More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

Re: More Stuff

Post by Sgt. Howard »

chicgeek wrote:Now, how long before Al works one of those rail trucks into a story?
I'm actually the fellow with RR experience here... especially in regards to laying track...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Oh yeah? Then I'll rephrase that-Now, how long before Sarge works one of these rail trucks into a story? ^_^
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

BTW, on second look of the photos, those tie-wraps are actually securing the wiring to the bumpers.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
wings.jpg
I'm actually quite happy with how this came out - there was a fair amount of muttering-in-the-beard involved at some stages.

And i just barely caught that some of the background needed to show in the edge of her left lens.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

chicgeek wrote:Oh yeah? Then I'll rephrase that-Now, how long before Sarge works one of these rail trucks into a story? ^_^
Hmm... they don't blow up.... they don't fly... they don't do much of anything exiting... unless you use one as a getaway vehicle and put it on tracks, then meet an oncoming.... hmmm... lemme get back with you on that...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Hmm... they don't blow up.... they don't fly... they don't do much of anything exiting...
Unless and until Glytch gets it into his head to give the power plant a bit of an upgrade, and then go drag racing with them on a stretch of unused track :twisted:

You have to let him indulge in hero worship occasionally, right?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:Hmm... they don't blow up.... they don't fly... they don't do much of anything exiting...
Unless and until Glytch gets it into his head to give the power plant a bit of an upgrade, and then go drag racing with them on a stretch of unused track :twisted:

I was thinking more along the lines of New Mexico Tech's Rocket Sled-level speeds...

Take a track... No... Two tracks parallel to one another... Then take a couple big old Diesel engine cars and gut them and replace them with the absolute pinnacle of internal combustion technology, utilizing not mere hydrocarbons or ethanol, no. No, these engines would be using something with a little more oomph. High nitrogen compounds... Coupled with oxidizing agents that make NO2 look like the hydrogen peroxide grannies use to scrub your scraped knees. O2F2 is a strong contender. But why stop there? If you can make H2O3's and H2O6's... Why not O6F2? Something that is already violently hypergolic with things like asbestos... Pump those two hideous chemicals together into several rings of big, beefy Pistons surrounding what would have to be the strongest damn crankshaft on the face of earth.

The roar of those sweet, evil, ridiculous, and thoroughly terrifying and all-the-more-fun-because-of-the-fear engines merely idling will be enough to rattle Charon's bones down at the dock on the far side of the Styx. Hades himself will wonder "what the hell is that racket?" when we inevitably redline them. Car alarms will be going off in Russia... Three years later when the residual shockwaves rebound off the antipodes over and over, echoing around the world back and forth until finally recombining into a ghostly, yet no less terrifying and eardrum-bursting howling symphony of chemistry, metallurgy, physics, and engineering being pushed to the absolute brink of possibility and well into the realm of absurdity.

Ooh.

Then mount a few saddles to them. The farther back, the larger they get - so the biggest one would fit a large sphinx. At the front would be a saddle small enough for petite humanoids. Complete with carbon nanotube reins and titanium alloy handles and whatnot.

Then pick your riders, sit them down... And hand them each a steel I-beam girder.

Then... Joust. At supersonic speeds. With immortal participants. Generating G-forces that would make John Paul Stapp piss himself in fear.

Can you imagine what would happen if Ghost Rider got a hold of one of these things?
Last edited by GlytchMeister on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:Why not O6F2? Something that is already violently hyperbolic with things like asbestos...
The compounds are violently hypergolic.

It's the experimenter who would be violently hyperbolic... his orbit, that is. One small premature donation and he'd be blown clear out of Dodge at speeds comparable to that of the Calendar Machine when Bud threw it into the sun. :mrgreen:

These aren't just Chemicals I Won't Work With. They are Chemicals I Hope Nobody In The State Will Work With.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

O2F2 is a strong contender.
I'll be over that way {points at a right angle to the direction of the rails}... about, um, 1/3 of the circumference of the earth.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Why not O6F2? Something that is already violently hyperbolic with things like asbestos...

It's the experimenter who would be violently hyperbolic... his orbit, that is. One small premature detonation and he'd be blown clear out of Dodge at speeds comparable to that of the Calendar Machine when Bud threw it into the sun. :mrgreen:

These aren't just Chemicals I Won't Work With. They are Chemicals I Hope Nobody In The State Will Work With.
Autocorrect got me. It appears Muphry's Law got you. :P
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:Autocorrect got me. It appears Muphry's Law got you. :P
Apparently, my "et" got et. :oops: :lol:
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

License plate on a car I was behind today: TINA OK.

Been driving your car around away from your usual haunts, Tazmaniac?
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Dave wrote:

It's the experimenter who would be violently hyperbolic... his orbit, that is. One small premature detonation and he'd be blown clear out of Dodge at speeds comparable to that of the Calendar Machine when Bud threw it into the sun. :mrgreen:

Autocorrect got me. It appears Muphry's Law got you. :P
But I'm sure that donation was for a good cause. Such as airline fares away from the site.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I totaled my car earlier.

I had to go get the two main lot porters from one of the neighboring dealerships, and as I went to cross the road on the return trip, we collided with a vehicle. I was the only one in my car wearing a seatbelt, but everyone involved is okay.

I had originally been told to take one of the used cars to go get them (though it is in walking distance), but I couldn't find the key for any that I could find.

The vehicle that hit mine hit a power pole, which knocked out power to several dealerships, a Sonic drive-in, and the movie theater.

I'm going to have to get checked, most likely, because my back hurts. Granted, it always hurts, but I still need to.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Eeeek! May all be well with you soon, may the insurance adjusters be generous and quick, and may all the small stuff be miniscule!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Catawampus wrote:License plate on a car I was behind today: TINA OK.

Been driving your car around away from your usual haunts, Tazmaniac?

Well, you know, I likes to make the rounds...
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Dave wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of New Mexico Tech's Rocket Sled-level speeds...

Take a track... No... Two tracks parallel to one another... Then take a couple big old Diesel engine cars and gut them and replace them with the absolute pinnacle of internal combustion technology, utilizing not mere hydrocarbons or ethanol, no. No, these engines would be using something with a little more oomph. High nitrogen compounds... Coupled with oxidizing agents that make NO2 look like the hydrogen peroxide grannies use to scrub your scraped knees. O2F2 is a strong contender. But why stop there? If you can make H2O3's and H2O6's... Why not O6F2? Something that is already violently hypergolic with things like asbestos... Pump those two hideous chemicals together into several rings of big, beefy Pistons surrounding what would have to be the strongest damn crankshaft on the face of earth.

The roar of those sweet, evil, ridiculous, and thoroughly terrifying and all-the-more-fun-because-of-the-fear engines merely idling will be enough to rattle Charon's bones down at the dock on the far side of the Styx. Hades himself will wonder "what the hell is that racket?" when we inevitably redline them. Car alarms will be going off in Russia... Three years later when the residual shockwaves rebound off the antipodes over and over, echoing around the world back and forth until finally recombining into a ghostly, yet no less terrifying and eardrum-bursting howling symphony of chemistry, metallurgy, physics, and engineering being pushed to the absolute brink of possibility and well into the realm of absurdity.

Ooh.

Then mount a few saddles to them. The farther back, the larger they get - so the biggest one would fit a large sphinx. At the front would be a saddle small enough for petite humanoids. Complete with carbon nanotube reins and titanium alloy handles and whatnot.

Then pick your riders, sit them down... And hand them each a steel I-beam girder.

Then... Joust. At supersonic speeds. With immortal participants. Generating G-forces that would make John Paul Stapp piss himself in fear.

Can you imagine what would happen if Ghost Rider got a hold of one of these things?
... shit... oK, Glytch... I think we need some intervention here... we've talked this over, and you're going decaf... as in right now...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Glytch just suffers from (or maybe enjoys) a bit of underdevelopment in a specific region of the brain which was named for its discoverers. The data leading to the discovery of this region was collected by Wen-Hai Chou at Kent State University, but the analyst that noticed it was computer-science/statistics major Jeannette Daille. The particular function of this region is that it causes the person to say "Yeah, I think I could do that, but... Chou-Daille?"

(deposits neuroscience book in the pun jar, then departs posthaste)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'm about to go get medically checked. Apparently, I have to do it before I can return to work.

I'd learned that the other driver has a broken thumb, but is not the sort to sue people.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Warrl wrote:Glytch just suffers from (or maybe enjoys) a bit of underdevelopment in a specific region of the brain which was named for its discoverers. The data leading to the discovery of this region was collected by Wen-Hai Chou at Kent State University, but the analyst that noticed it was computer-science/statistics major Jeannette Daille. The particular function of this region is that it causes the person to say "Yeah, I think I could do that, but... Chou-Daille?"

(deposits neuroscience book in the pun jar, then departs posthaste)
As well you should. :shock:

Actually, that brain center was known and understood long ago, from back in the early days of anatomy. It's been referred to by many terms, but is probably most popularly known as the "Hey, hold my beer and watch this!" subcortex.