The Day the Music Died

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Hansontoons

Re: The Day the Music Died

Post by Hansontoons »

AmriloJim wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:I usually mark the passing of even favored musical and acting talents with just a modicum of sadness. But I have really been feeling down over Mr. Bowie's passing. He's one of the ones I'll really miss.
Take comfort in that David knew the end was nigh, managed to be productive to the very end (and happy, judging by his birthday photo shoot) and shuffled off this mortal coil on his own terms. To that end i echo, "Well played, sirrah, well played."
Yes, not a word, not a peep about his condition while he finishes Blackstar, unless I missed mention of it. I knew he had not been looking well, but I put that down to age and hard living. My experience with his music was initially what was on the radio, stuff like "Rebel, rebel" or "Suffragette City". Then when I went off to Skool I was exposed to "Low" from a friends record pile. Then I bought "Heroes" and later he picked up "Lodger". Next was "Scary Monsters". After that my interest waned as his style evolved. We all have to go at some point, and I second AmriloJim's sentiment.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

On the "Misfile" board, one of the regulars who lives in England says she was aware of the cancer.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

AmriloJim wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:I usually mark the passing of even favored musical and acting talents with just a modicum of sadness. But I have really been feeling down over Mr. Bowie's passing. He's one of the ones I'll really miss.
Take comfort in that David knew the end was nigh, managed to be productive to the very end (and happy, judging by his birthday photo shoot) and shuffled off this mortal coil on his own terms. To that end i echo, "Well played, sirrah, well played."
Hear hear! It's obvious with the content and the timing that he was fully aware and seemed to be at peace with it.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

DinkyInky wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Mine will be when Sir Paul passes.

Goodbye Ziggy Stardust.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't even wanna think about that.
I've already told the people in my office that I'll be taking a personal day when that happens. :( That one will hurt worse.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Julie wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:

Goodbye Ziggy Stardust.

I've already told the people in my office that I'll be taking a personal day when that happens. :( That one will hurt worse.
Either Sir Paul or his remaining co-hort Ringo
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:

Goodbye Ziggy Stardust.

Sgt. Howard wrote:Either Sir Paul or his remaining co-hort Ringo
I was quite young...only seven when John was murdered. Growing up surrounded with music, it crushed me that someone could do that to a musician of that caliber, much less any human being.
Several times during my school career(after I left the hell hole), various teachers and principals played "Imagine" on the anniversary of his death.

Harrison's passing hit hard too.

That we feel so strongly at their passing is a reflection on the power music has, and why it is so important to nurture it wherever it's heard, felt, seen.

David Bowie, Queen, The Who...these musicians formed my teenaged years. I cried myself silly in school when Freddie Mercury lost his fight(and assisted in the fight against the ruddy school system for trying to deny us our Queen filled exit from high school for stupid ass reasons) and will be utterly crushed when it's Roger Daltrey's turn(he had a close call last year).

I shudder for today's youth when all the rock God's have gone...and what if anything shall remain to fill the void.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

DinkyInky wrote:I shudder for today's youth when all the rock Gods have gone...and what if anything shall remain to fill the void.
Someone will pick it up for them. Every generation goes through this.

My parents were 30 and 34 in 1963--and they hated the Beatles. Thought music was dead. Never got rock and roll at all. My mother warned us that Procul Harum fans would take their lumps someday, when something even worse came along. Now all those Lennon and McCartney songs are standards, and Whiter Shade of Pale is rumored to be the most-played jukebox selection of all time.

All the old folks interviewed by the local papers would complain about how big band orchestras used to play music, but these modern kids with electric guitars just made noise. The kinder ones always said they felt bad for the kids, because how would they ever have any romantic memories of something like Hard Day's Night?

Nirvana never did much for me, but I understand the hurt for Kurt Cobain's fans. We've been there too many times.

There will be plenty of great music. We just might not like it a whole lot. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

People latch onto the artists who have an understanding of what their life is like. If I ever have kids, I won't expect them to be moved by songs like Slipknot's "Snuff," Stone Sour's "Bother," or Five Finger Death Punch's "Wrong Side of Heaven."

(Watch the video for the last one by yourself if you're concerned about people seeing you cry. It's a great video, but the content is sad.)

Most upbeat music never struck a chord with me (no pun intended).

My generation's idols are people like Corey Taylor (Slipknot/Stone Sour), Ivan Moody (Five Finger Death Punch), and Jonathan Davis (Korn). It's not so much their styles as it is their lyrical content, although the emotion they put into their music resonates a lot with their fans. That's probably true of each generation's idols, though.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'm a generation behind. I like stuff as old as the Beatles, and I especially enjoy stuff similar to AC/DC, Ozzy, old Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Def Leppard, Rush... Basically anything that's called "Classic Rock". Most newer rock doesn't really do anything for me. I sort of skip over new rock, hip-hop, pop, rap... And then I land in Dubstep, house, drum n' bass, and a bit of trance.

The only country I listen to without complaining vociferously is Jonny Cash... Though I did stumble upon "Mr. Shorty" by Marty Robbins a while ago. That one is alright.

Anyway... Most of my music heroes are dead, many of them were dead before I heard of them, and some were dead before I was born.

I carry their music onwards. It's the listeners who keep the music alive, who grant the musicians immortality, through memory.

As for the whole "music" vs "noise" thing... That's what's happening between people who grew up with classic rock and people who are growing up with Dubstep.

I see them both as music... They are wildly different, but both are music.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Julie

Post by Julie »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
Julie wrote:

Erm...I kind of feel bad saying this, but Ringo's passing won't really hurt so much as it will be noteworthy. I'll give him a moment of silence for his involvement with The Beatles, but I won't shed a tear. Paul's death, on the other hand, will probably leave me curled up in my bed sobbing.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
Julie wrote:

Julie wrote:Erm...I kind of feel bad saying this, but Ringo's passing won't really hurt so much as it will be noteworthy. I'll give him a moment of silence for his involvement with The Beatles, but I won't shed a tear. Paul's death, on the other hand, will probably leave me curled up in my bed sobbing.
I like Ringo. His son drums for The Who currently. I love his quirkiness, a fave ever since watching, "Help!" He seemed more normal. I love Paul's music, and it will totally wreck me, but Ringo seemed...like that guy you met at the pub, friendly...hard working...real.
Like you walking in, and there's some punk sitting in his chair, hear the news, and you realise you're never going to get to pay him back those two bits he spotted you, nor hear the rest of that story about his Gran 'da and the spanner.

I used to frequent a few Irish pubs. The above situation actually happened to me at one.

Pádraig's two dollar coins still sit in a shotglass on the top of the bar shelves...at least since I last was there in 2003. I heard it still is.

So yeah, I'll cry a bit for Ringo.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AmriloJim wrote:Sad week for music... Cooley, Lemmy, and now Ziggy...

Sir, who is/was Lemmy?
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:

Sir, who is/was Lemmy?
Motorhead frontman.

--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Julie wrote: Erm...I kind of feel bad saying this, but Ringo's passing won't really hurt so much as it will be noteworthy. I'll give him a moment of silence for his involvement with The Beatles, but I won't shed a tear. Paul's death, on the other hand, will probably leave me curled up in my bed sobbing.
This, so much this.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

DinkyInky wrote:
TazManiac wrote:
Sir, who is/was Lemmy?
Motorhead frontman.
Thank you, D.

This could go in the "Fire Drink" thread as easily... FOOD & BEVERAGE MAGAZINE Renames Jack And Coke In LEMMY's Honor
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

AmriloJim wrote:...This could go in the "Fire Drink" thread as easily... FOOD & BEVERAGE MAGAZINE Renames Jack And Coke In LEMMY's Honor
Love it...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Yes.

--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Just too much.

Even though I keep up on the music scene (Glytch and I had a conversation on dubstep not too long ago) I misted up when I heard about Bowie. I
I remember running across the Ziggy album, going "whaaaa" and the playing it...and again...and again.

For me it's going to be when Justin Hayward is no longer with us. The Moody Blues was a big part of the backdrop of ny youth. "Forever Autumn" still puts a lump in my throat.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Just Old Al wrote:Just too much.

Even though I keep up on the music scene (Glytch and I had a conversation on dubstep not too long ago) I misted up when I heard about Bowie. I
I remember running across the Ziggy album, going "whaaaa" and the playing it...and again...and again.

For me it's going to be when Justin Hayward is no longer with us. The Moody Blues was a big part of the backdrop of ny youth. "Forever Autumn" still puts a lump in my throat.
The Moody Blues...Days of Future Passed. My dad gave me that album as a kid. Hauntingly beautiful. I agree Al. So many glories.

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DinkyInky wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:Just too much.

The Moody Blues...Days of Future Passed. My dad gave me that album as a kid. Hauntingly beautiful. I agree Al. So many glories.
I got that album as a Christmas gift, so good...
I'mma have to look it up and give another listen...