Just Getting By 2012-11-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
TlalocW

Just Getting By 2012-11-26

Post by TlalocW »

What's that mean? "Getting buy?"

TlalocW
sonicthunder

Re: Just Getting Buy 2012-11-26

Post by sonicthunder »

Must have something to do with getting guys to buy her drinks.
Fnord

Post by Fnord »

Mr. Pablo, sir? Did you really mean "... just getting by", as in "... just doing what's necessary"? I mean, I shore ain't no Inglish majur (sic), but did you perhaps use a different word than you had originally intended?

Respectfully,
Fnord
the Metasyntactic Variable
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

sonicthunder wrote:Must have something to do with getting guys to buy her drinks.
Kind of odd though since the buy vs by pun would not really work when speaking, only in print.

So, the plan is coming to fruition:
Step 1) Pretend to be all friendly so Monica lets down her guard.
Step 2) Do a complete and nasty 180 to get her to go off kilter.
Step 3) Totally trash her and her life to build up steam.
Step 4) Goad her until she does something potentially lethal (to a mortal).

Basically a 4 step plan to show Monica how dangerous she can be without even trying. Now, Nudge comes back naked from her bath in a lava stream, still smouldering and healing, but with a smile of satisfaction on her face. But whose plan is this?
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
sonicthunder wrote:Must have something to do with getting guys to buy her drinks.
Kind of odd though since the buy vs by pun would not really work when speaking, only in print.

So, the plan is coming to fruition:

Basically a 4 step plan to show Monica how dangerous she can be without even trying. Now, Nudge comes back naked from her bath in a lava stream, still smouldering and healing, but with a smile of satisfaction on her face. But whos plan is this?
Jin's...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Is everyone else seeing the comic posted twice on the same page? For a moment I thought "Uh oh, Monica has a new power. She can rewind time."
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Can't says I've ever seen Pixie Tits that pissed before. Nudge really stuck in and broke it off in Monica's ass but good.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
stjen

Post by stjen »

shadowinthelight wrote:Is everyone else seeing the comic posted twice on the same page? For a moment I thought "Uh oh, Monica has a new power. She can rewind time."
Well, as of a few minutes ago I was seeing a double post of the strip, although the top copy had the "getting buy" version in it, while the bottom version had "getting by" in it. (It could be gone by now, if Pablo is fixing...)
Edit: Yes, it's fixed now, only one copy showing and it says Getting By. Oh, and the first poster should fix their subject line in the same way....
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Is it just me or is this the first time we have seen Monica use a face light since the calendar Machine was destroyed???? Does that mean that she now has her own personal symbol like each of the GG's??? I just wonder where Nudge was sent and if she as Bud watching her to get her back when Monica realizes that she has no idea where she just sent Nudge.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Yamara

Re: Just Getting By 2012-11-26

Post by Yamara »

Glad you're feeling better, Paul.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me: I have to buy a pincushion.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:So, the plan is coming to fruition:

Basically a 4 step plan to show Monica how dangerous she can be without even trying. Now, Nudge comes back naked from her bath in a lava stream, still smouldering and healing, but with a smile of satisfaction on her face. But whose plan is this?
I'm pretty sure it's Nudge's own plan; perhaps she's doing this to show Monica that she can defend herself from Phix. Not likely that she'd ever NEED to defend herself from Phix, but knowing that she CAN should put Mon at ease enough to be friends with her again.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Mark N wrote:Is it just me or is this the first time we have seen Monica use a face light since the calendar Machine was destroyed???? Does that mean that she now has her own personal symbol like each of the GG's??? I just wonder where Nudge was sent and if she as Bud watching her to get her back when Monica realizes that she has no idea where she just sent Nudge.
At times of stress or anger the glyph shows up on her face. It has happened before. I just wonder where Nudge ended up. That poit looked at lot more powerful than others. Usually it's a simple poit. This time it was accominied by a mega energy surge.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

EEEP! :shock:

Now, I guess we get to see whether Nudge's status as a demigod means that she's immortal and invulnerable. Or, not.

I suspect that getting this sort of rise out of Monica was what Nudge was angling for... but holy Kdapt, that was a risky thing to do, and I hope Nudge is up to handling whatever Monica just poited her into. Lake Calhoun? The nearest active volcano? Deep space? An effluent-settling pond?

Although Monica has shown face-light before, it was always explained as her channeling Mayahuel's power. This is the first time she's shown her own power-pattern, no? ... and strong enough to completely eclipse her normal face, to boot!

Don't make her angry. You wouldn't like her when she's angry, if by some chance you manage to survive it
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

To quote Girl Genius..Don't bother her when she's inthe crazy place!

