Captain Queeg commits genocide ...

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Re: Captain Queeg commits genocide ...

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

DinkyInky wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Dare I even ask what this movie is actually called?
"Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets"

Destined to be this decade's "Fifth Element".
Hard Pass then, as I disliked Fifth Element.
The reason i phrased it like that is that "Fifth Element" opened to a fair amount of derision and poor reviews ...

It now shows 72% positive among critics on RottenTomatoes - and 87% positive with viewers.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Atomic wrote:Just keep in mind it was based on a French graphic novel series. French. Very French. That alone may excuse some of the director's, ah... sins<h<h<h<h approaches to story telling.

Bruce Willis made the 5th element much better, as did the rest of the cast. I'll let you decide if the people in Valarian clicked for you.
Haven't picked up anything in a long time that qualifies as graphic novel.

Did subscribe to Heavy Metal when it first appeared in 1977. Cannot recall how I found out that it was starting up, I think may have been fact Vaughn Bode work was part of content. Certainly opened some eyes on the floor of the college skool dorm I was living in at the time, issues made the rounds. Had the subscription up to late '88, dropped it because lost interest in content. Only still have '86-'88 copies, rest were lost in a flood. Forgot them in back of a closet. So some exposure to French work, if early HM counts in your opinion. I still marvel at the work of Giraud/Moebius. Have idea to cosplay Major Grubert at some point, as retired of course. Could trim 'stache to suit, jodhpurs and pith helmets are available online. Just have to get the right shaped valise to carry.
AnotherFairportfan

Hansontoons wrote:
Atomic wrote:Just keep in mind it was based on a French graphic novel series. French. Very French. That alone may excuse some of the director's, ah... sins<h<h<h<h approaches to story telling.

Bruce Willis made the 5th element much better, as did the rest of the cast. I'll let you decide if the people in Valarian clicked for you.
Haven't picked up anything in a long time that qualifies as graphic novel.

Did subscribe to Heavy Metal when it first appeared in 1977. Cannot recall how I found out that it was starting up, I think may have been fact Vaughn Bode work was part of content.
Did you read the National Lampoon? Same publisher and promoted in house ads...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Having read my share of Heavy Metal, the magazine, the movie Heavy Metal was actually pretty good. Some of the ties to blend the various story lines together were a bit forced, and a few cliche scenes/dialog, but it mostly worked.

Highly recommend it for a popcorn evening viewing.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Atomic wrote:Having read my share of Heavy Metal, the magazine, the movie Heavy Metal was actually pretty good. Some of the ties to blend the various story lines together were a bit forced, and a few cliche scenes/dialog, but it mostly worked.

Highly recommend it for a popcorn evening viewing.
I disliked the "Corvette" sequence intensely, because it was ENTIRELY different from the original (rather brilliant) page by Dan O'Bannon
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Did you read the National Lampoon? Same publisher and promoted in house ads...
That was it! Good memory! I think I used to have a good memory, cannot remember...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Geez, it turns out you guys really are my people... (looks askance...) :?
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

TazManiac wrote:Geez, it turns out you guys really are my people... (looks askance...) :?

One of us!... ONE of US!!... ONE OF US!!!...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
AnotherFairportfan

scantrontb wrote:
TazManiac wrote:Geez, it turns out you guys really are my people... (looks askance...) :?
One of us!... ONE of US!!... ONE OF US!!!...
You forgot the "Gooble Gabble"

Or the "Gabba Gabba Hey"...
Dave

Post by Dave »

A thought that's somewhere on the far side of "deeply disturbing", no? :o
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
A thought that's somewhere on the far side of "deeply disturbing", no? :o
*pokes head around doorframe*

You rang?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

DinkyInky wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Dare I even ask what this movie is actually called?
"Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets"

Destined to be this decade's "Fifth Element".
Hard Pass then, as I disliked Fifth Element.

You will Watch 'the Fifth Element'.

You Will LIKE watching 'the Fifth Element'...

AnotherFairportfan

That scene left McDowell with scratched corneas.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

TazManiac wrote:
You will Watch 'the Fifth Element'.

You Will LIKE watching 'the Fifth Element'...
NOOO!!! NOT Ludwig Van!!!
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Aaaaand then

1) there is Marvel Studios' Guardians of the Galaxy franchise. < apropos to this conversation in terms of eyeball filling spectacle.

2) (To which, esp during the initial entry), i griped; "They ain't do'n it right. 'Guardians w/out Adam Warlock ain't right...".

3) Anybody who's seen the end-credits of vol 2 knows to expect a certain Golden hued entity to enter the fray in vol 3...
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

TazManiac wrote:Aaaaand then

1) there is Marvel Studios' Guardians of the Galaxy franchise. < apropos to this conversation in terms of eyeball filling spectacle.

2) (To which, esp during the initial entry), i griped; "They ain't do'n it right. 'Guardians w/out Adam Warlock ain't right...".

3) Anybody who's seen the end-credits of vol 2 knows to expect a certain Golden hued entity to enter the fray in vol 3...
I think that this is one of the cases where not knowing much about the relevant continuity can be a plus. I never got into reading comics, so most of what I know about the Marvel titles is from the movies. So I don't really have any preconceived ideas of what should happen that then let me down, but I can be all surprised by things that the comic nerds know will be happening.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

What I find interesting about people complaining about how movies based on comic books don't perfectly follow the comics is that doing so would actually be impossible (if the particular comic has been around long enough), as the stories of the comics keep getting rewritten every so often, for various reasons.

To me, a movie about a comic book character is no different than another retelling of the same story. Also, if you make a movie that is a panel-for-shot adaptation of the comic, you'd wind up with a movie that is much longer than most people will want to sit through, or you have to cut it into parts like they do with the comic books. The problem there is that it won't have the right flow for a movie: One film is just the opening act, where everyone is introduced, and we learn how they interact. Then we have to wait for a year or more to even know part of what the hell is going on, but you'd be lost if you didn't JUST see the first film. Then, if the story isn't wrapped up then, you'd have to watch yet another hour and a half to two hour (or longer) film.

Just sit down, pass the Reese's Pieces, and enjoy the show.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

IF YOU THINK I'M GONNA WATCH A 48-HOUR MOVIE ADAPTATION OF HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS then you're absolutely right, get comfortable, get some food and drinks, and stock up on 5-hour-energy shots and caffeine pills because we're in for the long haul.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Yes, but- The source material, that which any given Comic Book that later was turned into a Film Adaptation, has itself a beginning.

A core around which later rewrites and re-imaginings built upon.

My prickly point is that they should favor the basic, original, genesis of a story-line, then if they want to branch out to later versions; well OK then.

(Saving my example of an adaptation of an Ancient Myth, like 'Hercules' for example, in reserve, for now...)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... es-1074689

Oh, btw- seems the film, having done so bad in terms of Box Office results, is the cause for layoffs...