Land Sakes 2012-12-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
davids4250

Land Sakes 2012-12-03

Post by davids4250 »

Yup, she was set up, otherwise Euyrale would not be so perky.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Mark N

Re: Land Sakes 2012-12-03

Post by Mark N »

Yup, but two annoyingly nagging questions still remains, Is Nudge still alive (I think she is, Phix would not be so cold about it if she was not) and does she have a connection to Tsillah (the facial markings on both of them are the same after all)?
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Good for you, Monica! We have a huge laundry list of beings we want you to kill in the way most terrifying to them!

T minus 18 days.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Monica now appears to be in an "anti-Nudge" club. I think the "common ground" she spoke of may mean that they all have a beef with Nudge.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Dave

Post by Dave »

But why "breathing easier" and "thanks are in order"? Those sound a bit ominous, as far as Nudge's safety goes. If what Phix is saying is "We'll all breathe easier now that you've done the worst thing possible to Nudge... thanks for getting her our of our hair, Monica!" that would be very bad indeed for the trickster... and Monica's journey to the Dark Side will be picking up momentum.

On the other hand, if Phix is saying "We'll all breathe easier now that you've woken up and realized how dangerous you can be... thanks for coming out of denial and pulling your head out of your butt" it would be less bad, and maybe not bad at all (if somebody/something was standing ready, and trumped Nudge away before she fried).

Gaah. Still hanging on a cliff, we are.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I'm gonna go with, this was all a grand conspiracy to get Monica to own up to what she is really capable of. Phix, Tsilla and Eyrale are playing the one of us monsters thing hard here, I think to drive home that Monica is dangerous and can choose how she interacts with her world.

And the creeping fear I had that Nudge has been permanently done in is mitigated by Phix's blase attitude about Judge's apparent demise. Phix cares for Nudge.

Of course, Monica doesn't know that. She wasn't privy to Phxl's airborne rescue. For all she knows, Phix is genuinely glad Nudge is gone.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Dave wrote:On the other hand, if Phix is saying "We'll all breathe easier now that you've woken up and realized how dangerous you can be... thanks for coming out of denial and pulling your head out of your butt" it would be less bad, and maybe not bad at all (if somebody/something was standing ready, and trumped Nudge away before she fried).
This is what I'm hoping for.

But to deconstruct this further ('cause that never happens around here), since Phix says "the foreseeable future," Nudge may still be alive...sort of. Perhaps THAT is Nudge's worst fear: Not being killed by hot liquid magma, but so severely injured by it that she needs a long time to recover - or find a way to remove herself from a volcanic tomb. Sort of an "And I Must Scream" situation. *shudder* That would be horrifying.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Boxilar wrote: And the creeping fear I had that Nudge has been permanently done in is mitigated by Phix's blase attitude about Judge's apparent demise. Phix cares for Nudge.
Judge? Did a judge die? Whad I miss? :lol:
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
ShadOBabe

Post by ShadOBabe »

All of this seems like they're really just screwing with her...
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

ShadOBabe wrote:All of this seems like they're really just screwing with her...
Cue Dark Helmet: "Fooled you!"
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

Whee! We need to have a graduation party!
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
Dave

Post by Dave »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Boxilar wrote: And the creeping fear I had that Nudge has been permanently done in is mitigated by Phix's blase attitude about Judge's apparent demise. Phix cares for Nudge.
Nope. Not dead. Any moment now, Phix and Tsillah and Euryale will start doing a can-can dance, while chanting "Here come da Nudge! Here come da Nudge! Order in da court, 'cause here come da Nudge!" and they'll have a good laugh-in at Monica's expense. 8-)
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Actually, this reaction hints Nudge isn't really dead. In that case, she's more on common ground with Shelly and Bud than Phix. Phix is at least successful when she goes homicidal, and Euryale's attempts seemed more accidental (and lacking the whole sociopath angle).
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

I fucking give up. I just give up.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

In all seriousness, there's more than one part of "her": "You won't let you be hurt by anything."

