A nicely silly web comic: Skin Deep

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

A nicely silly web comic: Skin Deep

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

So i stumbled over Skin Deep yesterday, and binged the archive (goes back to 2006, posts weekly, with occasional breaks between chapters) last night.

What's it like?

You're a young woman, just heading off to college in Missouri.  You never really had friends in grade school or high school, but, beginning with your roommate, you begin making friends 

One day you're all in town, and a strange cloaked figure startles you, and then ducks into an alley, dropping some sort of necklace or pendant.

You head over there, picking up the medallion, planning to call after him/her ... but when you get there, there's no sign of her/him ... and the alley is a short space between buildings, with no way out.

Later, sitting at your computer, while your roommate is away for the weekend ... something happens.

And when you wake up - you're not in your dorm room ... and you're not you any more.

Mildly spoilerish picture - from a page where Michelle still Doesn't Get It and her friends are trying to explain:

Mythical beasts exist - and now you are one.

Well, little more complex than that.

LOTS more complex.

There's a main story, following Michelle and her friends (and the demons who are after her) and several side stories - mostly set in Liverpool, in a community of magical creatures and beasts, and it's all Fun.

There's danger, mild horror/terror type moments, lots of Silliness and some fairly nice art - some decent evolution is visible over the six years, though not nearly as extreme as Questionable Content or El Goonish Shive.

Same character - from his earliest appearance in 2006 and from a couple of weeks ago:

If you haven't encountered it yet, it might be worth your while to take a look.

Main/Current page.

First page

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
scantrontb

Re: A nicely silly web comic: Skin Deep

Post by scantrontb »

yep, awesome comic... i love the card game "Borogove" they had in the beginning as just a random bit of background scene filler...then they did the Kickstarter for it and when i got it, it's a pretty fun game to play.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

scantrontb wrote:yep, awesome comic... i love the card game "Borogove" they had in the beginning as just a random bit of background scene filler...then they did the Kickstarter for it and when i got it, it's a pretty fun game to play.
Neet.

I understand some Pratchett fans worked out how to play Cripple Mister Onion, too.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
scantrontb wrote:yep, awesome comic... i love the card game "Borogove" they had in the beginning as just a random bit of background scene filler...then they did the Kickstarter for it and when i got it, it's a pretty fun game to play.
Neet.

I understand some Pratchett fans worked out how to play Cripple Mister Onion, too.
And Thud, if I'm not mistaken...

Yep. And a couple of others...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous