Good genre

Let your stereophile run loose! Talk gear, media, and other electronics that makes music for your ears.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

waldosan

Good genre

Post by waldosan »

so i don't know if this forum limb is strictly for what you listen to music on, in which case i'm going to ruin every chance of ever being in that club by saying that i listen to my music on a computer with 12 dollar speakers that plug into my usb port and the headphone jack. it's not pretty by many people's standards including my former and hopefully soon to be again boss, but at this point working part time and trying to pull together a move back to the other side of the country and hopefully meeting the love of my life all over again; trying to find something decent to listen to music on has taken a back seat.

i've been listening to a certain genre recently that's given a swing to my step and fortunately it's quality can't be influenced by the addition of tuned thousand dollar speakers with an tube amplifier of some kind.

electronic swing!

this is a movement that as far as i can tell that is becoming popular and it started in France of all places, and for the most part started back near around 2005 2006 ish. for the longest time my only knowledge of this genre or movement of music was through parov stelar, he's some guy over in Europe doing his electronic swing thing with amazingly good quality tracks such as; "booty swing, monster (album image nsfw), catgroove, chambermaid swing," and many more. i learned of a new group very recently though, if i understand right they are domestic to the united states; "caravan palace" takes the idea, brings it down a dark alley, then promptly mugs it for all it's worth. somehow it turned out really good in all that mess so if you listened to parov and want more then caravan palace is your group.

however i haven't been able to find more groups and individuals that are based around the techno swing genre, i've found some fantastic singles like "DJ shadows organ donor" which is a fantastically written techno piece with a b****in church organ playing in the foreground. granted it might not strictly be considered swing at this point, but i think that for how awesome and fantastic classical, jazz, and swing is by theirselves, they are not detracted in any manner by the addition of a few techno beats, beeps and the odd guitar squawks.

one thing yielded by putting these artists as seeds into pandora radio is the Yoshida brothers out of japan, they've brought their three stringed oriental instrument into this century without dishonoring it in the slightest by putting it in the back ground: it's in the foreground of the music where it belongs. unfortunately though trying to put all these people into pandora radio brings up a lot of dubstep. as everybody knows dubstep is the death of music so be ye warned; 3 hours wasted looking on youtube might be worth it when the alternative is listening to freaking dubstep.
Atomic

Re: Good genre

Post by Atomic »

Sounds interesting! I'm fond of musicians who aren't afraid to cross style boundaries and can make something lovely with it. For example, Arab-Celtic anyone? Loreeena McKennitt and her "An Ancient Muse" album track, "The Gates of Istanbul." As for techno, I recently saw a BBC story about an artist who took the techno classic "Pacific State" by 808 State" (see YouTube here) to a Jamacian Steel Drum arranger for translation. Excellent stuff!

And, as for swing in general, you'd be hard pressed to find people having much more fun than this clip of a Japanese school band (as part of a movie) doing Benny Goodman's classic "Swing Swing Swing."

For what it's worth, a good set of headphones will bring out the most of what a decent computer audio card can deliver. For that matter, a moderately priced speaker set with sub-woofer can do wonders for web music listening as well.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Atomic wrote:Sounds interesting! I'm fond of musicians who aren't afraid to cross style boundaries and can make something lovely with it. For example, Arab-Celtic anyone? Loreeena McKennitt and her "An Ancient Muse" album track, "The Gates of Istanbul." As for techno, I recently saw a BBC story about an artist who took the techno classic "Pacific State" by 808 State" (see YouTube here) to a Jamacian Steel Drum arranger for translation. Excellent stuff!

And, as for swing in general, you'd be hard pressed to find people having much more fun than this clip of a Japanese school band (as part of a movie) doing Benny Goodman's classic "Swing Swing Swing."

For what it's worth, a good set of headphones will bring out the most of what a decent computer audio card can deliver. For that matter, a moderately priced speaker set with sub-woofer can do wonders for web music listening as well.
Just had time to view the 'Swing Girls' clip: Nice. ;)
waldosan

Post by waldosan »

"it don't mean a thing if you aint got that swing!" "swing swing swing swing, all you gotta do is swing!"
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

waldosan wrote:"it don't mean a thing if you aint got that swing!" "swing swing swing swing, all you gotta do is swing!"
COunt Basie said: "Swing is a feeling - everything else is just style."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Vitrvarg

Post by Vitrvarg »

Fond of Death Metal, Viking Metal, Viking Power Metal, Nordic. What I listen to does not translate well into English.

Who I listen to are as follows:

Amon Amarth
Tyr
Hel
Saga
Rebellion
SIG:AR:TYR
Fortid
Ultima Thule
Manegarm
Falconer
Wintersun
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Vitrvarg wrote:Fond of Death Metal, Viking Metal, Viking Power Metal, Nordic. What I listen to does not translate well into English.

Who I listen to are as follows:

Amon Amarth
awesome band... I'm going to see them and Sabaton in concert this coming Tuesday night here in Seattle... it aughta' be a great show...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Fairportfan wrote:
waldosan wrote:"it don't mean a thing if you aint got that swing!" "swing swing swing swing, all you gotta do is swing!"
Count Basie said: "Swing is a feeling - everything else is just style."
As I once heard:
  • Classical is a salute,
    Waltz is a handshake,
    Jazz is a hug,
    and the Blues is a big, sloppy kiss.

My Deviant Art scribbles
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution.
Somewhere between "food group" and "essential nutrient" ;)
Aed

Post by Aed »

Care for some early electronic music?

Sonic Re-entry by The Electrosoniks

Not only is it classic early electronic music, it was the opening theme to Fantastic Theater, a late night sci-fi & horror program produced in Tulsa, Oklahoma in the middle to late nineteen sixties. Just as the sound of a metronome could get Pavlov's dogs to salivate, hearing that music sends a shiver down this old spine just as it once did my younger self. Enjoy!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Aed wrote:Care for some early electronic music?

Sonic Re-entry by The Electrosoniks

Not only is it classic early electronic music, it was the opening theme to Fantastic Theater, a late night sci-fi & horror program produced in Tulsa, Oklahoma in the middle to late nineteen sixties. Just as the sound of a metronome could get Pavlov's dogs to salivate, hearing that music sends a shiver down this old spine just as it once did my younger self. Enjoy!
Nice!

Another great piece of early electronic music is the Theremin-filled theme music for Alcoa's One Step Beyond anthology show about the supernatural and paranormal... the show dates to 1960 and the theme song was originally composed in 1955. You might recognize it from its later use in the season-2 closing credits of the original "Outer Limits". It's one which still pushes my Pavlovian chill-buttons (which Russell's "Sinister Barrier" tells us is the result of a Viton slurping life-energy out of one of its human cattle... namely thee and me).
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Fun stuff!

And, of that era, one of the first "Big Hits": Telstar by the Tornadoes!

A much cleaner version by the Ventures here.

Yes, those Ventures!

My Deviant Art scribbles
Aed

Post by Aed »

Dave wrote: Nice!

Another great piece of early electronic music is the Theremin-filled theme music for Alcoa's One Step Beyond anthology show about the supernatural and paranormal... the show dates to 1960 and the theme song was originally composed in 1955. You might recognize it from its later use in the season-2 closing credits of the original "Outer Limits". It's one which still pushes my Pavlovian chill-buttons (which Russell's "Sinister Barrier" tells us is the result of a Viton slurping life-energy out of one of its human cattle... namely thee and me).
Thank you for the link. I have spent a bit of time on IMDb and YouTube enjoying some of those old programs. Until you mentioned the anthology, my idea of One Step Beyond was a musical track by Madness. ;)