A late-night Tea

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

A late-night Tea

Post by DinkyInky »

Something that came to mind Memorial day weekend, and wouldn't leave. Set to this. Thanks to Al for helping me with Warhorse' dialogue and pacing.

Most of all, thank you all who have served.

Let it go,
Let it roll right off your shoulder
Don't you know
The hardest part is over

Sterling shot out of bed with a start, breathing heavily, sweat pouring down in rivulets. Sobbing, she just let the emotions wash over her in waves, then took several deep, cleansing breaths.

Let it in,
Let your clarity define you
In the end
We will only just remember how it feels

Looking at the clock on the mantel, she decided to chance a call.

Our lives are made
In these small hours
These little wonders,
These twists & turns of fate
Time falls away,
But these small hours,
These small hours still remain

"Yes, I will leave a message. This was the only information my sisters had for you, or I would have. Could you let the Master know that I would like a couple of days to spend training when convenient? Okay, thank you."

Let it slide,
Let your troubles fall behind you
Let it shine
Until you feel it all around you

Trying again, she dialed another number, and got the voicemail.

"Hey cuz. Sorry about the time, I just realised. I...I just...wanted to chat. I will call later to give you time to escape."

And I don't mind
If it's me you need to turn to
We'll get by,
It's the heart that really matters in the end

A note sent to the "unknown" for her sisters and their instructor...
One more call. Not Aurum, he was studying for a test, so her Aunt and Uncle would have taken all distractions away, not that he would allow himself any, so Auntie and Uncle were also right out...

Our lives are made
In these small hours
These little wonders,
Time falls away,
But these small hours,
These small hours still remain

"Hey Warhorse. If you have a few, I would love it if you could please bell me up. Much love to the family."

All of my regret
Will wash away some how
But I can not forget
The way I feel right now

"It's Sterling. She'd never call this early normally. Something must be wrong. Would you mind dear?"

Daisy grabbed their robes and handed him one while donning hers. She then moved toward the kitchen.

"Let me get a kettle going."

Al dialed her number, while on the other end she realised what time it was in Maple Plain...

"Sterling meduck. What can I do for you?"

"Oh no. I'm so sorry I woke you two. It can..."

"If you say it can wait, I'll port you here so fast your head will spin. Talk."

“This is kind of complicated. At the dinner way back when you told me if I needed to talk to someone about my…issues, that I should feel free to ask. I’m asking.”

“Daisy has just put the kettle on. You know where we are. Come ahead, and be welcome. This, luv, is why I made that offer – so when the time came, you WOULD ask. Come ahead, now.”

“Al, you can’t…it’s still the middle of the night there..”

“Sterling. If you want to end up in my bedroom ported in in your nightdress and knickers then continue to talk like that. If you do NOT, then throw on your best chav tracksuit or a pair of trousers or what have you and come ahead. Love, we care. Time means nothing.”

In these small hours
These little wonders
Time falls away but these small hours
These small hours, they still remain,

Sterling spoke, not making eye contact with the man across the desk. "It has been a few years since the last "nightmare", but I cannot stop seeing their faces. It...it is taking a toll now, coming in waves. Not quite sure why it chose now to remind me."

Al spoke, sitting in the bright cone of illumination from his desk lamp. “It chose now because you are at the point where you can deal with it – and you need to.

PTSD and all of its legion little points of anguish are the most despicable things that are the legacy of the combat veteran. You served, and the horrors of the time are coming to visit. I served….and it took me years to be at peace with myself. Greg, too, suffered what we do.

The clock has stopped – we have all the time in the world to talk about this. A minute, an hour…a day – as long as you wish.”

Al stood, and walked to the tea set on the credenza in his office. With economy of motion he poured both of them cups of tea, adulterating them as desired. He then set one in front of Sterling, sitting in the honoured-guest position in his office.

“So, talk.”

“What should I say?”

"Don’t think. Say what your heart cries out. Say what is in your mind when you wake crying. Or tell me of old times. We have all the time in the world.”

These little wonders
Time falls away
But these small hours...

In the light of dawn, two figures sat on the divan. The old, battered and grey man held the hand of the young silver-haired woman, who rested her head on his shoulder. The scene was coloured with the obvious exhaustion of the young woman, and the steadfast determination of the old man to help.

Daisy noiselessly opened the door and glanced in, then hurriedly withdrew at a slight gesture from Al. Poor woman. That's a case of emotional collapse if I've ever seen one.

"So what do I do now?"

"Now, you relax. You are among friends, and nothing here will harm you. If you feel the need to sleep Daisy and I can sit with you. You're not alone, and as long as we're alive you never will be."

"No, I mean where do I go from here? Does this eat me up, or do I live with it, or ....what do I do?"

