Photo Album

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Hansontoons

Photo Album

Post by Hansontoons »

How about using this thread as a drop for photos of random stuff so they don't clutter up other topics? Like my hawks...

Hawk action today. The hawk in the close-up had caught a snake along the fairway/creek behind my house. I went inside for the camera, took a couple shots (the bird was too far away for decent pic) and then it took flight as some golfers were advancing. It landed in the tree right above my deck, very convenient for me! It stayed there for a half minute then flew off towards the nest. Both parents are feeding the babies, the in-flight shot was one of them leaving the nest. Info on Red Shouldered Hawks states indicates the difference between female/male birds is that the female is larger. I have not seen both at the nest at the same time, so no idea which one we are seeing here.
With snack....jpg
With snack....jpg (136.24 KiB) Viewed 27010 times
Flight.jpg
Flight.jpg (136.66 KiB) Viewed 27010 times
Or if the idea of an album topic is not popular, it can go away.
Jabberwonky

Re: Photo Album

Post by Jabberwonky »

When are you going to install a little web-cam? (I'll hold the ladder if you need help...)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:When are you going to install a little web-cam? (I'll hold the ladder if you need help...)
Bird-cam! Bird cam!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

DinkyInky wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:When are you going to install a little web-cam? (I'll hold the ladder if you need help...)
Bird-cam! Bird cam!
What about all the cute little spiders?

(I almost typed "What about us grils?")
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Hmm... idea of Bird-cam is intriguing. Will have to do some research for system, cost, how it might irritate neighbors or not.

If anyone has recommendation for system, send it on. The camera would be best if it has telephoto ability, if there is such a unit. Uncle Sam owes me some money, so funding may not be an issue.

The nest is up in a pine tree above second floor roof level and one house away from mine, see screenshot. My rooftop vantage point is the smaller circle. Tree with nest is larger circle.

I don't think my neighbor would mind the "intrusion" as there aren't any windows into his house on that side, and nothing of his house would show up in the image anyways.

No photos today, I was away this morning and the weather moved in this afternoon so everyone is grounded.
Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 5.15.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 5.15.28 PM.png (132.31 KiB) Viewed 26975 times
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
Bird-cam! Bird cam!
What about all the cute little spiders?

(I almost typed "What about us grils?")
I would set up some strategically placed privacy screens if they asked. :D
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

DinkyInky wrote:
Bird-cam! Bird cam!
I think it would be wise to tell the neighbors you are thinking of doing this, before spending any money on it. If you can't satisfy any privacy concerns they express in a manner that satisfies them, don't do it.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Warrl wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
Bird-cam! Bird cam!
I think it would be wise to tell the neighbors you are thinking of doing this, before spending any money on it. If you can't satisfy any privacy concerns they express in a manner that satisfies them, don't do it.
That step is early on the checklist. :)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

There's a few kids I know play with GoPro's. If you set it up right, you can even 'tweet' timed shots and videos for an audience.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Chow time! Snake tartare. These shots are from my second story rooftop. Comparing the nest height with the house next door, I'd need a four story house to be on an even level with the nest. I could see two babies, not sure if more than that.
DSC_0050.jpg
DSC_0050.jpg (158.1 KiB) Viewed 26945 times
DSC_0060.jpg
DSC_0060.jpg (155.56 KiB) Viewed 26945 times
DSC_0078.jpg
DSC_0078.jpg (158.17 KiB) Viewed 26945 times
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

A tall pole and a couple of motorized actuators would be the easy fix...
;)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Jabberwonky wrote:A tall pole and a couple of motorized actuators would be the easy fix...
;)
Or cable operated mechanical devices- bicycle brake handles and cables operating the shutter and whatnot...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Or just cut about a thirty-foot section out of the tree trunk when the hawks aren't looking.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

I got it. Inexpensive, materials are on hand, easy.

And mebbe I'll spring for a mo'bettah telephoto lens, too!
Scan 1.jpeg
Scan 1.jpeg (149.14 KiB) Viewed 26911 times
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I see nothing wrong here. Go for it! :mrgreen:
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Maybe use nonelastic rope instead of bungee cords? Please?

And if you aren't a Boy Scout or similarly experienced with knots, please find one to either check your lashings or to do them for you.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Hansontoons wrote:I got it. Inexpensive, materials are on hand, easy.

your "detail 'A' " parts, need to be on all FOUR corners/legs of the 12 ft. step ladder, not just the two on the far side of the 20 ft ladder... the reason is that with you standing way up there on the 20 extension ladder, your new center of gravity will be placed to the left of the original cener of gravity, right about the same spot horizontally as the left hand ladder legs, if not even FURTHER over the roof from that attachment point, therefore you will need something to hold DOWN the leg of the ladder that you are climbing up on to prevent IT from lifting UP and YOU from going DOWN... that would be a "less than optimal" outcome to say the least...

on the other hand, IF you have your camera set up to take multiple photos in a row, you COULD get an AWESOME "Dolly Zoom" effect as you are falling off the roof, due to your natural "OMG, I'm Falling ...GRAB ONTO SOMETHING!!! " reflex, you will probably KEEP taking those photos, that is at least, until your noggin bounces off the ground and you finally drop the camera... :shock: :D
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Hmm. Interesting observations by Glytch and scantronb. I evaluated your concerns and determined what I felt was the best solution to the concerns. See revision 1.

lake wrangler is obviously well-studied in the art of make-do and realizes genius when he beholds such.
Scan.jpeg
Scan.jpeg (148.21 KiB) Viewed 26902 times
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

A 'G-6' drone is considerably cheaper than massive reconstructive orthopedic surgery- and you have a better chance of getting your shot as well. Look, I'm just three degrees this side of a rubber room, and what you sketched scares the crap outta me! Do something that keeps your feet on the ground... or inside your home.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

I was also going to suggest a drone, but he may want to avoid spooking the subjects with a whizzing-buzzing-what-the-hell-is-this-ugly-hummingbird.