That Movie - Yeah - THAT One

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

That Movie - Yeah - THAT One

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

(Written for my APA)

So I Went and Saw It

I went and saw Deadpool. I can say that i am definitely whelmed. Not over- or under- whelmed, you understand - just whelmed.

Way too many of the jokes weren't nearly as funny as the writers and director apparently thought they were.

The bullet-time stuff was overused.

The flashback structure was way too convoluted.

And, let's face it, most of the basic mechanics of the character were done better in The Mask (the comic, not the movie).

I did, for the most part, enjoy it - but, let's just say, the amount of pre-release hype was not justified, and, i think, worked against the film when i finally saw it.

The opening credits were funny - but not as funny as they would have been if i hadn't accidentally hit a spoiler somewhere.

Ryan Reynolds did wonderfully with what he was given - giving the character the right air of manic desperation.

Stan Lee's cameo was one of the better jokes in the film.

Simply from intellectual curiosity* when it comes out on DVD i'm gonna have to check the strip-club sequence to see if they were actually throwing real full frontal at us or if the girls were wearing cleverly-designed and coloured nether garments.

I went in knowing virtually nothing about Deadpool - i had already quit reading the various X-thing titles some time before the character was introduced, and have not had the least urge to go back to them since.

Deadpool is, very much, a product of the Liefeld era and Liefeld's ... for want of a better word ... style, which is, to me, one of the most repulsive and over-indulgent times and styles in the history of comics**.

Yeah, i enjoyed it more than i didn't, but i'd just as soon not have actually paid for a ticket - to me, this is more a Redbox or Netflix film.
Basically, i don't recommend it for anyone who's not a comic reader/fan.

Oh, well.

=====================================

* Prurient interest?  Me?  Noooo!

** Frank Miller, after the brain-eater got him and he began letting his rather twisted misogyny run wild is, of course, worse - especially because he started out in such a promising manner.

=====================================

Of course, there were trailers for several films, a couple of which looked even less like i'd want to buy a ticket to them - of them, i can only recall Sacha Baron Cohen's latest effusion of cinematic flatulence, The Brothers Grimsby...
Oh, yeah! Suicide Squad, which looked even stupider on the big screen than on IMDB on my computer monitor
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
ShneekeyTheLost

Re: That Movie - Yeah - THAT One

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Saw it today, won't spoil anything, just a few things from my perspective:

I avoided all spoilers, so my response was a bit better than FPF's was as a result. Also, I think I got a better view out of it because I knew darn well going into the thing what it was effectively going to be. Don't go to this movie expecting an amazing plot or anything remotely resembling the Avengers. This is about the best well done I've ever seen sophomoric toilet humor be done. If you like Jay and Silent Bob, if you liked American Pie, if you like that sort of farce comedy... AND you like boobies... AND you like blood n gore... you absolutely positively MUST see this movie. Because that's about 90% of it right there.

This is a movie that is R for a reason. In fact, I'm actually surprised they didn't slap an NC-17 on it. Because it *REALLY* should've had an NC-17. Between the blood, the boobies, and the gratuitous on-screen sex... it really deserved one.

It was good for what it was. I enjoyed it because it met my expectations. I knew going in what sort of movie I was going to see. Granted, I wasn't aware at the level of... ahem... gratuity... but I wasn't surprised by it either.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well, I had no intention of seeing this- and I'm the Cinephile in my group, but while I haven't been within 30 miles of a theater much for the last six months, and haven't even seen Star Wars yet (Its TRUE), I still find myself thinking of catching Deadpool on the big screen. During a matinée...

(boobies are life affirming, after all...)

edit- I mean I had no real inclination to go, not before reading these reviews...
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

TazManiac wrote:Well, I had no intention of seeing this- and I'm the Cinephile in my group, but while I haven't been within 30 miles of a theater much for the last six months, and haven't even seen Star Wars yet (Its TRUE), I still find myself thinking of catching Deadpool on the big screen. During a matinée...

(boobies are life affirming, after all...)

edit- I mean I had no real inclination to go, not before reading these reviews...
Ya can't beat boobies! (Well, ya can, but the owners usually don't like it...)
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

"Usually" being a very key word. ;)
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Saw it today, won't spoil anything, just a few things from my perspective:

I avoided all spoilers, so my response was a bit better than FPF's was as a result. Also, I think I got a better view out of it because I knew darn well going into the thing what it was effectively going to be. Don't go to this movie expecting an amazing plot or anything remotely resembling the Avengers. This is about the best well done I've ever seen sophomoric toilet humor be done. If you like Jay and Silent Bob, if you liked American Pie, if you like that sort of farce comedy... AND you like boobies... AND you like blood n gore... you absolutely positively MUST see this movie. Because that's about 90% of it right there.

This is a movie that is R for a reason. In fact, I'm actually surprised they didn't slap an NC-17 on it. Because it *REALLY* should've had an NC-17. Between the blood, the boobies, and the gratuitous on-screen sex... it really deserved one.

It was good for what it was. I enjoyed it because it met my expectations. I knew going in what sort of movie I was going to see. Granted, I wasn't aware at the level of... ahem... gratuity... but I wasn't surprised by it either.
Thanks for the warning... While I was curious before, I certainly won't make the mistake of going, now... Don't care for toilet humor, don't care too much for violence (well, only up to a certain degree, or else I might not be able to watch anything...), and I certainly don't care for gratuity... There's no need for it, it does not enhance the story, as far as I'm concerned. Essentially, it is not my place to see other people naked who are not my wife.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

lake_wrangler wrote:Thanks for the warning... While I was curious before, I certainly won't make the mistake of going, now... Don't care for toilet humor, don't care too much for violence (well, only up to a certain degree, or else I might not be able to watch anything...), and I certainly don't care for gratuity... There's no need for it, it does not enhance the story, as far as I'm concerned. Essentially, it is not my place to see other people naked who are not my wife.
Which is why I posted my review. It's not for everyone. In fact, it's typically several metres beyond where I normally wander. However, when your other half says 'sweetie, you know what would be fun for valentine's day...' you shut up and get the tickets.

As it is, it was pretty much as expected for me. It is good for what it is, however if you prefer something resembling a plot or something to hold your attention other than body parts and less identifiable bits flying around or the female body in all her natural splendor and glory... pass this one up.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Yeah, it still seems like a pass but I'm still elevating it from where I wasn't going, no matter what. Make that 'can't be bothered to express interest'.

Now it's on the 'we have time, what other film can we sneak into while we're here' valuation...