Fan Art

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: Fan Art

Post by AmriloJim »

Fourth wall? We don't need no steenkin' fourth wall!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dead pool approves
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

shadowinthelight wrote:Sorry about the inside joke.

Bwahahahahaaaaaa!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

In space, no one can hear you squee.

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

:lol: :!: That rattling sound you hear is either my knees knocking, my teeth chattering, or my Giger counter. Possibly all three at once.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote::lol: :!: That rattling sound you hear is either my knees knocking, my teeth chattering, or my Giger counter. Possibly all three at once.
Ig your Giger counter is going off, perhaps you should see HR about a replacement....

Deposits a bomb casing full of used pinball machine parts in the pun jar...
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

shadowinthelight wrote:Image
Guess it's time to pull out the ELP Brain Salad Surgery album, spin up the disk and stare at the cover...
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Hansontoons wrote:ELP Brain Salad Surgery album
RIP Keith Emerson
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...in memory of Mr. Emerson, of course. :(
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

AmriloJim wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:ELP Brain Salad Surgery album
RIP Keith Emerson
Just saw that on a news feed. 2016 has not been a kind year to music types.

Brain Salad Surgery was an "awakening" album for me. A family moved in next door and they had a kid my age. We became friends and one evening while at his place he pulls that LP out and asks had I ever heard it. At the time my music was limited to what my parents had (very little and nothing popular) and what I heard on the radio, not that I listened to much. So of course I had not and he plays it, both sides. The Giger cover art was also amazing. The rest is history. I can easily surmise that had I never heard that album, I wouldn't be reading Wapsi today.

Edit- And maybe the experience made me hungry for or accepting of different things like the "underground" comix (Crumb, Bode, Shelton) another friend in kollege skool shared with me. Which led to Heavy Metal mag (US version, I had issues back to #1 but lost them in a flood) and music other than the popular disco (Bee Gee's) or country (Urban Cowboy) at the time. It's been a long, strange road.
Last edited by Hansontoons on Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sic transit Gloria mundi. :( He will be missed.

It continues to be a bad year for the icons of my youth... makes me feel my age, more than I can recall ever before.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:Sic transit Gloria mundi. :( He will be missed.

It continues to be a bad year for the icons of my youth... makes me feel my age, more than I can recall ever before.
Ditto.

But I still refuse to grow up!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Ok, ya lost me there. How did music as a kid lead you to a webcomic? Was it just an introduction into tech culture mixed with a touch of chaos theory that brought you here?

Flaky Pastry is what brought me to Wapsi square. I think Flaky Pastry was my first webcomic ever. I then started googling madly in a desperate search for MORE WEBCOMICS, because I devoured that archive like it was nothin'. I remember search terms like "big archive" and "good art".

I also used the TVTropes "Archive Binge" page. I did a lot of troping back then... That website introduced me to lots of new things.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Early webcomics were considered "avant garde" back in the '90s. People who wrote & drew for mags like Heavy Metal and Dungeon used the new medium as a way of direct-publishing their art.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Holy crap, I just realized, I topped 2000 posts! :o :shock:

Ahem

Anyway. Huh. I never really thought of webcomics as odd or unusual. It just seemed like a natural progression of the way the Internet was growing.
I didn't know they existed, and when I found out webcomics were a thing, I didn't think "wow, that's weird." I was thinking more along the lines of "How did I not see this coming and how have I not heard of them before now?"

Growing up with the Internet is kinda weird sometimes.
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:I never really thought of webcomics as odd or unusual.
For very many people less than twenty years of age, reading comics that are not online is the unusual thing.

"Funny pages? Newspaper comics? Newspapers? What's all that?"
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I never really thought of webcomics as odd or unusual.
For very many people less than twenty years of age, reading comics that are not online is the unusual thing.

"Funny pages? Newspaper comics? Newspapers? What's all that?"
My son is eleven, and he has been begging for me to buy Girl Genius in Graphic Novel physical form. He says the online is cute, and instantly gratifying, but he wants that "new book smell" you just can't get from the internets. I also used to buy Sundays paper just for him to get the funnies(until my Daddy saved them for him).
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I have my paper collections of The Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes, Asterix, and others, and no particular inclination to be rid of them even if they do take up a big chunk of shelf space.

The last time I looked at the comics page in a local newspaper, though, I was rather depressed by the lack of any apparent humour. I don't know if my tastes have changed, or if the comics just went off in some other direction with their jokes. . .or forgot to include the jokes.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Catawampus wrote: The last time I looked at the comics page in a local newspaper, though, I was rather depressed by the lack of any apparent humour. I don't know if my tastes have changed, or if the comics just went off in some other direction with their jokes. . .or forgot to include the jokes.
Try a smalltown newspaper. Friend of mine runs one in Texas (Hello, Monahans!) and I get home delivery up here north of the Mason-Dixon Line (it's smuggled in). I like the comics in that paper - good simple, humorous stuff. They are much like the comics I grew up with in my hometown paper.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."