You Might have Heard of the Hubble...

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

You Might have Heard of the Hubble...

Post by TazManiac »

Which would be this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Space_Telescope

But coming up on the horizon is the James Webb Space Telescope;

Isn't that a groovy picture? All colorful and ebby'ting...

Here is a comparison of the sizes of the two 'mirrors':

Note that while the main mirror of the Hubble is a single piece of reflective material, the JWST has a combination of segmented mirrors joined together to produce the final result.
"The telescope has an expected mass about half of Hubble Space Telescope's, but its primary mirror (a 6.5 meter diameter gold-coated beryllium reflector) will have a collecting area about five times as large (25 m2 vs. 4.5 m2)."

more to follow...
Sgt. Howard

Re: You Might have Heard of the Hubble...

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Pond for pound, this will be the most bang for the buck in space exploration.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Considering we don't have the Shuttle any more, this one better work right from the first...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Why don't we just outsource space exploration to aliens? They already have the technology and do it on a regular basis anyhow.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Alkarii wrote:Why don't we just outsource space exploration to aliens? They already have the technology and do it on a regular basis anyhow.
We don't know their e-mail address.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Alkarii wrote:Why don't we just outsource space exploration to aliens? They already have the technology and do it on a regular basis anyhow.
Either that, or all of our messages to them get filtered out as spam.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Catawampus wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Either that, or all of our messages to them get filtered out as spam.
That only proves how intelligent they are...

The only problem is that the picture shows the JWST is located on the surface. If so... that kinda defeats the purpose, since it'll be dealing with so much atmospheric interference that it won't be able to see past the end of your nose, and you'll never know if what you are looking at is a black hole cluster or a speck of dust on the lens.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:The only problem is that the picture shows the JWST is located on the surface. If so... that kinda defeats the purpose, since it'll be dealing with so much atmospheric interference that it won't be able to see past the end of your nose, and you'll never know if what you are looking at is a black hole cluster or a speck of dust on the lens.
Shneekey, it's my understanding they are planning on lifting it aloft by 2018...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Web ... _Telescope
The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), previously known as Next Generation Space Telescope (NGST), is a Flagship-class space observatory under construction and scheduled to launch in October 2018. The JWST will offer unprecedented resolution and sensitivity from long-wavelength (orange-red) visible light, through near-infrared to the mid-infrared (0.6 to 27 micrometers), and is a successor instrument to the Hubble Space Telescope and the Spitzer Space Telescope. While Hubble has a 2.4-meter (7.9 ft) mirror, the JWST features a larger and segmented 6.5-meter (21 ft) diameter primary mirror and will be located near the Earth–Sun L2 point. A large sunshield will keep its mirror and four science instruments below 50 K (−220 °C; −370 °F).
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

There are those who propose Manned Space Flight* isn't worth the expense and the risk to Humans- to them I say: we currently have a surplus of Humans going to waste & on top of that- this type of Observational Platform is cost effective; it is close to the Planet and doesn't require people to add a habitable space with in it to operate.

*(For those who question the right or wrong of Manned Space Flight, that is a story (thread) for another time...)

That said, I have good friends, (A few who actually object to "Why Should We?' & others) who object to NASA as a Governmental Entity & 'Rockets to the Moon' as a Money Pit, while we have so many people here on Earth who could benefit from the dollars-

to them I say;

Find a way to reduce the need to wage War, then we can talk about Science & Exploration Budgets...

I understand the Caveman's Reasoning of 'Kill them Mudder-Frackers who just invaded our Valley of Peace and Prosperity...',

but we, the Collective WE, _we_, we are supposed to be growing out of the need to be afraid of our fellow Human Being.

As humans we like to hitch our wagon to people we feel we can trust, those who will get out on the Pointy End & LEAD.

What has grown out of Previous Success is a few who treat all us Pawns/Knights/Rooks & Castles on the Chess Board as resources- I purpose we Don't kill ' the Other', instead we, Educate them.

If you cant convince them your way ain't right, maybe it isn't. But, did you even try?

And if we care if we can- If We Can reach across the divide of Fear and Suspicion, if we can stop paying for ways to kill our Neighbors. Well, Maybe.

Maybe.

Maybe we can look at each other as some Lazy ass'd Sons'a Bitches who wonder why we waited all this time to cast our gaze outward to the Heavens, to the fabric of existence all around ourselves and get to Venturing on Out There...

I ask you- do You think you have Bravery in your Fibrous Being?

Maybe you do. We'll see.

Don a sustainable environment and conquer the Unknown.