"Luv, you live. Day by day, week by week, year by year. As you do, you depend on others to help when you need them, and enjoy their company and support even when you don't. Time will help this fade. You won't forget, though - you never do - but that is the price of honour you pay to those left behind."

"I don't know if I can do that. I'm kind of a self-rescuing princess, as ye know."

Al gripped her hand firmly, and she looked up. "Lass, you are being daft. Everyone depends on someone if they've any humanity at all."

"But-"

""Nay. No BUT. Let me ask you a question."

"Sure."

"Am I a warrior?"

"Of course you are. What a silly question."

"I depend on people - heavily. You, Fergus, that miserable redneck, Daisy, my sons and daughter...the list goes on. Am I less then self-rescuing?"

"Well, no."

"Then if an old warrior like me depends on people, why are you different? You have people - your family, your uncle and his sons, your half-sisters, all of us here, Sergeant Greg and Anne...the list goes on and on.

As you taught me when I Emerged, it can't be done alone. Madness and death are the only stops on that train to Hades' realm. You have us - ALL of us - and make no mistake...none of us is here to see you fall."

"Accept things and live. Those who did not would want no less for you. Honour your dead, but bury them...and live. Carry them in your heart, but not as a burden - but joyfully as companions on your journey. Live.

Turn around."

Framed in the doorway, were two very familiar faces, yet different, with Flashburn just behind.

"Fire mage portals are...interesting."

"It is like getting a tinkered stove that is not quite right that goes...fwoosh!"

"Oi! Oi! It is nothing of the sort! I'm very careful!"

Laughing through the tears, she ran to them, allowing herself to be carried into a hug. After a minute, Al got up, and moved toward her, ruffling her hair affectionately as a thought came to mind, then was spoken.

"La vita è bella, non è vero?"

...These little wonders still remain.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Re: A late-night Tea

Post by Dave »

Of all the blessed things that there are in the world,
I think that healers, and healing, are two of the best.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

"La vita è bella, non è vero?"

It is true...
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

TazManiac wrote:"La vita è bella, non è vero?"

It is true...
It is...no matter what intervenes.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I have had more than my share of these discussions- combat vets instinctively talk to me- I've no idea why.

I never turn them away. Closest I've ever been to combat was a brawl at the Quantico NCO club, yet the guys with chest confetti trust me. Odd- I do what I can.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Sgt. Howard wrote:I have had more than my share of these discussions- combat vets instinctively talk to me- I've no idea why.

I never turn them away. Closest I've ever been to combat was a brawl at the Quantico NCO club, yet the guys with chest confetti trust me. Odd- I do what I can.
You're an outside insider who will listen . . . that's what some folks need.

--FreeFlier
Hanineal

Post by Hanineal »

Sgt. Howard wrote:I have had more than my share of these discussions- combat vets instinctively talk to me- I've no idea why.

They recognize a need and know a healer when they see one.
What happens in the lab needs to stay in the lab... because it's such a bloody drag to have to rebuild civilization all over again.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Hanineal wrote:

They recognize a need and know a healer when they see one.
Downside- I wind up knowing a whole lotta shit I ain't supposed to know...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Sgt. Howard wrote: Downside- I wind up knowing a whole lotta shit I ain't supposed to know...
And that is when you learn the second part of being a healer - learning to keep yer gob shut. Sometimes that is not at all easy.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Just Old Al wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:Downside- I wind up knowing a whole lotta shit I ain't supposed to know...
And that is when you learn the second part of being a healer - learning to keep yer gob shut. Sometimes that is not at all easy.
"We did not have this conversation . . . this room will self-destruct in thirty seconds."

--FreeFlier
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

FreeFlier wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:Downside- I wind up knowing a whole lotta shit I ain't supposed to know...
"We did not have this conversation . . . this room will self-destruct in thirty seconds."

--FreeFlier
Fixed it for you.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(I love my peoples...)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Bumping this post, to say thank you for all the veterans here, and the sacrifices you made for our freedoms.

Was offline reflecting on many things, including my own father and stepfathers service, as well as Uncles who served long ago, and how they are these days.

God bless you all, from one grateful Dinky.

--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

DinkyInky wrote:Bumping this post, to say thank you for all the veterans here, and the sacrifices you made for our freedoms.

Was offline reflecting on many things, including my own father and stepfathers service, as well as Uncles who served long ago, and how they are these days.

... aw shucks, folks... 'twern't nuthin'... ;)
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Bumping this post, to say thank you for all the veterans here, and the sacrifices you made for our freedoms.

Trust me Sarge, it's a really big something, and Veterans get far too little appreciation for it.

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Oh crap, I thought I posted about this... thanks to all veterans!
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

DinkyInky wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:

Trust me Sarge, it's a really big something, and Veterans get far too little appreciation for it.

My only regret was that I did not stay in for a full 20- it was a very good life with very good people. Much of what I am today was hand-crafted by the US Army- I like their work.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.