wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:I will show the more... intimate... images of Ialin with her ... toys... unless you stand down.
Ialin wrote:So what you are saying is that you want me to wear my full plate battle armour and beat you senseless with various weaponry...er, "toys". And yes, I know intimately how to maximise damage with them.

That can easily be arranged. I might even ask the mage to photograph it for your memoirs.
Safyr wrote:I might lend my assistance if you ask nicely,
and there really is no way to misinterpret what I mean when I call something a toy. :twisted:
Oh, Gods...he'd like that. NOW you've done it....

Prob'ly ask Saf to wear the outfit she wore in Boston.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

FreeFlier wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Besides, tracked vehicles are gas guzzlers... while effective at crawling over nearly any sort of terrain, it is not the most efficient means of converting rotational motion into horizontal motion.

But yea, as long as there are no weapons mounted, and you remove the mounts as well, and get all the approval papers and license plates, and have the pavement treads... perfectly legal.
In most places you don't even need to remove the weapons mounts . . . only in the repressive ones like New Jersey.

Pavement treads aren't exactly required either . . . but they tend to call it malicious mischief or something of that sort and require you to pay fines on top of the damages if you don't use them.

BTW, many of the half-tracks have continuous rubber treads . . . essentially giant rubber bands with steel-cable reinforcements inside of them, the equivalent of the steel belts in tires.
GlytchMeister wrote:Seems to me there oughta be a way to put tire-wheels just inside the tracks, so when you gotta switch from "Nothing shall stand in my way" mode to "next stop, the other end of the damn state" mode, just jack the wheels down, lift the whole thing up about six inches, and away you go.
That's been tried any number of times . . . it doesn't work very well, partially because of the weight and the need for separate drive-trains (the needs are too different).
GlytchMeister wrote: . . . Kinda like those bigass trucks I see once in a while where I work that have wheels for train tracks and tires for pavement.
If you look closely, most of those just use the highrailer wheels for guidance and part of the weight-carrying, and the drive wheels of the truck still ride on the rails for the drive and part of the weight support. I own a former one of those trucks, and it's a standard truck once the highrailers are removed.

--FreeFlier
...This may be a bit presumptuous... but I'm preeeetty sure you don't own one of these.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

GlytchMeister wrote:
FreeFlier wrote: . . .
GlytchMeister wrote: . . . Kinda like those bigass trucks I see once in a while where I work that have wheels for train tracks and tires for pavement.
If you look closely, most of those just use the highrailer wheels for guidance and part of the weight-carrying, and the drive wheels of the truck still ride on the rails for the drive and part of the weight support. I own a former one of those trucks, and it's a standard truck once the highrailers are removed.
...This may be a bit presumptuous... but I'm preeeetty sure you don't own one of these.
No, but my employer does. That's a railcar mover, sometimes known as a Trackmobile (which is actually a make of such). Most people have never seen one, since they usually live inside an industrial plant's grounds. (Also, I would not describe that as a "truck" . . . more like a tractor.)

Your description is sufficiently vague to lead me to believe you were describing a medium to heavy truck lightly modified to run on rails as well as the road. They are used pretty much universally for maintenance-of-way operations in the United States because they can leave the tracks at any grade crossing or team track, instead of having to be switched off the mainline like a speeder or locomotive. This makes it much easier to clear the mainline for a revenue train.

Mine is a five-ton Chevrolet, and the rail wheel installation was removed when the railroad sold it out as over-age, which reverted it to a standard medium truck.

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Also, Freeflier did say "most". The modified highway-type trucks he describes are pretty common; the railcar movers, notably less so. In part because the former are general-purpose equipment modified to be even more general-purpose, while the latter are specialized equipment (and significantly larger, more powerful, and probably more expensive).
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Railcar movers are expensive enough to have them rebuilt when they wear . . . most of the truck conversions are sold out surplus like a regular truck that's showing wear. Given that a "standard" Kenworth* can run a quarter of a million dollars, that's pretty expensive.

*Kenworths aren't exactly standard in the same sense Fords or Chevies are standard . . . KWs are all built to order, and the buyer can specify almost any combination of engine, transmission and axles that can be obtained and combined. Kenworth may decline to warranty it, but it can be ordered.

