Stability and posture.

Girls like Monica aren't just in the comics. Ask a real-life Jaguar Girl your questions about the day to day ins-n-outs when you're 4'10" and your bras live in the upper half of the alphabet. Keep it clean of course! Your mom may be reading these too! ;) Also, be sure to come visit me at http://yananimkova.com/

Moderators: MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Bookworm, starkruzr, Wapsi

Forum rules
Forum rules
Hello everyone! I just wanted to have a formal welcome to everyone who reads Wapsi Square and joins this forum. This is where you can discuss all things Wapsi related and get to know fellow fans.

*Please don't start any off topic threads here or direct any existing threads astray, OT discussion can be had over at the Wapsi Pub.*

General Rules:
-NO SPAM!!!

-NO TROLLING OR FLAME WARS. Period. You will get one warning. Repeat offenders will get NO warning!

-Swear words are not censored but keep obscene language to a minimum.

-Do not bother other forum members on the board or through direct messaging if they have requested you to stop. If someone is bothering you and you have asked them to stop, let the moderators know by sending them a PM.

-Do not post pictures of or links to obscene material. Any link that is potentially not safe for work, let us know: NSFW

Other than that, everyone play nice and enjoy your stay!
Dave

Re: Stability and posture.

Post by Dave » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:42 pm

GlytchMeister wrote:Callahan's?
Oh my... you know not....? :shock:

Spider Robinson's SF-ish stories set in "Callahan's Crosstime Saloon". They're told from the viewpoint of Jake, a folksinger and guitarist.

Puns are just as much part of the atmosphere at Callahan's as they are here. I'd guess that the Callahan's stories have been a formative influence on a lot of us here... probably on most of the most-insufferable among us.

My recommendation: start at the beginning ("The Guy With The Eyes") and go through them in order... there are spoilers if you jump around too much.

Go. Find copies. Read.

Lemme put it this way... the spirit of the Wapsi forums, and the spirit of a particular noisy Irish bar called Callahan's, are twins separated at birth. Lots in common.

EDIT: just dug around a bit and found that Spider has done a bunch of podcasts... including one in which he reads "The Guy With The Eyes"!

http://www.spiderrobinson.com/podcast.html for the index, http://media.libsyn.com/media/spiderweb/SOTW050a.mp3 to get this specific podcast directly.

He also has one where he reads Sturgeon's "Slow Sculpture"... and another, entitled "Suicide Prevention Kit", in which he reads Sturgeon's "A Saucer Of Loneliness"! This makes today one of the best Mondays I've had in quite a while... gotta do some downloading!

Talk about formative influences... Spider has described "Saucer" as one of the two reasons he didn't blow his brains out during a tough period in his youth. Although I can't make quite the same claim, I do deeply understand why he cherishes that particular story.

EDIT again: God's navel! He's got a reading of "The Magnificent Conspiracy" as well. I am so glad I looked!
Last edited by Dave on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:18 pm

Yana Nimkova wrote:That was a pun worthy of Callahan's.
AHA!!! SHE KNOWS OF IT!!! There can be no better influence...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.

Yana Nimkova

Post by Yana Nimkova » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:25 am

Mike Callahan's motto fits these forums very well: "Shared joy is joy increased, shared pain is pain diminished."

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:54 am

Wow, I certainly stumbled upon something here... I'll have to look this up and read through this stuff...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!

Warrl

Post by Warrl » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:56 pm

GlytchMeister wrote:Wow, I certainly stumbled upon something here... I'll have to look this up and read through this stuff...
I don't know about "have to", but it's strongly recommended.

Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Warrl wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Wow, I certainly stumbled upon something here... I'll have to look this up and read through this stuff...
NO. HAVE TO. GO NOW. READ.

If I have to I will ship you my copies.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:54 pm

Just Old Al wrote:
Warrl wrote:
NO. HAVE TO. GO NOW. READ.

If I have to I will ship you my copies.
Nah, I have a library card, I'll find 'em. No worries, Al. :)
I'm too much!

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Yes, the twenty-something guy has a library card. :P
I'm too much!

Catawampus

Post by Catawampus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Dave wrote:You do have to wonder about the metaphysics and moral questions, though. It's a bit like in The Sirens of Titan. Is it really just and proper that Catawampus's whole hidden purpose in life, for the last few decades, was to be in the right place at the right time, in the right forum, discussing the right topic, to set up the straight line for a horrendous pun ambush? Did Catawampus know, or guess?
Or perhaps it was all a long-standing plot of mine, secretly grooming Al into the ultimate of weaponised paronomasiacs and waiting for the perfect moment to trigger him. Now I can hold the world hostage, as they tremble upon the verge of linguistic annihilation!!!
GlytchMeister wrote:Yes, the twenty-something guy has a library card. :P
You say that as though there are people who don't!

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:30 pm

Catawampus wrote:
Dave wrote:You do have to wonder about the metaphysics and moral questions, though. It's a bit like in The Sirens of Titan. Is it really just and proper that Catawampus's whole hidden purpose in life, for the last few decades, was to be in the right place at the right time, in the right forum, discussing the right topic, to set up the straight line for a horrendous pun ambush? Did Catawampus know, or guess?
Or perhaps it was all a long-standing plot of mine, secretly grooming Al into the ultimate of weaponised paronomasiacs and waiting for the perfect moment to trigger him. Now I can hold the world hostage, as they tremble upon the verge of linguistic annihilation!!!
Fiendish! I like the way you think.

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:33 pm

Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Yes, the twenty-something guy has a library card. :P
You say that as though there are people who don't!
I'm distressed by the number of twenty-something people who I'm fairly certain don't ...

... read. At all. At least, not books.

A couple of years ago, I met a young lady at a social event, who said she was a secondary-school teacher in the area. I asked her how many of her students read for pleasure. She held up her hand, with fingers making a "zero" symbol.

Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:02 am

Re: Spider Robinson podcasts:

I'm not a big one for podcasts in general, but I just listened to "The Guy With The Eyes".

Wow.

Nothing like an author reading their own work to give you a true feel for the material. Highly recommended.

Alan
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."

Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:04 am

Catawampus wrote: Or perhaps it was all a long-standing plot of mine, secretly grooming Al into the ultimate of weaponised paronomasiacs and waiting for the perfect moment to trigger him. Now I can hold the world hostage, as they tremble upon the verge of linguistic annihilation!!!
One teeny-weeny point you forgot there...we need to discuss creative control... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Heeheehee...never, ever forget that if the bomb has volition you have to get it to agree with you. :mrgreen: