1970s Leica in unopened original packaging - only $45K

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

1970s Leica in unopened original packaging - only $45K

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

For a mere $45K, you can own this ultra-rare, unopened Leica KE-7A camera
Gannon Burgett/DigitalTrends wrote:Throughout the early parts of the 1970s, Leica manufactured a small collection of Leica Leitz KE–7A rangefinder cameras.

Internally identical to Leica’s M4 camera, the KE–7A was created specifically for the U.S. Army and improved upon the M4 framework by adding a more durable shutter button designed to work in lower temperatures, as well as improved the weather sealing throughout the entire camera.

With only 505 units ever produced, the KE–7A is now considered a collectors item. Of the 505 units, 460 were acquired by the U.S. Army. The remainder were sold elsewhere and lack the U.S. Army insignia engraved on the ones purchased by the military.

{This is NOT the camera in the article}
Unsurprisingly, not many of these cameras are still around, especially in the hands of the general public. But right now, for a very hefty price tag, you can get your very own KE–7A set for a mere $45,000.

Related: Leica’s luxury cameras get rugged with the dust- water- and shock-proof X-U

Said to be unopened and in pristine condition, this KE–7A set comes with an untouched camera body, a Leica 50mm f/2 Elcan Lens, lens hood/cap, a case, a release cable, and an accompanying camera strap. The icing on the cake is the camera manual, which is believed to contain a chapter that specifically references what should be done in the event the enemy combatant could somehow get possession of the camera.

The camera itself isn’t shown in any of the photos, reportedly due to being sealed in its original packaging. Don’t expect to receive an empty box, though. To help ease the expenditure of $45,000 without ever seeing the exact item you’re buying, the seller has included an X-ray image of the contents of the packaging, which indeed shows a camera inside.

{This IS the camera in the article}
To further prove the authenticity, the seller also shares various serialized numbers specifically given to the 460 cameras purchased by the U.S. Army.

If the X-ray image and serialized numbers aren’t enough to prove what’s inside, the seller notes that for a $7,500 non-refundable deposit, he will open the mint-condition packaging and unveil the camera.

In the event you have forty-five grand on hand, you can head on over and claim your purchase on eBay.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Jabberwonky

Re: 1970s Leica in unopened original packaging - only $45K

Post by Jabberwonky »

Okay, it costs 45K...but what's it worth?

Edit: Not much of a bargain...Mint with lens is only $19000 to $20000...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
AnotherFairportfan

Jabberwonky wrote:Okay, it costs 45K...but what's it worth?
To me? Maybe $500. If i could get film. I don't buy "collectibles" - wouldn't own a car i didn't dare drive on the road or an LP i didn't dare play, because they were "worth too much".
Edit: Not much of a bargain...Mint with lens is only $19000 to $20000...
It's the sealed package.

Collectors are weird. Do you know about slabbed comics?

Permanently sealed, can never be read.

But it will never have more eye tracks on the pages, lowering its collector value!.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Okay, I really, really dislike that concept. I like action figures, to me they're like little statues of the characters I like. I've been chided by more that one friend for opening the packages to pose them and set them where I will. Not a few times they might be called to action when I'm stalled at a project to interact with each other for my amusement. They're toys, or comics in this instance, to deny their purpose is fundamentally change what they are and their role in life. You play with toys, you read comics. To 'slab' them is to make them an object whose only value is monetary.

Just my 2cp...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Yeah! Toys are made to be played with! Remember Prospector Pete? He went nuts, because he was being kept as a collector piece...
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Not only that, people who buy crap to collect and hoard it are fools to think it has any value. Especially crap that's marketed as collectible and hoardable.

Even Hagar figurines.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I have a copy of the Iron Maiden single "Sanctuary" on vinyl. Original pressing, too. And the record itself is in damn good condition. Got it for fairly cheap.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

I have a first-edition 'Dragonflight' signed by Anne McCaffery. I also have a poster of the cover for 'White Dragon' signed by both Annie and Michael Whalen, who happened to both be at the Dragoncon that I was working. I was assigned as her liason (read: whatever she needs, get it done) on what was to be her final trip to the US. As a reward, they both signed the poster. Which was amazing considering how afflicted she was by arthritis by that time.

My father has a book, well... technically two books, but they're read from either side reversed. One of Asimov's first works, actually. He picked up the book so cheap because it wasn't in very good quality, and someone had scribbled on the inner cover. Sure enough, that's Asimov's signature.
AnotherFairportfan

It might be "one of Asimov's first works" in terms of when he wrote iy, but, since the description tells me it' an Ace Double, it's far from his earliest published work...

When "Marooned Off Vesta" was first published {his first published story} mass-market paperbacks didn't exist at all, much less Ace Doubles.

Nice to pick up an autographed copy cheap that way, though.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I don't tend to collect stuff just to have it sit around, unless it's something like paintings. If it's made for a purpose, I'm probably going to use it. 300+ year old Chinese porcelain bowl? It holds odds and ends that I sometimes carry in my pockets. Hundred year old rifle? Use it as a sniper rifle. Books signed by Tolkien or Tennyson or Sharyn McCrumb or Harlan Ellison? They're on the shelves with my other books, and I handle them without wearing gloves!!! Intentionally buying a camera to not use it, or an action figure to not play with it, or a comic to not read it. . .that's not something that I would do. I understand that it is thought of as an investment, but I can think of much better investments to make that are a lot less liable to accidental devaluation or even destruction.