Photo Album

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Hansontoons

Some awesomeness...

Post by Hansontoons »

Bad Co. & Joe Walsh in Houston area a couple weeks back... apologies for the lousy cell 'phone pics. It was a really fun time.
IMG_1018.jpg
IMG_1018.jpg (130.94 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
IMG_1049.jpg
IMG_1049.jpg (134.33 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
IMG_1035.jpg
IMG_1035.jpg (133.62 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
Hansontoons

And dictionary definition of suck...

Post by Hansontoons »

Got flooded last weekend. Only 8" in the house, but that means tear out sheetrock 4' up, all the cabinets, and flooring to be replaced. I was needing an update to the place, but this is the inconvenient way to get it.

There are lots others in the area that got it worse than me, I still have A/C and can live upstairs until the repairs are complete. Just waiting on the adjuster to submit estimate, then wait for a check, then wait for contractor to start. Not the way I envisioned spending my summer!

Water at highest-
IMG_1072.jpg
IMG_1072.jpg (148.92 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
The entire first floor looks like this-
IMG_1096.jpg
IMG_1096.jpg (121.6 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
Jasper is still a little befused as to what is going on-
IMG_1099.jpg
IMG_1099.jpg (111.56 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
Alkarii

Re: Photo Album

Post by Alkarii »

That's why I'm super glad I'm on a hill. The water would have to rise a LOT to reach my yard. The hill is a good six or seven feet higher than the surrounding woods, at least on the west and south sides.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Alkarii wrote:That's why I'm super glad I'm on a hill. The water would have to rise a LOT to reach my yard. The hill is a good six or seven feet higher than the surrounding woods, at least on the west and south sides.
So if you ever get water pouring into your home, you KNOW you're in big trouble... :roll:
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

DWC, I hope you realize just how jealous I am of you for seeing Bad Co. And Joe Walsh.

And then you went and got your house filled with water, so now I'm feeling sorry for you and lucky I don't live in a floodplain.

So I guess it kinda balances out?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote:That's why I'm super glad I'm on a hill. The water would have to rise a LOT to reach my yard. The hill is a good six or seven feet higher than the surrounding woods, at least on the west and south sides.
Just so long as the hill isn't a dormant volcano. . .
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

GlytchMeister wrote:DWC, I hope you realize just how jealous I am of you for seeing Bad Co. And Joe Walsh.

And then you went and got your house filled with water, so now I'm feeling sorry for you and lucky I don't live in a floodplain.

So I guess it kinda balances out?
Well to rub it in, here are the set lists:

Bad Co.- Live for the Music; Gone, Gone, Gone; Feel Like Makin' Love; Burnin' Sky; Happy Birthday; Electricland; Ready for Love (Mott the Hoople cover); Crazy Circles; Seagull; Movin' On; Shooting Star; Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy; Can't Get Enough; Bad Company; Rock Steady.

Joe Walsh- Walk Away (James Gang); Analog Man; Rosewood Bitters; Mother Says; The Bomber: Closet Queen/Bolero/Cast Your Fate to the Wind; Take it to the Limit (Glenn Frey tribute); Turn to Stone; In the City; Funk #49 (James Gang); Life's Been Good; Life in the Fast Lane (Eagles); Rocky Mountain Way.

The crowd was mainly folks that were the same age as the bands, but there were still a good number of younger people rocking out too. I was in line to obtain another adult beverage and noticed two guys half my age standing in the next line over. Both had Joe Walsh t-shirts on so I asked how did they get in to Joe's music. Both said from their father. Pretty cool.

I'm not sure about the balance- my voice and hearing came back in a couple days, the effects of the water will be lingering a bit longer. :)

Still, I am very glad to have gone. You never know when they will stop touring.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

*iz green*
I'm too much!
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

GlytchMeister wrote:*iz green*
Like dis???

:D
GreenGlytch.jpg
GreenGlytch.jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 10391 times
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

That actually looks kinda interesting... I'm supposed to be holding fire in that pic, but the green wash makes it look like I'm some kind of radiation-bender or something.
I'm too much!
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

GlytchMeister wrote:That actually looks kinda interesting... I'm supposed to be holding fire in that pic, but the green wash makes it look like I'm some kind of radiation-bender or something.
It increases the contrast nicely. I've seen that avatar a thousand times and never noticed the flame.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Typeminer wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:That actually looks kinda interesting... I'm supposed to be holding fire in that pic, but the green wash makes it look like I'm some kind of radiation-bender or something.
It increases the contrast nicely. I've seen that avatar a thousand times and never noticed the flame.
It's a bit more noticeable when you see the real drawing. A lot is lost in the compression - the drawing is about 17"x22".
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Perhaps you're burning some of the boric acid from the nuclear reactor's coolant?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Catawampus wrote:
Perhaps you're burning some of the boric acid from the nuclear reactor's coolant?
You know you're an engineer when you immediately think "why would there be boric acid in a nuclear reactor's coolant?"
I'm too much!
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

GlytchMeister wrote:You know you're an engineer when you immediately think "why would there be boric acid in a nuclear reactor's coolant?"
And you know you've seen too much Monster Chiller Horror Theater when you think "to poison the mutant cockroaches." :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:You know you're an engineer when you immediately think "why would there be boric acid in a nuclear reactor's coolant?"
To absorb excess neutrons.
Typeminer wrote:
And you know you've seen too much Monster Chiller Horror Theater when you think "to poison the mutant cockroaches." :mrgreen:
Don't be silly. The boric acid only mutates them more and makes them stronger.

But it also makes the mutant spiders stronger and bigger, and then they get the mutant cockroaches.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Lightning bolts and lightning bugs. Coincidence, or causality? You decide!
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Catawampus wrote:Lightning bolts and lightning bugs. Coincidence, or causality? You decide!
Nice.

That view is almost identical to the old family farm in Iowa. North of the house was a grove of trees with an open area between house and trees that the lightning bugs loved. Reminds me of those hot, still nights; storm brewing, maybe it would come, maybe not. Go to bed with windows open and box fan humming, hoping that the storm would come and bring some wind or even just a cool breeze. Wake up later, it's a little cooler so pull the sheet up and go back to sleep.

While my uncle still farmed the place, we would come visit and spend several days. My reward for being a good kid was several boxes of .22 shells and lots of empty cans for targets. For a few years there was a go-cart, the gravel drive was a blast for drifting and sliding. Of course there was boredom, listening to the grown-ups talk around the kitchen table about stuff that held no interest. And if the wind was wrong, you couldn't even get Mankato on the TV.

But after my uncle retired and moved to town, my dad had also retired. And after a couple of years in the Houston summer heat he and mom decided to summer at the farm, it was empty since brother and wife had moved to town. As an adult, my view of the place changed. It became a place of quiet and honest work. While dad was still spry enough to get the place running after being vacant over winter, I'd come visit every other year or so, visit the relatives still in the area and take in the solitude. As dad aged and it became a chore to drive up, get the well back on line, clear the windfall and brush from the yard, etc., I started driving up with them and spend a week to help get things squared away. All that ended a few years back when they decided it was too much trouble and each year there were fewer of their friends still around. His brother is gone, none of the kids wanted to take the place on (did I mention the pig barns that were within smelling distance if the wind was right?), so they sold the farm and drove away.

But it's not over yet! They've been missing being there and decided to look for a place to rent for a few weeks. And they found one, a nice cottage on a lake near Fairmont, Minnesota. So far, they think they can make the drive. They did a test run to Pensacola, Florida to visit his other brother. Survived. Dad'll be 90 in October, mom does most the driving. I may have a road trip in the near future, towards the end of July for the trip up or mid-August for the trip back if the drive turns out to be too much. We shall see.
Iowa July 2009 020.jpg
Iowa July 2009 020.jpg (86.25 KiB) Viewed 10333 times
Northern Skies.jpg
Northern Skies.jpg (47.86 KiB) Viewed 10333 times
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Finally had an open weekend to make some progress. Spent the day with hammer and pry bar in hand, along with my daughter and three other able-bodied demolition experts. Now just need the contractor to get busy!
IMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1161.jpg (116.3 KiB) Viewed 10313 times
IMG_1160.jpg
IMG_1160.jpg (111.34 KiB) Viewed 10313 times
I think Jasper likes the no-walls theme, easier to get a drink!
IMG_1157.jpg
IMG_1157.jpg (114.82 KiB) Viewed 10313 times
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

while the drywall is still removed, now is the best time to look for and repair any leaks on any of the pipes, AND you really should spray some mold-killer thoroughly on every piece of lumber that will be remaining in place so as to prevent 'black-mold' from growing in the soon-to-be-enclosed spaces of the walls after the drywall goes up. personally i wouldn't wait for the contractor to do anything like that, A)because the longer it has a chance to grow, the worse it'll get. and B) usually contractors are not under contract to DO that, they are JUST there to replace the drywall and fittings, etc...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac