All Sorts of Music 2016-01-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
sheik

Re: All Sorts of Music 2016-01-19 (STRIP 3,200!!!)

Post by sheik »

shadowinthelight wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:The only good thing to come out of that era was olivia newton john and xanadu
What about disco balls? Those are pretty nifty.
Except that the "disco ball" dates from at least the 1920's and may even have been in Paris and/or Vienna in the 1890's.
"History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme."
jayessell

Re: All Sorts of Music 2016-01-19

Post by jayessell »

We see the dialog say "non-paras", but they probably said something
equivalent to "muggles".

Do the paras plan on ever 'coming out'?
(Don't know how that would work. Was that mentioned in the
Harry Potter books as to why that would be unwise?)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:The only good thing to come out of that era was olivia newton john and xanadu
"Disco Balls" go back to the Roaring 20s, at least.

=============

SHould have read the whole thread before i posted...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Opus the Poet wrote:What about Donna Summer? Philistines... :ugeek: :x
Donna Summer, who said Bad Things about a major proportion of her audience and dynamited her career.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jayessell wrote:We see the dialog say "non-paras", but they probably said something
equivalent to "muggles".

Humans have a pretty gnarly xenophobic streak. They also can breed like Weasley rabbits and have access to world-breaking bombs that eternally poison the surrounding countryside.

It is generally unwise to poke humans with a stick.

Oh, dear, did I forget to say "we" again?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

When reading this page a second time, the thought that popped into my head was "And let us not forget about Shakespeare in the original Russian... or was it Klingon?".
michaelbirks

Post by michaelbirks »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
"Disco Balls" go back to the Roaring 20s, at least.

=============

SHould have read the whole thread before i posted...
Odd thought - given the synchronicity of the Wapsi-verse (nothing is ever a coincidence) are disco balls leakage across the Calendar repeats from one of Brandi's previous attempts?
michaelbirks

Post by michaelbirks »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Humans have a pretty gnarly xenophobic streak. They also can breed like Weasley rabbits and have access to world-breaking bombs that eternally poison the surrounding countryside.

a) Ahem. Chimera.
b) "It is generally unwise to poke humans with a stick." _really_ sounds like it should be part of the Hitchiker's Guide entries on both "Earth" and the more general one on "Humanity". See also the ALT text on http://xkcd.com/556/.
Last edited by michaelbirks on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
michaelbirks

Post by michaelbirks »

jayessell wrote:We see the dialog say "non-paras", but they probably said something
equivalent to "muggles".

A general failure of the World Grid? Paras coming out to stand between the World and what it was being protected from?

Actually, IICR some of the family connections, that would be... fraught.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

FreeFlier wrote:There are worse things than disco . . .

--FreeFlier
UK revival skiffle....most of it made the buskers in the Underground sound good.

Play the same six songs over and over and over again...andthe lack of musicianship is known as "authenticity"....

*twitch*
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
eee

Post by eee »

So Otter's just a nickname, not her last name? Too bad. Devyn Otter DOES have a certain ring to it...
michaelbirks wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:

a) Ahem. Chimera.
b) "It is generally unwise to poke humans with a stick." _really_ sounds like it should be part of the Hitchiker's Guide entries on both "Earth" and the more general one on "Humanity". See also the ALT text on http://xkcd.com/556/.
A) With Jin's reboot, I don't think the original Chimera is an option anymore. Anyone trying to create a new Chimera, even if they could somehow find out how to do it, would have some of the most powerful beings on the planet after their blood the moment they learned about it.

And that 'most powerful beings on the planet' bit also points out that while humans have numbers and technology, the paras have power and magic. It is best that conflict be avoided...

B) The Guide would probably add "but can be very entertaining, in a destructive sort of way".
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"New" Country isn't much better than Disco at times.

It doesn't surprise me that techno and tribal music is something that would come out of Lanthian culture.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

jwhouk wrote:"New" Country isn't much better than Disco at times.
Which is why i listen to some old country, rather more alt.country and NO current Nashville stuff.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Well, there are these two ladies that I do listen to, but the one has distanced herself from country for some time now - and the other is for more... personal reasons.

This still doesn't explain why we're in Minneapolis and there's never been a Prince reference in the strip - besides the fact that Pablo is probably worried The Purple One would sue the pants off of him for referring to him in any way...
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:This still doesn't explain why we're in Minneapolis and there's never been a Prince reference in the strip - besides the fact that Pablo is probably worried The Purple One would sue the pants off of him for referring to him in any way...
He just enjoys giving you the opportunity to sing the (obvious) wistful tune, Joe.

(grins, ducks, runs)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...Dave, your pun attempt went wide right.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

jwhouk wrote:This still doesn't explain why we're in Minneapolis and there's never been a Prince reference in the strip - besides the fact that Pablo is probably worried The Purple One would sue the pants off of him for referring to him in any way...
Maybe he's missed this one..

(Art of Noise)

(And I have that Gary Numan ablum in vinyl...)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote:
He just enjoys giving you the opportunity to sing the (obvious) wistful tune, Joe.

(grins, ducks, runs)
Or he feels about the artist formerly known as_____ like I feel about Kobain . . .

--FreeFlier
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

FreeFlier wrote:
Dave wrote:

(grins, ducks, runs)
Or he feels about the artist formerly known as_____ like I feel about Kobain . . .

--FreeFlier
Well, yeah, but while there’s no accounting for taste- Dude is both prolific enough and able to play at least 75% of all the common instruments (I don't think he blows brass or reeds...), so that all you gotta due is root around enough and you'll find something you like.

It might have to be covered by yourself or another artist to make it palatable to any given partaker of the musical arts, but dude is pretty cornucopia like...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Thing is, he is very very protective - to the point of severity - about his work. You can't even think about putting up a YT cover of one of his songs without him putting in a challenge of copyright infringement.