Good uses for bad wine

Talk about your favorite liquor, ask questions, and share stories all about booze!

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Jabberwonky

Re: Good uses for bad wine

Post by Jabberwonky »

*takes swig from bottle*
*makes face*
This wine tastes like ass...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:*takes swig from bottle*
*makes face*
This wine tastes like ass...
:shock:
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Again:

O_o
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:Again:

O_o
:lol:
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Enjoying right now...
IMG_0953.jpg
IMG_0953.jpg (139.45 KiB) Viewed 22700 times
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

if a kindergarden is a gathering place for children...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Jabberwonky wrote:if a kindergarden is a gathering place for children...

That's why it's pronounced 'who-garden"! :P
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Hansontoons wrote:

Dr. Hoe? :?

Nice radio, btw.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Typeminer wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:

Dr. Hoe? :?

Nice radio, btw.
Seconded. <3<3

--Safyr Drathmir
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Atwater Kent Model 84 radio, vintage 1931. "Rescued" from grandma's attic in Swea City, Iowa. Needs dusting. Would love to get it working. Right now, it just hums. So old, it's forgotten most of the lyrics! :D
IMG_0964.jpg
IMG_0964.jpg (93.28 KiB) Viewed 22650 times
IMG_0965.jpg
IMG_0965.jpg (89.36 KiB) Viewed 22650 times
IMG_0966.jpg
IMG_0966.jpg (97.8 KiB) Viewed 22649 times
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Did you set up the external antenna?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Did you set up the external antenna?
Did so years ago. Friend of the family fiddled with it and managed to get reception though the quality was poor. Nowadays I'm reluctant to plug it in with the condition of the wiring.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Hansontoons wrote:Atwater Kent Model 84 radio, vintage 1931. "Rescued" from grandma's attic in Swea City, Iowa. Needs dusting. Would love to get it working. Right now, it just hums. So old, it's forgotten most of the lyrics! :D
IMG_0964.jpg
IMG_0965.jpg
IMG_0966.jpg
:lol:

*drools*

So pretty!

Grandpa once made me a metal and wooden radio case for my tiny AM transistor radio when I was little. I remembered the lesson fondly, and have threatened on more than one occasion to do it to my Nephews iPod if he didn't listen to my friend. He shrugged and said, "I don't care" until he learned the case would be made of metal, mostly welded shut, then fit with seven different types of micro security screws, the "speaker cloth" covering the metal and a tiny hole just enough for the stylus to fit in...no place to see what he was selecting.

When he saw the 3D mock up I had a friend make, he cared...a lot.

On the other hand, I've teased my son that I'd make a "Console TV box" for his Kindle, with a stylus on a dowel for his "remote control". He has since taken to playing his games on it using the laptop board, and watching his shows on the smart TV downstairs(that his mummy barely knows how to operate).
Speaking of the TV, I've also told everyone that the first time the remote gets misplaced, I'm going to make a metal holder for the remote, with a short Persian weave chain and bolt it to the wall. To change the channels and such, someone will have to get up. The one that lost it will be my new remote.

No, boltcutters won't be able to cut through it the way I make it, with the materials I use.

--Safyr Drathmir
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I knew a guy who had an old radio similar to that that he'd leave playing in his office. I opened it up and put a small battery-powered radio inside, playing on the same station as the big radio. When he turned off the radio, he was really confused when it kept playing. He was even more surprised when it kept going when it was unplugged. When he showed it to me, I told him that a lot of older radios are actually steam-powered, and it was probably just that the boiler was still hot and would take a little while to cool down and stop playing music.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Catawampus wrote:I knew a guy who had an old radio similar to that that he'd leave playing in his office. I opened it up and put a small battery-powered radio inside, playing on the same station as the big radio. When he turned off the radio, he was really confused when it kept playing. He was even more surprised when it kept going when it was unplugged. When he showed it to me, I told him that a lot of older radios are actually steam-powered, and it was probably just that the boiler was still hot and would take a little while to cool down and stop playing music.
Brilliant!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Catawampus wrote:I knew a guy who had an old radio similar to that that he'd leave playing in his office. I opened it up and put a small battery-powered radio inside, playing on the same station as the big radio. When he turned off the radio, he was really confused when it kept playing. He was even more surprised when it kept going when it was unplugged. When he showed it to me, I told him that a lot of older radios are actually steam-powered, and it was probably just that the boiler was still hot and would take a little while to cool down and stop playing music.
*snickergiggle*

--Safyr Drathmir
Dacquoise11

Post by Dacquoise11 »

If I were in your position, I would use the icky wine for slug bait. The slugs in my area looooove it when I set out a saucer of beer, wine, juice, etc in the garden. Anything like that is truly like manna for the slugs! They really go for it, they will crawl right in. Then first thing in the morning I toss the contents of the saucer in the hedgerow, away from my garden. A few hungry slugs can really decimate your garden, literally overnight. I prefer this method by far over poisons, I don't want to eat poison and neither do the bees, butterflies, hummingbirds, etc.
Some day in six inches of
Ashes will be all
That's left of our passionate
minds,
Of all the world created
By our love, its origin,
And passing away. -Marichiko
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Dacquoise11 wrote:If I were in your position, I would use the icky wine for slug bait. The slugs in my area looooove it when I set out a saucer of beer, wine, juice, etc in the garden. Anything like that is truly like manna for the slugs! They really go for it, they will crawl right in. Then first thing in the morning I toss the contents of the saucer in the hedgerow, away from my garden. A few hungry slugs can really decimate your garden, literally overnight. I prefer this method by far over poisons, I don't want to eat poison and neither do the bees, butterflies, hummingbirds, etc.
Salt is not poison and will work perfectly well as a barrier. Also, orange peels. Your method works as well.
Dave

Post by Dave »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Salt is not poison and will work perfectly well as a barrier.
Depends on your definition, I guess. Salt is tough on plants... it makes it harder for them to pull water from the soil and stunts their growth. "Salting the earth" used to be a popular conqueror's trick for dealing with an enemy... plow salt into their fields and thus destroy their agricultural base, pretty much permanently.

I wouldn't use salt as a slug barrier in gardens unless I had no other choice... certainly not in low-rain areas like northern California where it might not be washed out of the soil in my lifetime.
Dacquoise11

Post by Dacquoise11 »

The orange peel idea works too, I have used it. I have been told slugs also avoid copper and that a person can wind thin copper sheeting or copper tape material around items they don't want chomped. I have never tried this. I recall distinctly dropping pinches of salt directly on the slugs as a child and what happens after! I'm sure most slugs would avoid a salt barrier once they notice the result, but I need to utilize every square inch of garden space
Some day in six inches of
Ashes will be all
That's left of our passionate
minds,
Of all the world created
By our love, its origin,
And passing away. -Marichiko