Unabashed Self-Promotion

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

GlytchMeister

Re: Unabashed Self-Promotion

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote:Here is a walmart link to the same or similar as I have in the 4x4; I thinks pretty close to Glych's description of the larger of his two 'stoves'.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/895629?wmlspa ... 3=&veh=sem

(dang, that's a long link. I thought Google was my friend...)
That is exactly it!
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Steel woo makes good tinder if you are striking sparks or using a fire drill.

Or if you have a battery handy.
Yeah, but all I had in bulk was twine. All my other fire starting tricks were held in reserve for urgent matters, like "Holy F___k it's cold" or "EVERYTHING OUT HERE IS WET"

After the first "everything is wet" day, I took to keeping enough dry wood to get a strong fire going in my car. I ended up looking like I was driving a Spriggan around town all the time, but it helped.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:After the first "everything is wet" day, I took to keeping enough dry wood to get a strong fire going in my car. I ended up looking like I was driving a Spriggan around town all the time, but it helped.
If you've got a strong fire going in your car, I'd think that driving it around town would tend to attract attention and comments. Although, "Salamander" rather than "Spriggan" perhaps.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

TazManiac wrote:Here is a walmart link to the same or similar as I have in the 4x4; I thinks pretty close to Glych's description of the larger of his two 'stoves'.

Here ya go, link to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/gmg34ug

Http://tinyurl.com is your friend.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:

Here ya go, link to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/gmg34ug

Http://tinyurl.com is your friend.
No. No it is not. tinyurl is a thing to be avoided, not courted. Too many malicious uses for that blasted site.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

You mean like this?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:No. No it is not. tinyurl is a thing to be avoided, not courted. Too many malicious uses for that blasted site.
I used to have an extension loaded into Chrome, that would take tiny urls, and instead of leading me directly to wherever it went, would lead me to an intermediate page that would tell me where the tiny url points to, and let me choose whether to follow it or not. For some reason, that extension is no longer on my Chrome. Looking for it again, I see many that will make tiny urls, but barely any that lets you preview an existing one...

I just found and installed one called Preview Short URLs and tested it against the tiny url of the Walmart stove, provided in a post above. It works: it takes me to a page with a black background, the logo of the extension, and the full link displayed below.

I still don't know why I no longer had such an extension on my Chrome browser...
AnotherFairportfan

Google probably disabled it.

Like they're completely disabling Flash in the next version.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

That sounds like a total dick move. Not gonna use that browser when I get internet.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

You guys missed it: the original extension, I can't find anymore, but there is a newer one that does the same thing, and works.

(Then again, it might be the same as before, and I had somehow removed it without noticing...)
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote:That sounds like a total dick move. Not gonna use that browser when I get internet.
The world is moving away from Flash, which has all sorts of problems, to HTML5, which works better and doesn't.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Ah, okay. I never kept up with what was what.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote:I just decided to indulge my curiosity about alcohol stoves, and ordered up a White Box. I'll try this out as a way of making coffee, and boiling water for some dehydrated camp meals when I drive up to the Mount Shasta area at the end of next week.
Well, I'm reasonably impressed with the White Box alcohol stove. I used it this weekend while camping near Lake Siskyou. It's a water-boiler, not a "heat and simmer" (its heat level isn't adjustable... it's burning, or it's out) but for that purpose it works very well indeed. Used it three times - twice for breakfast and once for dinner. Used up maybe 6 fluid ounces of denatured alcohol, and some of that was wasted; I over-filled twice as I wasn't sure how much would be required to boil the amount of water I'd put in the pot. Lights easily, burns well and cleanly, and the windscreen worked fine.

I had my larger Gaz Bluet butane stove in the car trunk, but never bothered to take it out of the box. It looks as if this style of stove is effectively obsolete - everybody is using the cartridges with a threaded valve, and the "pierce" cartridges aren't being imported. Safety issues, apparently. I guess I'll have to retire it once I've used up the last few cartridges I have in the box.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave, you should be able to retro fit a screw-on end to your older stove...