Not Your Concern 2017-06-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Not Your Concern 2017-06-19

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Seems to me she said she's got at least some animal heritage.
Seems to me that you may be right. I'd not be surprised if there was some Fae genetic material somewhere in her mix.
Cool - thanks for finding that reference.

So... yeah, her process of maturing into adulthood is likely to be just a trifle more complicated than is true for most.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Seems to me she said she's got at least some animal heritage.
Seems to me that you may be right. I'd not be surprised if there was some Fae genetic material somewhere in her mix.
Cool - thanks for finding that reference.

So... yeah, her process of maturing into adulthood is likely to be just a trifle more complicated than is true for most.
That's the only place where I recall her specifically mentioning animal parents to her hybrid self. Most of the time (such as when she was introducing herself to Jin at the beach, or shortly thereafter when discussing marshmallows with Tina) she just says that she's "part plant", which leaves the nature of her other part(s) in question. The closest we get to anything specific about her parents is when Cricket tells Atsali that they were a blend of thorn plants, which suggests that there may be more than one species of plant involved as well.

So at the very least, she's part blackthorn and part undisclosed critter, and likely at least another part some other prickly plant. Given the radical difference in biochemistries, the differences in life cycles, the different approaches to growing, maturing, and reproduction, and all of the unpredictability inherent in any hybrid, pretty much anything about Castela's development is at best an educated guess. She could have a lifespan of twenty-five years, or twenty-five centuries. She could be self-pollinating, or go the more traditional animal route, or both. She could reach sexual maturity at the age of fifteen, or fifty, or five thousand, or never. And she might be stuck in puberty for the next thousand years.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Bilbo54 wrote:
We know she's a hybrid of Blackthorn and other wise sentient plants, but I don't think we've ever heard whether she has any human (or mammal, or animal) DNA in her mix at all
maybe she's looking for anthers in all the wrong place
That has to be one of the most apposite and erudite puns I have come across in a long time, I refuse to stem any feelings of awe but it just leafs me humbled at the fruits of such wit.
I heard that a biologist managed to do some gene-splicing to cross a legume with a wildflower - and somehow, he isn't sure how, a bit of primate DNA got into the mix.

So now he has a Rhesus peanut buttercup.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Warrl wrote:
Bilbo54 wrote:
We know she's a hybrid of Blackthorn and other wise sentient plants, but I don't think we've ever heard whether she has any human (or mammal, or animal) DNA in her mix at all
maybe she's looking for anthers in all the wrong place
That has to be one of the most apposite and erudite puns I have come across in a long time, I refuse to stem any feelings of awe but it just leafs me humbled at the fruits of such wit.
I heard that a biologist managed to do some gene-splicing to cross a legume with a wildflower - and somehow, he isn't sure how, a bit of primate DNA got into the mix.

Dead man walking.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Warrl wrote: I heard that a biologist managed to do some gene-splicing to cross a legume with a wildflower - and somehow, he isn't sure how, a bit of primate DNA got into the mix.

Dead man walking.
ok now thats near sacrilegious, them peanut butter cups are considered holy icons at this house.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Two Items:

- Its tricky, but try Roasting Reese's Peanut-butter Cups.

- Planters also makes some peanut-butter cups. i found some i a Great America's Employee Area Vending Machine... Pretty good.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

(looks at TazManiac closely)

Where'd you work?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Oh where did I hear that before?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:Oh where did I hear that before?
Now, now, we don't want some sort of monkey battle getting started over who was first. No ape wars, please.

We prefer rhesus peaces.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

The pun jar seems to be on vacation -- that or it's a bit worn out from trying to chase all of us at the same time!

Tosses in a recipe card for peanut butter fudge...

... and steps away slowly...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I'll contribute a used bicycle that was made with parts from other bicycles.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote:I'll contribute a used bicycle that was made with parts from other bicycles.
Did some local fiend build it with his own three hands?

/drops a copy of A Fine and Pleasant Misery into the pun jar/

--FreeFlier
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

jwhouk wrote:(looks at TazManiac closely)

Where'd you work?
Actually, it wasn't my workplace, so I'm going to answer your intent rather than the literal question:

Santa Clara California installed a theme park, way back when... (God, it seems like AGES ago)-
Ah!, it _was_ ages ago, 1976 to be precise:

Marriott's Great America was it's original name btw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Californi ... at_America <--- Check out it' many corporate owners over the years;
it was great fun to see the costume characters & mascots change, depending on the folks who owned the icons and licenses...
(I spent a little while searching for a comprehensive list of all of the differing sets of corporate characters, but ran out of gumption...)

Wikipedia's entry has a great deal of other info, esp the list of rides and their level of 'difficulty'...

Oh, noes, they got rid of the Sky Whirl!

Welp, the more things stay the same, the more they change.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Oh, California Marriott's.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin