The Emperor had no clothes

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

The Emperor had no clothes

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I anticipate an interesting few hours/days - i just said something uncomplimentary about "Seinfeld" on "The AV Club" comments.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Re: The Emperor had no clothes

Post by Dave »

Is there a modern equivalent to "shave off your beard, change your name, flee overseas, and join the French Foreign Legion under the name of 'Smithers MacDuff' in an attempt to escape the notoriety and hate mail"?

Can't fault your courage and honesty, AFF. I just hope it doesn't mean I have the opportunity to hoist a mug of beer in your memory any time soon :( :o :shock:
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I liked Seinfeld, but it wasn't anything I'd set my VCR for...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:I liked Seinfeld, but it wasn't anything I'd set my VCR for...
I must be sn anomaly. I actively disliked it. Then again, I preferred Sci-Fi to schmaltz.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It was a show about nothing. It had funny moments, but it was also self-referential, wrapped up in itself like a Christmas present.

A lot of the bits are now very dated. Good comedy ages well. Seinfeld didn't.

AFF, stand strong.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

"There is no there there"
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Welp, the Other Side is now represented by people whose only response is playground invective and personal insult.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Welp, the Other Side is now represented by people whose only response is playground invective and personal insult.
Please don't expect me/us to really believe that you find this particularly surprising :?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Yup- had no idea who the AV club was, so I googled it and perused... the majority of commentary I ran across did not impress me.

I shouldn't worry- the bulk of that political mindset does not own firearms or know how to use them properly.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

DinkyInky wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:I liked Seinfeld, but it wasn't anything I'd set my VCR for...
I must be sn anomaly. I actively disliked it. Then again, I preferred Sci-Fi to schmaltz.
I couldn't get interested enough in it to actively dislike it.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Warrl wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
I couldn't get interested enough in it to actively dislike it.
This... I've only watched Seinfeld because it was on the tv in waiting rooms and such. I wasn't impressed. Kramer was sometimes kinda funny.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm reminded a bit of a line from a story whose author I've forgotten (although it might be a Sturgeon story).

"I would never have believed that I could become so annoyed, with someone who bores me as much as you do."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

My wife liked it, I didn't care for it much... it had its (few, very few) moments, but overall, I just didn't like the characters. The last episode represents that well, as we see a string of witnesses for the prosecutor relate how poorly they were treated by the main characters: they (the main cast) are/were self-centered, mean-spirited, self-obsessed. And probably a few more unkind adjectives.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

lake_wrangler wrote:My wife liked it, I didn't care for it much... it had its (few, very few) moments, but overall, I just didn't like the characters. The last episode represents that well, as we see a string of witnesses for the prosecutor relate how poorly they were treated by the main characters: they (the main cast) are/were self-centered, mean-spirited, self-obsessed. And probably a few more unkind adjectives.
Well, that was the joke: They're self-absorbed jerks. I never regularly followed the show, and the early episodes I saw grated on me, how these clowns were way too old to be that immature--till it clicked that that was the joke.

Still have never gone out of my way to see it. I don't hate it, but it's no Duck Soup for me. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.