Not The Reason 2016-09-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Not The Reason 2016-09-21

Post by lake_wrangler »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/not-the-reason/

That's the second time she rationalizes her behavior as being "doe eyed", to which she now adds "giggly"...

I think she may be well on her way to mastering the art of understatement...

... And I don't get whatever conclusion she just got in her "penny drop" moment...
jwhouk

Re: Not The Reason 2016-09-21

Post by jwhouk »

It wasn't the fact that they were ogling him.

It was that they were treating him like the substitute teacher.

Having been on the receiving end of being the "sub" in my workplace before, I can understand her anger.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

As in, lacking sufficient respect towards him, because he's "only" a substitute teacher?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

lake_wrangler wrote:As in, lacking sufficient respect towards him, because he's "only" a substitute teacher?
Bingo.

And, of course, there's the "let's see what we can get away with" stuff (which I deal with constantly).
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Still not convinced thats all there is to it.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

oldmanmickey wrote:Still not convinced thats all there is to it.
me neither, the only other thing i thought of myself, is that Devyn is gay and the other girls, based on their reactions AREN'T... then somebody else here in the forums thought that maybe the other girls overloaded Devyn's empathic abilities with lust (those powers she showed when she DIDN'T 'hold back" her powers and sucked those two bullies into her nether nightmare world) i can't imagine what the raging case of hormones those girls had for the teacher felt like to Devyn...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

I choose to view this as her realizing Devyn is gay until told utterwise.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

A lot is left to interpretation but yeah... it appears that Devyn might be a little sweet on Abbie... hence the reason she went off on Abbie about finding the sub-teacher all hot and stuffs and not the rest of the girls...

Last Panel should be titled: "And the light goes on..."
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

scantrontb wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:Still not convinced thats all there is to it.
me neither, the only other thing i thought of myself, is that Devyn is gay and the other girls, based on their reactions AREN'T... then somebody else here in the forums thought that maybe the other girls overloaded Devyn's empathic abilities with lust (those powers she showed when she DIDN'T 'hold back" her powers and sucked those two bullies into her nether nightmare world) i can't imagine what the raging case of hormones those girls had for the teacher felt like to Devyn...
My thought is, maybe Devyn sees the "inappropriate student/teacher interaction" aspect -- if Mr. Peterson were to treat them as they were *him*, his neck would be on the line. Possibly a double-standard.

Wildcat
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

DilyV wrote:A lot is left to interpretation but yeah... it appears that Devyn might be a little sweet on Abbie... hence the reason she went off on Abbie about finding the sub-teacher all hot and stuffs and not the rest of the girls...

Yes! This! I was about to say this exact thing but you beat me to it.
eee

Post by eee »

DilyV wrote:A lot is left to interpretation but yeah... it appears that Devyn might be a little sweet on Abbie... hence the reason she went off on Abbie about finding the sub-teacher all hot and stuffs and not the rest of the girls...

This makes sense, and would certainly explain things. On the other hand, it may simply be that Devyn was the only one who WASN'T giggly and doe-eyed, and she's angry and confused about that. Like "Why are you all behaving like this?? What's WRONG with you?!?!?" All of her friends were feeling something, and she wasn't feeling the same.

It could be because she's gay, but we've seen no sign of that, and she can't be the only gay girl in her class. I am suspicious of the teacher. It may be he's got some sort of glamour, some magic beyond mere physical appearance, that makes him ultra-appealing to young girls. He may even be an incubus, or an incubus/something hybrid, like Atsali. It would be madness to send an incubus into a classroom of young girls unless he was completely trustworthy, but perhaps. And Devyn is the daughter of one of the original Olympian goddesses. It is possible she is of a power level beyond his ability to affect. This would explain things.

It is also wild-ass speculation. :D We'll see.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Maybe Devyn likes the Teacher, but for like serious...
illiad

Post by illiad »

Of course Devyn could be asexual, or simply not mature enough for 'rampant hormones' to take over her sensibilities...
sheik

Post by sheik »

TazManiac wrote:Maybe Devyn likes the Teacher, but for like serious...
Or perhaps Devyn _respects_the teacher for whatever reason and is just a bit put off by her classmates' utter lack of it.
Whatever it is, it's a cinch we don't know enough about either Devyn or Mr. Peterson to make a call at this point.
illiad

Post by illiad »

well this is how Devyn normally feels....could be why she has problems.... :o
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/make-me-feel/
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Okay, Lesbian Goggles Mode GO!

So, I read back and I do believe Devyn is gay and a bit sweet on Abbie.

I mean she only ever blushes around other girls, never guys. Heck, her face basically bursts into flames every time Atsali does something nice for her. Or she bites her lip.

Abbie usually causes a different reaction from her then the others. Devyn was upset about the vote, but Abbie said what she said and Devyn went off without a word. Abbie tried to stop Devyn's yelling and Devyn did nothing, but when she thought Alexis was trying to stop her she yells at her to leave her be. Immediately after Abbie complimented her costume Devyn showed off the bee dance, also blushing like anything. Her responses always seem to be more energetic around Abbie, like on the history paper music page. And then most recently, that happy look on Devyn's face when Abbie says that senior year line, and looking sideways at Abbie. And then, Alexis was also in that class, and yet the one Devyn goes to is Abbie. And the look on her face in the last panel, that to me doesn't look so much like anger, more like hurt.

And then how I'm guessing Abbie realized when she said how Devyn was the only girl in class who wasn't doe eyed, that she wasn't upset because the sub was being objectified, but because Abbie was one of the girls doing it, and that plus the only girl who wasn't bit. Well. Like Berdine said, Penny Drop.

Also, I didn't even recognize Berdine at first, it has been a long time since she last showed up.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Only one hole in that theory: when Devyn met Atsali.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:Only one hole in that theory: when Devyn met Atsali.
In what way?

Main thing i remember from that event is "Squeek!"
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Huh?
illiad

Post by illiad »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
In what way?

Main thing i remember from that event is "Squeek!"
read http://wapsisquare.com/comic/just-look/ and the next few pages!!!

Um, Devyn did not 'just' meet Atsali.... :/ she was forced by her peer group, who were all too frightened to do it... ( apex paranormal, coolest girl in the school... etc, etc)

What would you do, if a 'mega star' who you have *worshiped* for decades, appears in *your* bar, and your friends 'force' you to go talk???