More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Catawampus

Re: More Stuff

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote:I totaled my car earlier.

I had to go get the two main lot porters from one of the neighboring dealerships, and as I went to cross the road on the return trip, we collided with a vehicle. I was the only one in my car wearing a seatbelt, but everyone involved is okay.

I had originally been told to take one of the used cars to go get them (though it is in walking distance), but I couldn't find the key for any that I could find.

The vehicle that hit mine hit a power pole, which knocked out power to several dealerships, a Sonic drive-in, and the movie theater.

I'm going to have to get checked, most likely, because my back hurts. Granted, it always hurts, but I still need to.
Well, if you're going to wreck your car, might as well go all-out and wreck the local power grid while you're at it.

Any declarations on who is judged to be at fault yet?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Considering that I was not on the main roadway, and the other vehicle was, it's my fault. Apparently, though, neither of us saw the other.

I had to take a drug test and get examined by a physician today. Even if I pass the drug test, and there's apparently a good chance I will, I can still lose my job. This is the fourth collision in three years in which I was at fault. Since I work at a dealership, the insurance company reports that stuff to my employer.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Possibly the best lede i have seen in a long time:
Erin Gloria Ryan/[i]The Daily Beast[/i] wrote:What finally brought me to the edge of emotional break was the carpeting.

There’s nothing particularly special about the carpeting in the Las Vegas Convention center. It’s bright red, crisscrossed with other primary colors, loud like most convention center carpets. Easy to clean. But at that moment, with nervous urgency and greed shimmering off the crowd around me, music and lights and gadgets and the smell of stadium food, reality buckled. I started to laugh, and suddenly all of my emotional faucets were on full blast, and then I started to cry. Then I was sobbing.

Maybe the Consumer Electronics Show was a bad place to take LSD for the first time.
{spoiler}
I Dropped Acid and Saw Into the Future: My Surreal First Time At CES

Maybe the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas was a bad place to take LSD for the first time.

{/spoiler}

{original story}
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Possibly the best lede i have seen in a long time:
I was the "keeper" of two friends of mine that tried acid out of curiosity. We were at a lake near College Station, TX, not somewhere like a convention with overloads of color and other sensory input. They had a nice time, the wind and waves were very entertaining though I did have to make them quit pushing on one of my car doors. They found it fascinating that they could push it in and then it would pop back out. Somehow they managed to not make a permanent dent. The vehicle was a 1980 Mazda 626, thin-skinned but fun to drive. Eventually I became bored and they were easily convinced we needed to head back and eat food.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I just had a pretty crazy dream. It's pretty rare for me to have a dream and actually feel any kind of fear, but this one may not qualify as a nightmare.

In the dream, I'm playing a demo of a really interesting horror video game, and most of it was first person. And because it was a dream, I didn't have the presence of mind to question the fact that, for the majority of the time I spent playing it, I was moving as if I was the character, i.e., I would do the jumping or whatever, instead of pressing buttons, although there were occasions that I recall pressing buttons on a controller.

The demo had something to do with exploring an abandoned house that belonged to a serial killer who targeted children, and the house was haunted. As I explored the house, I had the walkthrough for the demo on my phone. However, there was a lot of occasions when I felt something would attack me/my character if I didn't solve one of the puzzles quickly enough, or did something incorrectly.

I think one of the craziest parts was not even inside the house, where it was frequently really dark and had ambient music and such. I was outside, there was a heavily overcast sky, and this "train" was speeding toward me. It wasn't on any tracks, and it was as if it were formed from a part of the ground. The front of it was a face, the mouth was open. As it approached, it let out this loud and really crazy sounding moan, and the ground moved like the wake of a speeding boat, creating these huge waves.

When I completed the demo, there was even a part where the creator of the game (which was apparently an indie game) was asking for feedback, and that was when I woke, still feeling some of the fear I felt in the game, and covered with sweat. Although, I was also under both of my thick blankets.

Aside from the train, which looked cool but wasn't scary, I could definitely see that being a horror game, and I'd definitely like to play it. It had the feel of one of the scarier games in the Silent Hill series.
AnotherFairportfan

do ya.png
do ya.png (203.45 KiB) Viewed 9309 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Another new avatar graphic, currently in use elsewhere:
egg2.png
egg2.png (76.69 KiB) Viewed 9299 times
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Man Alkarii, that was a crazy dream, esp to be able to recall so much detail upon waking. (People have actually made video games with less scaffolding to start with...)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

It gets better: A little while after making that post, I went back to sleep and had another crazy dream.

This time, I decided to watch a horror film... And somehow, I was one of the characters. Kind of like in the later Star Trek series, when people would go to the holodeck. The plot kind of sucked, though. I remembered almost as much as the other dream, and I did feel a bit of fear. However, unlike a nightmare, I felt in control. Everything that happened, I could handle the situation. There was a close call for me, but not much else. Other folks had been in danger, but nobody died, I think. Kind of tame, for a horror film.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Funny, I was watching: For the Love of Spock last night...

btw- re: your recent dream-times.... just await the Sequel.) ;])
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I should probably go see a doctor. Just a couple hours ago, my neck started to really hurt, from the back of my head to right between my shoulder blades. Just about any movement in that area makes my head throb. I wasn't even really moving my neck much, either.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:I should probably go see a doctor. Just a couple hours ago, my neck started to really hurt, from the back of my head to right between my shoulder blades. Just about any movement in that area makes my head throb. I wasn't even really moving my neck much, either.
Sounds like you should... you may have something like a pinched and inflamed nerve. Ice and anti-inflammatories may be all you need, but it'd probably be prudent to get it checked out.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Considering you were in a wreck, yeah, definitely go have someone who knows what they're doing take a look at you.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

In one sitting, I played through the entirety of the Tomb Raider reboot. Then I realized: Holy crap... It's not too far off from Wapsi Square...
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote:In one sitting, I played through the entirety of the Tomb Raider reboot. Then I realized: Holy crap... It's not too far off from Wapsi Square...
AnotherFairportfan

Ever since i first saw it, the title in my head on that last one has been "The hands, Jones! Watch it with the hands!"
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I completely forgot about those! :lol:

Also, I got the newest David Weber book yesterday. At least, I assume it's the newest. Now, if I can just quit playing around and finish the book that came before it...
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote:I completely forgot about those! :lol:

Also, I got the newest David Weber book yesterday. At least, I assume it's the newest. Now, if I can just quit playing around and finish the book that came before it...
Heh.

That one's stirring up a lot of unhappiness among the fans.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Alkarii wrote:I completely forgot about those! :lol:

Safehold or Honorverse?

"The Hands Jones!..." :lol: :lol: :lol: Reminiscent of another film; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Days,_Seven_Nights, w Mr Ford in it...