Spaghetti Western

Talk about your favorite liquor, ask questions, and share stories all about booze!

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Gyrrakavian

Spaghetti Western

Post by Gyrrakavian »

If you can think of a better name, I'd be more than happy to hear it. Anyways, here's the recipe.

½ shot glass of sarsaparilla (any brand, Frostop or Sprecher's recommended)
½ shot glass of Root 100

If you don't like Jäegermeister, you probably won't like this. Or sarsaparilla for that matter. Frostop can be bought in stores in supermarkets and convenience stores in California, Iowa, Idaho, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, Washington, and Wisconsin. In Kansas, it's sold in Atwoods (a farm and ranch supply store).
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
DinkyInky

Re: Spaghetti Western

Post by DinkyInky »

Never found it in NWI.

Now Sarsaparilla I love. Jagermeister, I hate.

Sioux City is everywhere. My son prefers Boylan's Birch Beer to Sarsaparilla, and it's lovely.

I was in down in Bloomington, and they had both your brands listed in a touristy campus store, along with Bluebell Ice Cream(which is too buttery for me if they use the very creamy base vanilla).

I prefer Valpo Velvet, but then again I used to sneak out and walk...just a few miles to the scoop shoppe. If I managed it without my parents catching me, my allowance became ice for the cooler and ice cream desserts for family at home. They balked at me walking nearly eight miles for ice cream.

Speaking of root 100, take a shot of that, some simple syrup, some soda water, and a double scoop of vanilla in a frosty mug for a great float for the growed ups, pardner.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

DinkyInky wrote:Never found it in NWI.

Sioux City is everywhere. My son prefers Boylan's Birch Beer to Sarsaparilla, and it's lovely.

I was in down in Bloomington, and they had both your brands listed in a touristy campus store, along with Bluebell Ice Cream(which is too buttery for me if they use the very creamy base vanilla).

I prefer Valpo Velvet, but then again I used to sneak out and walk...just a few miles to the scoop shoppe. If I managed it without my parents catching me, my allowance became ice for the cooler and ice cream desserts for family at home. They balked at me walking nearly eight miles for ice cream.

Speaking of root 100, take a shot of that, some simple syrup, some soda water, and a double scoop of vanilla in a frosty mug for a great float for the growed ups, pardner.
So that's how you make a float with Root 100! Don't use icecream by itself, it tastes vile.

When it comes to sarsaparilla, it all comes down to the brand. I prefer Frostop to Sioux City when it comes to sarsaparilla. Though, oddly enough, that preference is reversed for each brands' red birch beer.

As for the states selling Frostop, I pulled that straight from Wikipedia, so it could very well be wrong. I just get mine from the Atwoods in Park City, KS (just northeast of Wichita). I keep meaning to head over to Mayetta, KS to get some more Sprecher's, but I never seem to find the time. Sprecher's still has the best cream soda in my opinion.

Anyways, the reason I mentioned Jaegermeister is that the link between it and sarsaparilla is people who like one or both also tend to like black liccorish.

Sorry if this seems a bit incoherent. It's been a 22 hour day, so I'm a bit tires.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Never found it in NWI.

So that's how you make a float with Root 100! Don't use ice cream by itself, it tastes vile.

When it comes to sarsaparilla, it all comes down to the brand. I prefer Frostop to Sioux City when it comes to sarsaparilla. Though, oddly enough, that preference is reversed for each brands' red birch beer.

As for the states selling Frostop, I pulled that straight from Wikipedia, so it could very well be wrong. I just get mine from the Atwoods in Park City, KS (just northeast of Wichita). I keep meaning to head over to Mayetta, KS to get some more Sprecher's, but I never seem to find the time. Sprecher's still has the best cream soda in my opinion.

Anyways, the reason I mentioned Jaegermeister is that the link between it and sarsaparilla is people who like one or both also tend to like black liccorish.

Sorry if this seems a bit incoherent. It's been a 22 hour day, so I'm a bit tires.
Liquorice root, whips, vines, coins...Ouzo...all make me very sick. If I can smell it, it provides no health benefits. Blended with other herbs that can mask the taste and smell, it's very good for sore throats and such.

Jagermeister tastes like black liquorice because. It's made with liquorice and anise.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Miss Dinky wrote:Jagermeister tastes like black liquorice because. It's made with liquorice and anise.
Aaannd that's why i don't like Jager, or Ouzo, or Sambuca. And most disappointing, Absinthe.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Miss Dinky wrote:Jagermeister tastes like black liquorice because. It's made with liquorice and anise.
Aaannd that's why i don't like Jager, or Ouzo, or Sambuca. And most disappointing, Absinthe.
Gold68, Gruene Fee, Mata Hari. All anise free, so absinthe with no licorice taste. I want to say the bottle I had was Mata Hari old recipe(new recipe skips artificial colourants as well as anise)...unsure because after the second glass, I was rather wibbly wobbly, lost a bit of timey wimey...

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DinkyInky wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Gold68, Gruene Fee, Mata Hari. All anise free, so absinthe with no licorice taste. I want to say the bottle I had was Mata Hari old recipe(new recipe skips artificial colourants as well as anise)...unsure because after the second glass, I was rather wibbly wobbly, lost a bit of timey wimey...
Ooh...I know what I'ma be shopping for this weekend...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Jabberwonky wrote:
A friend of old friends was quite fond of Sambuca, and would always insist on rounds, back in the high-flying days of mandatory overtime at her unit of the publishing gulag. I didn't mind it if she was buying, but certainly haven't missed it over the past 20 years.

Haven't tried Jager or absinthe. But I do know that absinthe makes a perfect gift for people you don't like.

Absinthe of malice.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Typeminer wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
A friend of old friends was quite fond of Sambuca, and would always insist on rounds, back in the high-flying days of mandatory overtime at her unit of the publishing gulag. I didn't mind it if she was buying, but certainly haven't missed it over the past 20 years.

Haven't tried Jager or absinthe. But I do know that absinthe makes a perfect gift for people you don't like.

Absinthe of malice.
One review I read today of Gruene Fee was not at all complementary. The writer really disliked the herbal taste (apparently of the school that says it shouldn't be called absinthe if it doesn't have aniseed to complement the wormwood), said it was almost chemical in flavor, upset his stomach, and led to a rather terrible queasy hangover the next morning.

Absinthe of malaise, as it were.

(And I'm serious about the review I quoted. Apparently there's as much division and disagreement and factionalism in the absinthe-drinking community, as anywhere else :? )
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Yeah, it's about as bad as what herbs go into Gin.

I love dry Gin's with very heavy Juniper notes, and decent blending of other herbs and spices. Some try to get by on bare amounts, and...blech.
Unlike Absinthe that is still such without the Aniseed, if you remove the Juniper, it cannot be called Gin.

I once had a friend say drinking Gin was like licking a Christmas tree, but still wanted Gin...just no Juniper. Told him to drink infused spirits instead, because it cannot be done.

As I said, I had not tried the Green Faerie one(I have had real Absinthe, and blech). I do, however, believe you need to try the original version before you can determine whether or not just removing Anise will make it palatable.

Oh, and regardless of which camp you're in, raw sugar lumps...not white, not cube. Golden amber lump sugar. Makes all the difference in the world.

--Safyr Drathmir
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Jabberwonky wrote:
I've only had absinthe once. Didn't care for it. Though, I was told that it's not technically absinthe because it was made in America and thusly not brewed in a wormwood barrel.

Though, if I'm being honest, I'm super picky when it comes to alcohol. I've a strong aversion to bitter tastes, so pretty much any beer that isn't a fruit beer or a honey lager is out. I don't care for wine either. Some rums are fine. same with whiskey. Unfortunately, the stuff I do like tends to be a bit expensive, especially since I tend to prefer mixed drinks.So, I don't drink very often. I suppose it's all for the better since alcoholism seems to run on one side of the family.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
I've only had absinthe once. Didn't care for it. Though, I was told that it's not technically absinthe because it was made in America and thusly not brewed in a wormwood barrel.

Though, if I'm being honest, I'm super picky when it comes to alcohol. I've a strong aversion to bitter tastes, so pretty much any beer that isn't a fruit beer or a honey lager is out. I don't care for wine either. Some rums are fine. same with whiskey. Unfortunately, the stuff I do like tends to be a bit expensive, especially since I tend to prefer mixed drinks. So, I don't drink very often. I suppose it's all for the better since alcoholism seems to run on one side of the family.
I drink high proof, high price booze myself. Took a while to gather the proper ingredients for an Aviation...because I'm picky. Worth it though. I'll be out of single malt for a long while, because it is so very expensive, and I'd rather spoil my son.

I hear you on the alkie front. I ask myself one question every night before I pour. "Do I WANT it, or do I NEED it?" If the latter is my answer, I drink tea.

--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

DinkyInky wrote:I hear you on the alkie front. I ask myself one question every night before I pour. "Do I WANT it, or do I NEED it?" If the latter is my answer, I drink tea.
That's a good way to do things...only I sometimes have trouble distinguishing want and need...but that could be because I'm 5 years old at heart when it comes to the things I want/need.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:I hear you on the alkie front. I ask myself one question every night before I pour. "Do I WANT it, or do I NEED it?" If the latter is my answer, I drink tea.
That's a good way to do things...only I sometimes have trouble distinguishing want and need...but that could be because I'm 5 years old at heart when it comes to the things I want/need.
I have a ten year old, which changes my definition.
He once overheard me asking myself that question, and asked me why I did it. I decided that it was a fine time to discuss cigarettes, alcohol, and drug addiction(and it gave me more time to ponder my question).
I told him that sometimes people start smoking, drinking, or taking drugs(whether prescription or illegal), and find themselves incapable of stopping. Sometimes it's to deal with sorrow or loss. Sometimes physical pain. Peer pressure. Even to replace a bad feeling with a temporary good one. That's addiction.

I ask myself if I need it, because alcohol can be an addictive substance in the right situations. It can make some people giddy, or forget troubles. It impairs reaction times, judgement, and even how physical pain affects you.

I need to give you a hug, or to make food when you are hungry. If I ever need an alcoholic drink, or a smoke(which I do on occasion take cherry cavendish in a pipe), that's when I need to go drink tea or take a walk.

Getting in the habit of asking this question before I make one can make all the difference. I also make sure all important tasks involving driving are done for the day, because if I drink...yeah, just not happening.

Whenever I jokingly say to friends, "Man, I need a drink!" to the last, they all ask, "Need or Want?" because they've all heard the ritual...and know why I do it. More importantly, they respect it and take it seriously enough to keep it going even if I never forget.

I have friends from high school who have kids of drinking age. They have this question posted on the door leading to the car.

"Going out tonight? Great. Before you put that key in the ignition, ask yourself one question:

Need or Want?

If you need it, here's a game card and a gift card for a pizza. Go play on the xBox with your buddies instead."

Love,

Mom & Dad

If my silly ritual they've adopted prevents even one moment of drunken stupidity, it's worth it, and the kids can hate me.

--Safyr Drathmir
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

DinkyInky, that's definitely something that needs to be in a good parenting book or on a parenting tips forum.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Gyrrakavian wrote:DinkyInky, that's definitely something that needs to be in a good parenting book or on a parenting tips forum.
I have posted it before over the years. Might stick it in a post on my blog for the New Year.

--Safyr Drathmir