Work Within the Story Problem 2016-02-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Work Within the Story Problem 2016-02-01

Post by AmriloJim »

Dave

Re: Work Within the Story Problem 2016-02-01

Post by Dave »

Working within the scope of the problem may turn out to be a bit tricky for Nadette.

Her form is so variable that she simply may not understand why you cannot just assume the existence of a spherical chicken of uniform density!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I'm with Nadette on this one. I always found better solutions that were outside the box.
You don't always get points for originality...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Panel Two: Remember Jin's expression when she poked Brandi at the mall?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Panel Two: Remember Jin's expression when she poked Brandi at the mall?
You mean this?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

1 grenade? Really? Are we talking the M-67? The Mills Bomb? A Model 24 steilhandgrenate? The Mk II? They all have different kill radiuses and throwing tendencies, with the Kraut 'potato masher' usually going the farthest. And ONLY ONE? If you cannot run away, pull the pin and shove it in your mouth. Grenades are not as effective as one might think.

Nadette has the right idea, but the wrong execution. A 12 gauge 'howdah' pistol has two shots before you reload... too slow for what your are describing as the issue. Get a submachinegun. Hold at eye level, turned sideways. Start with the magazine side to your left, to the left of the mob. Fire a burst across the mob at eye level until you hit the other side, allowing the barrel climb to move the weapon for you. This you count as 'one'. In equal pacing, count 'two, three' as you turn the weapon the other way and repeat from right to left again counting 'one'. "ONE, two, three, ONE, two, three..." It's called the 'Marine Waltz', it is the perfect way to cut through a crowd, it will not allow the gun to over heat and require very little practice to master... and yes, I know- most of you will never even get the chance to lay a hand on a submachinegun in your lifetime- well, neither will you encounter zombies...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I encounter zombies every day when I walk into work... Most of my co-workers at least say "hello" before ambling off in search of Cofffeeee... cofffeeee....
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:I encounter zombies every day when I walk into work... Most of my co-workers at least say "hello" before ambling off in search of Cofffeeee... cofffeeee....
... perhaps I should re-qualify that...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

Obviously the question is oversimplified. Everyone knows that gravitational pull is actually 9.8 m/s^2, don't they?
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

jwhouk wrote:I encounter zombies every day when I walk into work... Most of my co-workers at least say "hello" before ambling off in search of Cofffeeee... cofffeeee....
Where I work there are a few that wander away in search of tea . . .

I've often said that if the competition wants to shut us down, they just have to figure out how to cut off the coffee supply . . .
Lee M wrote:Obviously the question is oversimplified. Everyone knows that gravitational pull is actually 9.8 m/s^2, don't they?
2% error . . . rounding errors and throwing-strength calibration errors are more significant.

I used to get into arguments with one checker on my design work because he insisted on using the correct density of .096 lb/in3 and I used .1 because it simplified the math . . . when you're talking about a total weight of less than 35 pounds, the difference is inconsequential, especially when the only real limitation is don't exceed 35 pounds for safety and ergonomic limitations . . . nobody will care if it's a little lighter than you said.

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Lee M wrote:Obviously the question is oversimplified. Everyone knows that gravitational pull is actually 9.8 m/s^2, don't they?
Given that the weight of the grenade and relative strength and height of the thrower along with the size of the mob and distance thereof were never brought into the formulary, I doubt the exact vector value given for gravitational pull will make a slipshine's worth of difference in the final calculations- I mean, even the timing of the fuse comes into play here and it was not mentioned either- pull the pin, huck to center mass and run the other way. Let some other egghead measure the splatter patterns and figure out if you did it right. The M-67 has a 4.5 second fuse... more or less... pull the pin, pop the spoon- there will be a loud 'snap'- count off two seconds THEN throw as hard as you can (if you want to be a real pro about it)... but you are just as likely to be using a grenade as you are to be using a submachinegun.

EASY SOLUTION- don't go where there are zombies
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Panel Two: Remember Jin's expression when she poked Brandi at the mall?
You mean this?
Yeah. That.
like.jpg
like.jpg (98.03 KiB) Viewed 8761 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I've always wondered if turning a climbing weapon sideways to do a sweep was feasible. Now I do. Thanks sarge!

Marine Waltz, you say? I prefer the Assassin's Tango.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I love Nadette's take on the problem!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Well, it's one way to try to get kids interested in math.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Hey that answer worked for Indiana Jones. :lol:
FirehawkShadowchild

Post by FirehawkShadowchild »

BLAM ... Headshot ...

Although letting Zombies come this close is dangerous all in itself. Especially with a horde in the immediate area and her making noise so close to herself ...
Not the best solution if you don't want to end up as Zombie-Food(TM) :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:1 grenade? Really? Are we talking the M-67? The Mills Bomb? A Model 24 steilhandgrenate? The Mk II?
In a well equipped zombie-hunting expedition, somebody ought to be packing at least one BLU-82 daisy cutter!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

And while yall stand there trying to figure out the answer for the equation and discussing the finer merits of which weapons to kill a zombie with i am going to do a rapid tactical advance to the rear carrying my nice silent axe and sword. Anyone attempting to pass me will be tripped, don't get between the chubby guy and safety. No need for us all to be zombie chow.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

When the Zombie Apocalypse comes get a bike, or better yet have a bike now and have it ready. http://escapefromzombies.com/a-bicycle-is-the-best/
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.