More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: More Stuff

Post by lake_wrangler »

Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Yeah, that guy is a hoot. Makes me wish I'd followed up on my desire to play the pipes...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

My sister was in one of those pipes and drums and baton-twirling outfits as a kid. The part you play the melody on is much like a recorder, but keeping enough air in the bag to run the drone pipes is a real trick. The kids had one or more of them plugged to make it manageable.

She wasn't a great piper, but could play recognizable tunes. I think she'd have become a real champ on the pennywhistle if rheumatoid arthritis hadn't destroyed her hands.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Typeminer wrote:My sister was in one of those pipes and drums and baton-twirling outfits as a kid. The part you play the melody on is much like a recorder, but keeping enough air in the bag to run the drone pipes is a real trick. The kids had one or more of them plugged to make it manageable.

She wasn't a great piper, but could play recognizable tunes. I think she'd have become a real champ on the pennywhistle if rheumatoid arthritis hadn't destroyed her hands.
She played a Scottish great pipe, didn't she? I can't stand those. They sound like someone is torturing a cat to death.

The Northumbrian smallpipe and Ireland's uilleann pipe are rather a different matter. A lot of people would also find them physically easier to play because they use bellows rather than a mouth-tube.
Last edited by Warrl on Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Heinlein describes poorly played battle pipes as looking and sounding like someone with a cat under his arm, biting it tail.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Mountain Dew flavored Cheetos. :shock:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

shadowinthelight wrote: EDIT: Image
Mountain Dew flavored Cheetos. :shock:
I can't say I wouldn't try them. But I'd want to try two or three before committing to a whole package...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

The Japanese are very amusing with American junk food. I once took my brother, my sister, and all of her friends I could legally pack into my Grand Am(six seatbelts in back...yes I did 8-) ), we went to Mitsuwa in Arlington Heights(it was not called that then, but I wanted those that live near that are interested in insane shit the Japanese make up to find it).

Each of us bought four "Japanese takes on American foods" items we thought were weird or neat, and then did the rest of our shopping.

When we got back, each person pulled eight each of those items and set them on the table, making eight piles. Once everyone had them, we each opened them at the same time, watching faves.

Internet was still primitive when my sister was learning to drive, and Youtube not even a thought. If my brother still has the teeny cassette, there is video my Mother took of us crazy nerds trying it.

I think the most insane thing from that trip were the chicken mc nugget happy meal gummies. Not awesome like the Spongebob Krabby Patties ones(which is the only time Spongebob and awesome ever will come out of my mouth in the same sentence), but they tasted like french fries, chicken, I have to admit the chocolate milk one was decent, and the cookie one. Even a ridiculous kids meal toy dangle we all kept as survivors... :P

I like the royal milk tea kit kats and Green Tea Twix. :D Crazy roast coffee candy too...before my Mother stole it.
She used to pay me to take my siblings out to the Asian markets to buy the staples and candies(convincing people to drive her into Chicago when she could drive was near impossible). Her favourites though, were Korean Melon, Plum, and Peach drops.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
AnotherFairportfan

Jelly Belly jellybeans come in crazed flavours too - the "buttered popcorn" ones are amazingly close, the "Dr Pepper" ones are perfect (except there's no carbonatiojn) and the "pear" ones are not only perfect as to taste, but even have that slightly gritty sensation real pears have.

As to the Mountain Dew Cheetos - since i do not willingly ingest either of those things individually...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Yeah, but Jelly Belly's are homegrown, and purposely quirky, like it's history.

I have friends and family with diverticulitis who I buy the buttered popcorn ones. I had to have a discussion with the management of IMAX once about them complaining about his jellybeans.

If three others get the largest popcorn, and all four get the largest drinks, they are not losing anything on his lack of popcorn...which he medically could not eat. He loved popcorn at the movies, so this broke him if the habit of buying some, then going to the ER the next day.

Management more or less said if most of them in a group bought concessions, ignore the one or two with bootleg treats.

He never got bothered at the movies about his jelly belly's again, even when going solo. He always bought a huge drink.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I got a new book. Hell's Foundations Quiver, by David Weber.

*sniffs at pages*. I like getting new books. :D

Also, not only did my dad give me the money for last month's car payment, he gave me enough so that I could make this month's insurance as well.

Now, if my damn boss would call me, so I can at least get paid for the only day I've worked this year, I'll be able to male this month's phone bill.

But I'm still boned when it comes to this month's car payment.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote:I got a new book. Hell's Foundations Quiver, by David Weber.
Heh. Despite the fact that he's my brother, i am just now catching up on his "Safehold" books - i've been plowing straight ahead through them and i'm just about halfway through the one before that (whose title has just slipped my mind).

Since they're from a different publisher, where i don't know anyone, they sort of kept evading my attention. (Well, i tell a sort-of lie; i do somewhat know his editor there, but not so well as i know some of the Baen crew.)
Leak

Post by Leak »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Heh. Despite the fact that he's my brother, i am just now catching up on his "Safehold" books - i've been plowing straight ahead through them and i'm just about halfway through the one before that (whose title has just slipped my mind).
And here I thought the situation between you two was something like this... :D
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Leak wrote:
His gallery is as bad as a wiki walk...so much pretty artwork.

--Safyr Drathmir
AnotherFairportfan

Leak wrote:
Nah. I've been known to rate one of his books as low as three stars...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

So... I'll be getting a call Monday from an invention company about a product idea I had rattling around my head for a couple years. Supposedly, if it gets picked up by a manufacturer, I retain complete ownership.

I don't want to go into detail too much, but it's easily described as stoner daycare.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Alkarii wrote:So... I'll be getting a call Monday from an invention company about a product idea I had rattling around my head for a couple years. Supposedly, if it gets picked up by a manufacturer, I retain complete ownership.

I don't want to go into detail too much, but it's easily described as stoner daycare.
Crossing fingers and sending some good vibes through the ether...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Ether? I don't want to get high off of ether!

Speaking of ether, my brother has a tattoo of Curious George, passed out next to a jar of ether. It was in one of the books.
Leak

Post by Leak »

DinkyInky wrote:
Leak wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Heh. Despite the fact that he's my brother, i am just now catching up on his "Safehold" books - i've been plowing straight ahead through them and i'm just about halfway through the one before that (whose title has just slipped my mind).
His gallery is as bad as a wiki walk...so much pretty artwork.
Well, make sure to take a look into the Death Vigil folder and grab the PDFs for issues 1 to 8 - if you like paranormal stories (considering which forum I'm posting this in I assume that's a yes), epic battles and some lighthearted fun in between you can't go wrong with it.

I'd just recommend buying the trade paperback (or it's digital version, with much better resolution than the DA ones) if you like it as the sales of the single issues were pretty meh (even though the reviews for them were constantly great) and Stjepan almost considered not continuing the story because the trade also didn't sell too well (putting the PDFs on DeviantArt was kind of a last attempt to get more people interested in the series), especially compared to a certain other comic series he's currently doing... :|

(EDIT: of course, since FPF wrote about his brother's books earlier I should probably also mention that his wife Linda Sejic is currently drawing a Honor Harrington series...)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I know of that guy! He created Sunstone.

I got books 1 - 3 of that. Hilarious stuff.