Fire drink?

Talk about your favorite liquor, ask questions, and share stories all about booze!

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Julie

Re: Fire drink?

Post by Julie »

Ooo...I might need to try that!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Fire drink...kids, don't try this at home...seriously.

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:Ooo...I might need to try that!
Check the sweet fire post he made.

BTW, for any newcomers, the fire drink listed on page one(Gibil's Scorn) is fictional, created for a fire character, cobbled together from my very real personal collection of herbal infused high proof moonshines, rums, vodkas, and such.

In real life, it's meant to be used as a tincture, to be dispensed by drop into a 32 ounce glass of water...as in one drop of each into said glass drank before bed.

Dave:

Sadly, I have not been able to find another source of that strain of naga jolokia since moving, so I cannot make that chili rum again for a while.

I used a hand made glass "smidgen" spoon to dispense it into my personal chili pot. Have to goto another ren faire to get one, because I apparently either lost or broke mine.

If I ever gather the peppers again, I'll see about getting a concrete measurement of what I used so you too can own "flaming death in a bottle".
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Re: Fire drink...kids, don't try this at home...seriously.

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:Sadly, I have not been able to find another source of that strain of naga jolokia since moving, so I cannot make that chili rum again for a while.

I used a hand made glass "smidgen" spoon to dispense it into my personal chili pot. Have to goto another ren faire to get one, because I apparently either lost or broke mine.

If I ever gather the peppers again, I'll see about getting a concrete measurement of what I used so you too can own "flaming death in a bottle".
Would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Years ago, I made a big jar of picked red manzano peppers, from a plant I was raising in my backyard. Ran out a long time ago, and the plant hadn't survived one bad winter, so I was very pleased to see a cartoon of yellow manzano peppers in my local produce market last week... it's the first time I've ever seen them in a store.

I diced up a dozen of them, saving out the seeds for possible planting this spring, poured on enough cider vinegar to cover, heated to a simmer, then let them cool and put them in a jar in the fridge.

Yum, yum, yum! Such a wonderful flavor. Not super-hot... cooking manzanos in vinegar is a traditional way to tone down their heat before stuffing then... but enough of a kick to be useful.

I'm sorry I waited this long before making a new batch.
DinkyInky

Re: Fire drink...kids, don't try this at home...seriously.

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:I was very pleased to see a cartoon of yellow manzano peppers in my local produce market last week... it's the first time I've ever seen them in a store.
Must be real colourful characters. Were they dancing?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:Is that a list of individual drinks or a recipe for a mix?
We can make it into a mixed drink and call it the Dinky's Despair.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Is that a list of individual drinks or a recipe for a mix?
We can make it into a mixed drink and call it the Dinky's Despair.
See Dave's post afterwards regarding (That loud "Aaugh! Yuck! Blasphemy!!" )

Never, ever put me in the same sentence with use of an elegant single malt in a mixer. That is blasphemy. :P

Single malt is for savouring.

Anyway, I already made that drink:

Safyr's Fear and Despair

Absinthe

Hot Damn 100

Jagermeister

Coat rim of double shot glass with simple syrup, then press into bed of sugar to coat.

Jagermeister, then layer Hot Damn 100 with spoon, then layer Black Absinthe on top.

Slam it back, and fear me while you despair ever removing that taste from your memory.

Oh, and if you value sanity, do not have anything else to drink that night. That shot is very high proof.

--Safyr Drathmir
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

DinkyInky wrote:Never, ever put me in the same sentence with use of an elegant single malt in a mixer. That is blasphemy. :P
I knew a Saudi prince who drank forty-year-old Glenfiddich in Diet Coke. You two would probably get along famously at a bar.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

*long, exasperated sigh*

Hold on a sec, Dinky. Let me get my trusty steel pipe, we can take care of him together.

I don't drink, and even I know that is an atrocity that must be stopped.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:*long, exasperated sigh*

Hold on a sec, Dinky. Let me get my trusty steel pipe, we can take care of him together.

I mean, Diet Coke? That's just terribly bad taste, no question.

To be fair, though, I suspect that he was doing so 90% as just a display of ostentation. "Look at how casually I'm drinking $100 a bottle booze!!!"
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:*long, exasperated sigh*

I mean, Diet Coke? That's just terribly bad taste, no question.

To be fair, though, I suspect that he was doing so 90% as just a display of ostentation. "Look at how casually I'm drinking $100 a bottle booze!!!"
That is just poor taste.

I drink a $250 a bottle of single malt ostentatiously...

Went out to a fancy dinner with my then boyfriend. Bought me clothes, shoes, manicure, bottle of booze.

Informed him I knew about his side dish.

Then I decked him and broke up, taking his keys and dropping them in the fountain.

Wrapped up the scotch...

Walked home.

Sat on the grass, wearing a rather expensive red dress slit up to the thigh, fancy high heeled shoes casually sunk deep in the soft lawn, ropes of pearls dangling down my neck, hair mussed up, and barefoot.

Drank that scotch out of a crystal goblet. Brothers buddy came by and asked if he knew why I was sitting outside all dressed up drinking one of the priciest scotches on the planet. My brother shrugged, and his buddy came out to ask.

"Because I can."

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

*high five!*

I wonder if there's a non-alcoholic drink that qualifies for ostentatious drinking...
I'm too much!
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

GlytchMeister wrote:*high five!*

I wonder if there's a non-alcoholic drink that qualifies for ostentatious drinking...
Ostentation is not necessarily about expense so much as the frivolity of it. "Because I can", to quote Dinky.

It is not caring if it is a multi-thousand dollar bottle of triple-sec Italian champagne, you needed something bubbly for your drink, and it was closer than the sprite.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:*high five!*

Ostentation is not necessarily about expense so much as the frivolity of it. "Because I can", to quote Dinky.

It is not caring if it is a multi-thousand dollar bottle of triple-sec Italian champagne, you needed something bubbly for your drink, and it was closer than the sprite.
This. Though mine was situational comedy.

{Also, though at the time I was rather pissed in both meanings of the word. I can really laugh about it now looking back on it.

My brothers friend did get a drink of that, because he high-fived me(Just like Glytch) after the comment...and did not pry for reasons.}

Another example is getting Fugu, and asking for kool-aid to drink with your death wish.

About the diet coke, I have met Very obscenely rich people over the years too chicken to try higher priced scotch without a mixer. They are unaware of the difference between $20 rotgut, and $250 silky smooth, peaty warmth. So they tip a bit of cheap pop in to cover up ignorance.

I've convinced several high profile pubs and bars and clubs over the years to host tasting events.

It seems like paying $150-200 a piece for tix is a lot, but when dinner, tasting, and transport home is included, it is actually cheaper than a semi-high priced dinner date.

--Safyr Drathmir
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

I can see adding a splash of water, maybe even seltzer, to a good scotch, to dilute it a bit without changing the flavor. But mixing it? Save the money and stick with Dewar's White Label or similar.

My dad used to say that anybody who would fry a steak, you might as well shoot them and put them out of their misery. Same principle.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Typeminer wrote:I can see adding a splash of water, maybe even seltzer, to a good scotch, to dilute it a bit without changing the flavor. But mixing it? Save the money and stick with Dewar's White Label or similar.

My dad used to say that anybody who would fry a steak, you might as well shoot them and put them out of their misery. Same principle.
Put it on the rocks. Gesture with it a bit. Let some of the alcohol evaporate and for some of the ice to melt to dilute it a bit.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
Typeminer wrote:I can see adding a splash of water, maybe even seltzer, to a good scotch, to dilute it a bit without changing the flavor. But mixing it? Save the money and stick with Dewar's White Label or similar.

Put it on the rocks. Gesture with it a bit. Let some of the alcohol evaporate and for some of the ice to melt to dilute it a bit.
This.

--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

Typeminer wrote:My dad used to say that anybody who would fry a steak, you might as well shoot them and put them out of their misery. Same principle.
I don't think you can make a proper Philly cheese steak without frying/grilling... and trust me, there is no misery involved at all in one of those (except for the fumes of the frying onions).

I agree with your point about good Scotch, though.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:
Typeminer wrote:My dad used to say that anybody who would fry a steak, you might as well shoot them and put them out of their misery. Same principle.
I don't think you can make a proper Philly cheese steak without frying/grilling... and trust me, there is no misery involved at all in one of those (except for the fumes of the frying onions).

Most Texans I know would not call Philly Cheese Steak a Steak. They just call it beef.

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

DinkyInky wrote:
Dave wrote:

Most Texans I know would not call Philly Cheese Steak a Steak. They just call it beef.
*fistbump*

"Thinly-sliced steak" is an oxymoron. Each negates the other. That's my story an' I'm stickin' to it.
I'm too much!
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Yup! A Philly is not steak... it is good, but it's not steak.
Chicken-fried steak is almost not steak, but it's much closer than a Philly.
We also pray for those who prefer medium-well or worse to see the error of their ways.