I dare you.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I truly wish we as a species can stop being assholes to each other... but the sad undeniable truth as seen from the perspective of history proves the concept to be utopian. As long as humans run the show, there will be those among them who see opportunity to use force to gain power. Many times in recent history, our nation has faced this accusation- I will not deny the fact that there is some truth to this. I personally believe we ought not meddle in the affairs of other nations unless we have no other choice- so what determines the threshold thereof? Faugh... I do not pretend to be so wise, I truly do not know.
I do know this- those who chant hymns of our death are NOT our friends and ought to be treated accordingly. Those who challenge our authority where international law allows our authority to exist ought to be ... reminded... that the Eagle has talons. In short, if you come looking for a fight, we will oblige you. Since the beginning of history, strong ruthless leaders have sought easy prey. I do not choose to be easy prey nor do I condone that my country be easy prey- I would not seek conquest of weaker nations nor (given voice in the matter) would I allow my country to do so- much of the recent wars in the middle east (regardless of what president was involved) have been in my mind totally pointless and mismanaged. Pushing Iraq out of Kuwait, yes- that had to happen. Stopping at the border, yes that was a disappointment to the troops and the public- but it was the right move (I was alive at that time and in uniform). We protected the sovereignty of one nation and even respected the same of those who we perceived as the enemy- tell me of any other nation that might do that in a conflict.
Some might consider this a political rant- not really, just as unbiased an assessment as I can manage... and I am the first to admit that I have my prejudices in the matter- but I am aware of them and do my best to counter such.

Bottom line- as a species, we are not anywhere near ready to abandon war. Not yet. I love the concept of a pacifistic humanity- but I am not convinced I will see it in this mortal frame- quite the contrary, I am convinced otherwise.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I try to balance idealism and pragmatism.

If there is a sufficiently large group of people calling for genocide and ethnic cleansing, then - no matter much the rest of the world doesn't want it - eventually there will be a serious attempt at genocide and ethnic cleansing.

We could try to persuade that group that genocide and ethnic cleansing are bad ideas. So far, talking to them and telling them it's a bad idea has been notably ineffective.

Failing that, the only question is which group will be the target.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Warrl wrote:We could try to persuade that group that genocide and ethnic cleansing are bad ideas. So far, talking to them and telling them it's a bad idea has been notably ineffective.

The answer to THAT question is self-evident- the offending group(s) in question have not held any secrets in this matter.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Sorry folks, I got on one of my taller soapboxes, still- I'd like to see more research, invention, discovery...
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
Warrl wrote:We could try to persuade that group that genocide and ethnic cleansing are bad ideas. So far, talking to them and telling them it's a bad idea has been notably ineffective.

The answer to THAT question is self-evident- the offending group(s) in question have not held any secrets in this matter.
But if enough of the right (wrong?) people become convinced that said groups really are serious and cannot be persuaded by more acceptable means, pre-emptive action might be taken.

Hopefully in small bites so that the remainder have a chance for second thoughts.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote:Sorry folks, I got on one of my taller soapboxes, still- I'd like to see more research, invention, discovery...
*high-fives*

Look, humans explore and spread. It's just something we do. Getting off this rock might be the thing that unites us. If nothing else, the attempts to do so have provided us landlubbers with some amazing technology.

Not only is it a beacon of progress... Space exploration and space travel is... Hope. Hope that one day, humans will be able to put aside their differences and finally see each other as humans and peers... And work together to achieve a level of greatness not even the most ambitious Roman could have ever dreamed of.

The Greeks sought to accomplish the epitome of what a man can do.
The Romans sought to accomplish the epitome of what a nation can do.

Imagine the works we, as a unified species, could accomplish. Imagine how great the epitome of all humanity's capability would be.

Space travel, exploration, unification, cooperation... It's all really one thing, when you think about it in a certain way:

It's apotheosis.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:The Greeks sought to accomplish the epitome of what a man can do.
The Romans sought to accomplish the epitome of what a nation can do.

Imagine the works we, as a unified species, could accomplish. Imagine how great the epitome of all humanity's capability would be.

Space travel, exploration, unification, cooperation... It's all really one thing, when you think about it in a certain way:

It's apotheosis.
Very well said, my friend. Taken as a whole, our species is capable of terrible horror and cruelty, and also acts of great kindness and creations of wonder.

I know which path I'd refer to see us emphasize.

Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future and it changed us.

It taught us that we have to create the future or others will do it for us.

It showed us that we have to care for one another, because if we don't, who will?

And that true strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely places.

Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope, that there can always be new beginnings.

Even for people like us.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dang, pithy acknowledgements of the previous posts...

Now I'm going to have to enlarge my internal Thesaurus and go (finally) binge watch through Babylon 5.
(I was with it when it started, but somehow reality on my side of the screen kept from keeping track...).

[I blame the Ex, or my lackthereof...]
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another.
while i love the sentiment behind your optimism... unfortunately I'm a pessimist, and frankly i think that Ivanova has it right...

"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow. What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM!"
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

boom. Well, yeah- soon or later, Boom.

In the mean time I'm recalling the local Library had an Astronomical Night Out last year, ostensibly for the School Kids- who turned out in about a score or so.... but it was postponed due to cloudy seeing. (baaaaah...)

The next night it was On but only a handful of grownups came out. Still, it was great.

I was hoping to resurrect that again this Summer but the long days meant for Little Ones getting to bed soon after or before Sundown, so I was nudged towards the shorter days and earlier star rise of at least the current Fall/Autumn Season. (Yeeeeah!)

Here's hoping to rouse some interest in the local (very) rural population, including - who knows, maybe a budding Astronomer in our midst, and make use of the Dark Skies overhead.

(No one should have to endure a Tyrant, but I sure would like to grapple w/ Light Pollution...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing ... ther_World
During his report, Scotty broadcasts a warning to the reporters:
"Tell the world. Tell this to everybody, wherever they are. Watch the skies everywhere. Keep looking. Keep watching the skies".