One man I knew ordered a KW and specified the weight on each axle . . . It came out 600 lbs (270kg) overweight, and he rejected it. "If I was willing to have it 600 pounds heavier, I'd have ordered a Peterbilt!" :lol: KW had to go back through and carefully peel the extra weight out.

--FreeFlier
Last edited by FreeFlier on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

That ain't a Tractor, thats a Tug Boat.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Just Old Al wrote:
Safyr wrote:I might lend my assistance if you ask nicely,
and there really is no way to misinterpret what I mean when I call something a toy. :twisted:
Oh, Gods...he'd like that. NOW you've done it....

Prob'ly ask Saf to wear the outfit she wore in Boston.
Bwahahahahaaaaaaa! How did I miss this one?

Wait, so how does Sarge know what Ialin(or Safyr) wore in Boston?
Fergus wrote:The Sassaenach is a wee gossiping milkmaid, tha's why!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

DinkyInky wrote: Wait, so how does Sarge know what Ialin(or Safyr) wore in Boston?
Fergus wrote:The Sassaenach is a wee gossiping milkmaid, tha's why!
Because all the Other Realm types gossip and Greg is a master at intelligence gathering? Though knowing old Blue and Deadly she outed herself on that one.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Or the Russian wrote a drunken bar song about her and someone connected some dots.
I'm too much!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

GlytchMeister wrote:Or the Russian wrote a drunken bar song about her and someone connected some dots.
Vladimir wrote:I would never do such a thing - it would simply be neukulturny. That red hair and those blue eyes....so delightfully dangerous. The filthy old Englishman does not deserve to have her as his "assistant"..
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Just Old Al wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Or the Russian wrote a drunken bar song about her and someone connected some dots.
Vladimir wrote:I would never do such a thing - it would simply be neukulturny. That red hair and those blue eyes....so delightfully dangerous. The filthy old Englishman does not deserve to have her as his "assistant"..
Glytch-the-character wrote:You’ve got no idea what he deserves, Comrade Geriatric. I got an idea for what you deserve, though... y’know, I still owe you a gut punch, courtesy of your subordinate. I’ve got this nifty little design inspired by the MythBusters... a nice little nitrogen cannon...
I'm too much!
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Glytchie, let it pass. Detente, comrade.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Glytch-the-character wrote:You’ve got no idea what he deserves, Comrade Geriatric. I got an idea for what you deserve, though... y’know, I still owe you a gut punch, courtesy of your subordinate. I’ve got this nifty little design inspired by the MythBusters... a nice little nitrogen cannon...
Billens wrote:Just remember, kid, I have a very high-powered magnet, and I know how to use it.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:
Al wrote: Glytch, lad - don't you think you wreaked sufficient amounts of Hades by helping Greg blow up the Commandancia? I do believe the debt's been paid. If I can forgive him for having a knife at my throat I do believe we can call this one paid. For me, please.

Anyway, I do enjoy the thought of the perpetual case of priapism he has having met Safyr.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

*ROFLMAO*

You guys are hilarious(and not just because I'm on painkillers that don't actually stop the pain).

"Blue and deadly"

*ROFL*
Safyr wrote:I only would do so only if it would not hurt you Al...you are family.
"High-powered magnet"

*LMAO*
Safyr wrote:Agent Billens, your magnetism only goes so far, child.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Billens wrote:Just remember, kid, I have a very high-powered magnet, and I know how to use it.
Glytch-the-character wrote:*Narrows eyes*
You wouldn’t. The bill you’d get from MIB might actually make a dent in your ancient investment accounts. Besides, the nitro cannon didn’t need electricity to run...
Al wrote: Glytch, lad - don't you think you wreaked sufficient amounts of Hades by helping Greg blow up the Commandancia? I do believe the debt's been paid. If I can forgive him for having a knife at my throat I do believe we can call this one paid. For me, please.

Anyway, I do enjoy the thought of the perpetual case of priapism he has having met Safyr.
Glytch-the-character wrote:*grumbles*
Fine...
I'm too much!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Safyr wrote:I only would do so only if it would not hurt you Al...you are family.
I someday really need to hear Saf's take on that whole situation...probably would start out with "And the old fool walked into the ONE inn in that city that had a deadly enemy in it. He could have gone ANYWHERE ELSE, but NO he had to find the one enemy he had there."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

She would have no take on it unless you said it was okay to say. To her it was a mission, you asked for help, she 'helped', you got out of danger gracefully.

--Safyr Drathmir