Trying to be helpful 2017-03-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Trying to be helpful 2017-03-21

Post by lake_wrangler »

Well, Digit certainly is quite articulate, once she knows the proper technique to make "human sounds"... And quite perspicacious, too...

Poor Cricket... can't catch a break...

And now we have some form of age bracket (teenager) for Digit.

Mini Dieztel looks cute, on Digit's shoulder...

Digit and Cricket sure have Monica pegged...

Speaking of Monica, where exactly is she, while these two are talking? As far as I can tell, they are still in Monica's house/apartment/place... Did Monica leave them alone to deal with this? Is she even still within earshot of them?
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: Trying to be helpful 2017-03-21

Post by AmriloJim »

On FB, Paul said Digi is 16.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Sounds like the princess might get a roommate.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

M is not gonna throw out little D's best freind.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

oldmanmickey wrote:M is not gonna throw out little D's best freind.
But Digit has it right that Monica barely keeps it together herself sometimes {And, BTW, where's Jet?}, and doesn't need to be taking care of a teen who's just learning to be human...
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I thi k Digit got all the awareness-of-others that an ordinary teen should have, plus what Atsali was supposed to get.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:I thi k Digit got all the awareness-of-others that an ordinary teen should have, plus what Atsali was supposed to get.
She's also got what every recently-transformed young person should have: a superhero for a companion.

Shoulderdog!

I'd sing it to the tune of the "Underdog" theme, but I'm really tired this evening and I can't seem to work out any decent cringe-inducing parody lyrics.

(To make matters even worse, an earworm stopped by with a deluxe order of "Let's Get Digit-al" and I haven't managed to find my bottle of brain bleach to get rid of it.)
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Maybe Monica could introduce Digit as her.....NEICE?!
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

Shoulder Dietzel is so adorable! All of Digit's friends will want one.
illiad

Post by illiad »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:M is not gonna throw out little D's best freind.
But Digit has it right that Monica barely keeps it together herself sometimes {And, BTW, where's Jet?}, and doesn't need to be taking care of a teen who's just learning to be human...
Hey, things do happen 'outside' the comic.... :D
Armorlord

Post by Armorlord »

I think this proves further that she was fully intelligent before this transformation as well, though perhaps she has additional faculties now. We'll have to see if the playful foolishness she and Dietzel used to get up to still comes through, or if she's "grown up" too much for that now.

I also notice that she's been hiding her other eyes rather well since she started speaking English. I wonder how well the coloration on those.. hair legs?.. blends in with her hair. I was worried before about her learning to pass among humans, but I think she my already have the skill to do so.
"Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience." -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
eee

Post by eee »

Poor Cricket. She's got serious guilt issues, even when things aren't her fault.

I wonder if this is going to result in Dietzel being turned human...?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote:And quite perspicacious, too...
Well, she's been a spider on the wall for quite a time now, watching what's going on.
lake_wrangler wrote:Speaking of Monica, where exactly is she, while these two are talking? As far as I can tell, they are still in Monica's house/apartment/place... Did Monica leave them alone to deal with this? Is she even still within earshot of them?
Out finding clothes that will fit Digit properly? At the local pet shop, buying up all the feed insects she can carry? Nefariously cackling and plotting how she's going to introduce Shelly and Amanda to the spider-person?
AmriloJim wrote:On FB, Paul said Digi is 16.
Which does raise some questions.

In general, jumping spiders live at most a year or two. Digit was introduced back in mid-2014, which means that we know she's been in the comic's timeline for at least four or five years (it's a bit hard to pin down lengths of time in comic time). And here we have her referring to herself as a teenager, and we have word that she's in her mid-teens.

So, is she sixteen human years old? Or the equivalent of sixteen given the lifespan of her species?

In either case, we know she's at least four human years old. Which is at least twice the lifespan for a normal jumping spider. If she were a normal jumping spider, she'd be something like the equivalent of 200 years old and perhaps have great-great-grandkids (imagine a whole herd of little Digit-babies hopping about).

Is her extended lifespan a matter of her particular spider species just naturally lives for a much longer time than other spiders? Or has living in the Library done something specifically to her? Because if she's still a spider teenager at the age of 4+ human years, then it's not just a matter of living longer: it's a matter of greatly slowing down the aging and maturing processes.

If the Library slows down aging, then is that part of why Phix and Nudge are as spry and youthful-appearing as they are? And are paranormals booking spa vacations to the Library to try to keep their looks?

Slowing down a visitor's aging would make extended research less of a problem for Library patrons, I suppose. If you really wanted to devote time to the study of some complicated subject but were put off by the idea of how much of your lifetime you'd spend doing so, the Library might help with that. And if you studied for your college courses there, you could graduate with a PhD and still be as young as when you graduated from high school!
Gyrrakavian wrote:Sounds like the princess might get a roommate.
Calista Foxglove and Digit? Will Digit take the last name Alis?
AnotherFairportfan wrote:I thi k Digit got all the awareness-of-others that an ordinary teen should have, plus what Atsali was supposed to get.
Perhaps young Digit bit young Atsali during one of the latter's trips to the Library?
Armorlord wrote:I also notice that she's been hiding her other eyes rather well since she started speaking English. I wonder how well the coloration on those.. hair legs?.. blends in with her hair. I was worried before about her learning to pass among humans, but I think she my already have the skill to do so.
I think that those might have been her pedipalps when she was in spidery form, the little wiggly arm things on either side of a spider's mouthparts. Some spiders hunt and survive through mimicry; perhaps Digit is subconsciously (or even consciously) trying to blend in by hiding her more nonhuman attributes?
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Either that, or Digit Alice Foxglove... be still, my restless heart.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AmriloJim wrote:Either that, or Digit Alice Foxglove... be still, my restless heart.
:shock:

Gives new meaning to the term "Kids with a drug problem". Parents should never give their children a name which makes them the target of ridicule and teasing by their peers.

You guys, on the other hand, need to pay the Pun Jar. The judges have rated your efforts "strict 9", so pay accordingly.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Um... when she dates, will she EAT her date after kissing? That could put a damper on her social life... remember, most spiders are happily cannibalistic...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AmriloJim wrote:Either that, or Digit Alice Foxglove... be still, my restless heart.
Okay, I may have lived a too-sheltered life. I don't get that reference.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:
Digitalis is the genus name for the foxglove family of plants.

It's also the popular name of a glycoside drug (digoxin) extracted from some species in this genus. Digitalis has been used for centuries to treat a variety of heart conditions - in particular, irregular/fast heart fibrillation.
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

jwhouk wrote:
Texas Heart Institute wrote:Digitalis medicines control irregular heart rhythms (called arrhythmias) by slowing the signals that start in the sinoatrial (SA) node. This, in turn, reduces the number of signals that travel through the atrioventricular (AV node). Fewer signals mean fewer arrhythmias.
Okay, Jar... will an EKG monitor be acceptable?
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

And wasn't Castela's surname Foxglove?

I know it came up as a name somewhere.

--FreeFlier