Quick Fix-It's For Bra Emergencies

A little corner to talk bra sizing, good places to shop, helpful blog links, all things body positive.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Re: Quick Fix-It's For Bra Emergencies

Post by TazManiac »

(Tony Stark's protégé...)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

DinkyInky wrote:Why has nobody discussed using heavy plastic corset boning to replace the wires before wearing them? Tape the ends so they slide through, then remove and stitch closed.
Likely because some of us have a bit less experience with bra wiring and corset boning than others, and so have less idea of whether or not it would make any sort of good alternative. I would have expected it to be a problem to replace the wires with due to it having too different of a cross-section and thus not fitting into the space that the wires had been in.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Catawampus wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Why has nobody discussed using heavy plastic corset boning to replace the wires before wearing them? Tape the ends so they slide through, then remove and stitch closed.
Likely because some of us have a bit less experience with bra wiring and corset boning than others, and so have less idea of whether or not it would make any sort of good alternative. I would have expected it to be a problem to replace the wires with due to it having too different of a cross-section and thus not fitting into the space that the wires had been in.
Mine is a bit wider, and a mesh. You cut it longer than needed, roll it, then tape the end with electricians friend, then slide it in place, pushing out the old wire(unless it's rusted, then you seam rip it open, remove all the rusted metal, wash it, press it, then fit it for the new boning, baste stitching it to hold it in place, then insert new boning, and machine stitch it closed), and stitch the end closed behind it.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

I, for one, am not handy enough with a needle and thread to deconstruct something as architecturally constructed as a bra (I have been known to have trouble hemming pants straight), so replacing metal underwires with plastic isn't exactly an option for me. Additionally, I have a high level of disdain for plastic boning in corsets (aka the most uncomfortable alteration to corset designs ever), so I'd be reluctant to trust them with my breasts.
Atomic wrote:Speaking as not-a-bra-user, what issues do underwires solve? I'd imagine it's something to do with shaping rather than (up)lift, but I remember seeing various ads for the Quadra-Boob and Side-Spill problems with poorly fitted bras. I realize that breasts will never hover just under the collarbone forever, but is width vs depth really that much of a problem in the real world?
It's not just about uplift. It's about support. Most women will tell you underwire bras are godawfully uncomfortable, but most of them wouldn't trust their girls not to slide out of or stay put in a bra without underwire. The only folks I know who can get away without them are smaller breasted. I mean, I could wear a bra without underwires, but I'd have the worst underboob sweat ever by the end of the day, and I'm not entirely convinced the left one wouldn't try escaping out the bottom while the right one made a break for it out the top. There's just so much more confinement-by-design in a bra with underwire than I've ever seen achieved in their cloth-only brethren.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(still magical-mystery devices to us who do deal with them from the inside-out...) & I'm very good at Engineering and Architecture.

edit- Hmmm, upon reflection, I very likely meant 'outside-in'...
Last edited by TazManiac on Wed May 24, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

So would women want an undergarment that supported more like a bodice does than with underwire? Because I am rather familiar with bodices, and the design would likely translate quite well.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:I, for one, am not handy enough with a needle and thread to deconstruct something as architecturally constructed as a bra (I have been known to have trouble hemming pants straight), so replacing metal underwires with plastic isn't exactly an option for me. Additionally, I have a high level of disdain for plastic boning in corsets (aka the most uncomfortable alteration to corset designs ever), so I'd be reluctant to trust them with my breasts.
I can't have underwire. My base metal allergies rust them out in short order, and when you custom order a three figure Angel bra to fit you, changing the metal fittings means you get to keep it longer than three months. Corset "boning" rolled up as I discussed is more comfortable than wire, while being super supportive. The one I'm talking about is a mesh, and I rolled it up to make a 'wire' and taped the ends to slide it through until I was ready to seal them in.

Yes Shneekey, I want 32 Bodices with plastic boning. Make them ultra cute and colourful too. Oh, and they must be cool and comfortable.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I started out responding w/ specifying a thin fleecy inner layer, one that would breath and be very lightweight...

They I phased into how to bond two or three different materials together, max, and still keep it light and flexible...

And I ended up thinking the individual recipient might tape themselves into a desired 'placement' and a mold be taken, a press be fabricated to match the torso and supportable bits, and the end result would produce an item with the correct shape to fit the individual, comfortably, flexibly, & good for both Hot and Cold Climes...

And affordable.

Seeing as how the old saying about one's reach exceeding one's grasp... Well, Supporting those who I wish to grasp means I'm going to be incentive-ized to apply my skills towards a suitable solution.

I seemed to have wandered afield from 'Bra Emergencies' into 'Designing the Ultimate Support System', perhaps it needs it's own thread..