Something Nudge said must have struck deep into that other "her".

This is only the first stage of the operation. The Library is in Limbo, where Phix cannot be harmed and time and space do not operate as it does elsewhere; a safe place to proceed. There's a part of M that needs to be called out, recognized and....

...parsed.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Dave

Post by Dave »

sonicthunder wrote:Actually, this reaction hints Nudge isn't really dead. In that case, she's more on common ground with Shelly and Bud than Phix. Phix is at least successful when she goes homicidal, and Euryale's attempts seemed more accidental (and lacking the whole sociopath angle).
Well, Phix is only at 33% in her recent rage history. She did take down Medeia with one punch... but she was unsuccessful in slaughtering Nudge despite two direct assaults and a serious chase, and it doesn't seem likely that she damaged Bia very much (well, Bia is a Titan).

I think the common ground is "Powerful enough to do lethal damage to other, very powerful entities, and should therefore be very careful about acting on impulse."

Sorta like being a skilled martial artist, in a way. You have "equipment" that the average human does not (even if it's just training and skill and experience, rather than something paranormal) and therefore have an additional responsibility.

All of the GGs, Shelly, Phix, and Euryale are, or have been in this situation. Monica has been, I think, ever since she learned to poit, and her ability to command the GGs put her in that same situation "by proxy". Her recent leveling-up with near-immortality has simply exacerbated things...

... and she's been stoutfastly trying to ignore or deny the situation (for reasons that make a lot of psychological sense, I think). That doesn't make her dangerousness go away; it might well make it worse. That's what Shelly and Bud were trying to get through to her... and she still wasn't ready to get the point.

Now, I think she is. The banks of denial have just flooded over.

Maybe, if this was indeed a setup (looks likely), Monica has learned an important (but painful!) lesson about her own power, in time to keep her from actually becoming a murderer.

Harsh medicine, yes... but was it unnecessarily harsh and cruel? I don't think we know that yet.
Last edited by Dave on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

NOTDilbert wrote:
You missed me not double checking that my dastardly auto correct wasn't putting words in my mouth. Or on the page, at any rate.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Boxilar wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:
You missed me not double checking that my dastardly auto correct wasn't putting words in my mouth. Or on the page, at any rate.
Yeah, more proof I'm not ready for a machine to guess what I'm thinking. ;)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Boxilar wrote:I'm gonna go with, this was all a grand conspiracy to get Monica to own up to what she is really capable of. Phix, Tsilla and Eyrale are playing the one of us monsters thing hard here, I think to drive home that Monica is dangerous and can choose how she interacts with her world.

And the creeping fear I had that Nudge has been permanently done in is mitigated by Phix's blase attitude about Judge's apparent demise. Phix cares for Nudge.

Of course, Monica doesn't know that. She wasn't privy to Phxl's airborne rescue. For all she knows, Phix is genuinely glad Nudge is gone.
Reading sown the posts in order, so i don't know if this has been proposed:

Was that even Nudge ... or one of Tsillah's "shadows"?

And, looking at Tsillah in this page really makes me wonder if that "Tina-under-the-mistletoe" page was (you'll pardon me, this is not a pun) foreshadowing? I mean we talked about how the shadow didn't seem to match Tina, and how it almost appeared to have eyes...

====================

EDIT: Can't believe i typed "Nudge" - twice - when i meant "Tina".
Last edited by Fairportfan on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

It's more than that. All of them, especially Phix, are trying to drive home that beings of great power screw up. Eyrale accidentally freezes people. Phix gets pushed past her breaking point and lashes out. They all have lethal potential, bit it doesn't make them care any less or keep them from regretting the things they've done.

Monica apparently had decided on some level that All Phix was was a souless monster. And that probably has a lot to do with her denial. Phix is a souless monster because she's powerful if Monica is powerful, she must be a souless monster too. The ladies are doing some cognitive realignment.