The darkening of her hair and skin is an intereting side effect of her anger. Then the glyph lighting up makes M look like very, very dangerous. Now Jin poits things to places they cannot come back from. Did Monica just do that to Nudge?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

MerchManDan wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's Nudge's own plan; perhaps she's doing this to show Monica that she can defend herself from Phix. Not likely that she'd ever NEED to defend herself from Phix, but knowing that she CAN should put Mon at ease enough to be friends with her again.
I am sure that this is all Nudge's plan but I do not think it was to get Monica to realize that she can defend herself against Phix, but to let her know that she is more like Phix than she realizes, that she can also be a monster if she is not careful
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Mark N wrote:Is it just me or is this the first time we have seen Monica use a face light since the calendar Machine was destroyed???? Does that mean that she now has her own personal symbol like each of the GGs?
Her eye lights switched on in the presence of Tina's effigy, but I don't think her face glyph has switched on since the ritual, no.

Her glyph has been seen two other times, once arguing with Doubt, explained by Jin as Maya signaling from the Demon World.

And again while M was contemplating her friends' betrayal at the upcoming ritual.

I'm thinking there's a very VERY large part of Monica that was screwed over for being naive a long long time ago. So Nudge is pushing an immensely big red button indeed. Either Nudge is a self-destructive obsessive, or poking M must be pretty important.

Nudge probably goaded Phix and took that leap into Limbo just to work up the nerve.

Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Dave wrote:EEEP! :shock:

Now, I guess we get to see whether Nudge's status as a demigod means that she's immortal and invulnerable. Or, not.
Nudge isn't exactly invulnerable; she can feel pain, as Tina, Phix, and herself know quite well.

And, immortality?

I hear you should always ask for the extended warranty.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Mark N wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:I'm pretty sure it's Nudge's own plan; perhaps she's doing this to show Monica that she can defend herself from Phix. Not likely that she'd ever NEED to defend herself from Phix, but knowing that she CAN should put Mon at ease enough to be friends with her again.
I am sure that this is all Nudge's plan but I do not think it was to get Monica to realize that she can defend herself against Phix, but to let her know that she is more like Phix than she realizes, that she can also be a monster if she is not careful
I think it may be both of those things, and more besides... and it can be summed up fairly simply.

Nudge is trying to get Monica to acknowledge and accept who and what she truly is.

As Bud and Shelly have seen and said, Monica has been very heavily in denial about herself, and her true place in the paranormal world. She hasn't been willing to accept and admit to her own power(s)... this caused her to retreat from Phix in fear (unnecessarily, it turns out) and it could also make her a danger to other people (if she doesn't know her own strength). In other fiction I've read (Donaldson possibly?) there has been a theme that if you ignore or deny your own power, you can make it possible for another person to control it (and you!)... possibly Monica is leaving herself open to that sort of danger?

Nudge's insulting put-downs seem intended to goad Monica into coming out of her shell in outrage... "tricking" Monica into acting as the powerful and dangerous paranormal being that she now is, and having to admit this truth about herself to herself.

In a way, it's a bit like the big crisis-confrontation between Shelly and Justin some months ago... it's full of "confront the truth" and "What am I?" moments. It's all about Identity.

(and about flying buttons. M really must be pissed!)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote: I think it may be both of those things, and more besides... and it can be summed up fairly simply.

Nudge is trying to get Monica to acknowledge and accept who and what she truly is.

As Bud and Shelly have seen and said, Monica has been very heavily in denial about herself, and her true place in the paranormal world. She hasn't been willing to accept and admit to her own power(s)... this caused her to retreat from Phix in fear (unnecessarily, it turns out) and it could also make her a danger to other people (if she doesn't know her own strength). In other fiction I've read (Donaldson possibly?) there has been a theme that if you ignore or deny your own power, you can make it possible for another person to control it (and you!)... possibly Monica is leaving herself open to that sort of danger?

Nudge's insulting put-downs seem intended to goad Monica into coming out of her shell in outrage... "tricking" Monica into acting as the powerful and dangerous paranormal being that she now is, and having to admit this truth about herself to herself.

In a way, it's a bit like the big crisis-confrontation between Shelly and Justin some months ago... it's full of "confront the truth" and "What am I?" moments. It's all about Identity.

(and about flying buttons. M really must be pissed!)
I agree with you and add another point. Monica may be thinking "How dare you make me understand that I am a supernatural" much as Shelly and Justin had to go through to full accept their lives and futures.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Hope you're feeling better, Paul.
Great comic today!
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville