Come Monday 2015-10-02

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: Come Monday 2015-10-02

Post by AmriloJim »

'Sali, there's your solution... treat the tail with compassion and respect and it'll serve you well. Similar to, but not quite as strident as Hugo in “The Abominable Snow Rabbit” (1961).
smoore77

Post by smoore77 »

Castella seems to have a special rapport with vine shaped appendages.
n4nln

Post by n4nln »

While the mechanical design of Atsali's tail is impressive,
what this may be foreshadowing of Pickle's true powers is even more so.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

n4nln wrote:While the mechanical design of Atsali's tail is impressive,
what this may be foreshadowing of Pickle's true powers is even more so.
What he said...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

meisdadoo wrote:
Thor wrote:
Cheesy1 wrote:http://wapsisquare.com/comic/come-monday/

That has to feel rather uncomfortable.
Especially if the tail has any basis in the physics of biological reality at all. She's basically sucking in half of her spine.
Interesting concept, do magical para-normal creatures have to abide by the rules of the physics of biological reality?

Ursa morphs, mermaids with legs, Cricket, etc.; I am going with apparently they do not.
And for all we know, the tail may be more like the tongue of an anteater or humming bird and less like a "normal" tail with bones--so there's that.
Good question.

Though, I thought Cricket used a glamour for “human form". Kind of like a hard-light projection/hologram (which has its own weird physics).

From the thickness of the tail and its flexibility, I'm definitely going to agree that it's boneless. Either that or its got tiny little brittle bones in it. But, again- the flexibility.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Obviously, how one "transforms" to a human state may be different from species to species. The Fae may call the process "glamour", while, say, the Apotropaic Sphinxes consider it "reversion".
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:Obviously, how one "transforms" to a human state may be different from species to species. The Fae may call the process "glamour", while, say, the Apotropaic Sphinxes consider it "reversion".
Reversion or perversion?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It depends on the sphinx. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Septuagenarian wrote:Castela is going to be something else by the time she grows up. Rather scary I think.
There are pics of Castela at sixteen and twenty-something. I have them on my computer, and i can post lo-res versions of them from there.

Unfortunately, my computer is in Gainesville and i am in New Orleans until Monday.

EDIT to add: You won't believe the dashcam video of the drive down at 2100-plus MPH.

(Well, 75 MPH shot one-frame-per second time-lapse.

Gainesville to NOLa, twenty-three minutes.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Come MONDAY, It'll be alright.♫ ......Thank You Jimmy Buffett.
I'm surprised no one caught that. ;)
And Thank YOU Pickle for being the logic to your big sisters Panic attack.
Armorlord

Post by Armorlord »

Oh man, I'm going to be looking to go [Crisis averted, mama.] anywhere I can now. :lol:
Awesome sprout is awesome.
"Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience." -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

So, what sorts of situations has our favourite little Whatsit been getting into where "crisis averted" is a phrase she is familiar with and can use?
meisdadoo wrote:Interesting concept, do magical para-normal creatures have to abide by the rules of the physics of biological reality?
Perhaps the answer is yes, but that they also have a more complete understanding of and usage of those rules than we do. We don't think the ability to pick at our teeth with our fingernails to be anything special, but to a jellyfish it would seem bizarre and unnatural.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Come MONDAY, It'll be alright.♫ ......Thank You Jimmy Buffett.
I'm surprised no one caught that. ;)
And Thank YOU Pickle for being the logic to your big sisters Panic attack.
I've sung the title to this thread every time I've come in to check...
:D

Catawampus wrote:Perhaps the answer is yes, but that they also have a more complete understanding of and usage of those rules than we do. We don't think the ability to pick at our teeth with our fingernails to be anything special, but to a jellyfish it would seem bizarre and unnatural.
Well yeah, especially if you're in a public restaurant...
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:It depends on the sphinx. ;)
Phix is a lady and I will let it go at that...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Hmm, all this worrying about a tail, and no-one had anything much to say about where her giant bird claws 'retract' to... or even where her 'gigantic wingspan' goes to.... :P :P :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Catawampus wrote:Perhaps the answer is yes, but that they also have a more complete understanding of and usage of those rules than we do. We don't think the ability to pick at our teeth with our fingernails to be anything special, but to a jellyfish it would seem bizarre and unnatural.
Quite right. One should never use anything other than a dagger to pick one's teeth in public. Even a jellyfish would be aware of that.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Quite right. One should never use anything other than a dagger to pick one's teeth in public. Even a jellyfish would be aware of that.
I find the Fairbairn-Sykes quite adequate to the task
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Jabberwonky wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Obviously, how one "transforms" to a human state may be different from species to species. The Fae may call the process "glamour", while, say, the Apotropaic Sphinxes consider it "reversion".
Reversion or perversion?
*a la Groucho Marx*
That depends entirely on their intentions.
*waggles eyebrows*
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Reversion or perversion?
*a la Groucho Marx*
That depends entirely on their intentions.
*waggles eyebrows*
A thought just occurred to me...the fun the collective has had over 'wing boners' ain't gonna be nothin' compared to Tail Boners....
illiad

Post by illiad »

Jabberwonky wrote: A thought just occurred to me...the fun the collective has had over 'wing boners' ain't gonna be nothin' compared to Tail Boners....
HEH, yeah... Atsali turns away from 'hated person' while tail pops out and hugs him!!!! :oops: :mrgreen: :roll: