Steampunk Characters & Costuming

Just a little nook for SteamPunk folks to talk shop, costuming/cosplay, media, and rub elbows.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

PrettyPrincess

Steampunk Characters & Costuming

Post by PrettyPrincess »

So I figure we need to share some chromatographs here!
PrettyPrincess

Re: Steampunk Characters & Costuming

Post by PrettyPrincess »

In June I was in a steampunk-flavored version of the Wizard of Oz in a community theater production. I was the Munchkin coroner, plus the beautician in charge of Dorothy's Emerald City makeover. I got to design my Munchkin costume, which was pretty cool. Plus the corsets I wore in the show were all mine (they didn't have anything in the costume shop that could contain me while singing and dancing)!

Me as the coroner, with my death certificate scroll:

The Barrister, Mayor, and Coroner:

Me and my favorite Tree/Winkie/Jitterbug:

My cute girl and me in Emerald City costume:

My son, the flying monkey(you can't see it, but he had a jetpack on):

Our Glinda, she and I got hoop skirts:

I have a shot of TinMan, running between scenes:

My final Emerald City costume - we tried 2 different hats and 2 different corsets, plus we had to take that dress in to make it fit right:

I was accosted by a Winkie Guard! Eek!:
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Completely dead, was she?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Wonderfully creative concept and great costume. It is also good to see you share your passions with your children.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

I even got a gem encrusted magnifying glass to examine the feet... I also got the neato job of putting Dorothy's ruby steampunk boots on her feet in the magic scene. My kids were also dance soloists, as members of the Lullaby League and the Lollipop Guild - my son got a lollipop taller than him.

http://www.heraldextra.com/entertainmen ... b41d7.html

That link shows the promo photos of the cast leads, the Dorothy boots are so cool. And my daughter had me sew her a duplicate of our Dorothy costume...

Now, I demand other steampunk photos!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

PrettyPrincess wrote:I even got a gem encrusted magnifying glass to examine the feet... I also got the neato job of putting Dorothy's ruby steampunk boots on her feet in the magic scene. My kids were also dance soloists, as members of the Lullaby League and the Lollipop Guild - my son got a lollipop taller than him.

http://www.heraldextra.com/entertainmen ... b41d7.html

That link shows the promo photos of the cast leads, the Dorothy boots are so cool. And my daughter had me sew her a duplicate of our Dorothy costume...

Now, I demand other steampunk photos!
Great pictographs! I'd have loved to have seen the play. I'd oblige with stereo-graphs of my own, but my dwarven chromatograph is quite fussy.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

So, my wee one dressed as Young Captain Jack Sparrow one year. After we went out and pillaged the town while he shamelessly flirted with the wenches, we went to a friends house where he posed with his Pumpkin. The very talented 'Chopmaster Adonis over at the InkTank Studios forums made this for me:

Step one:
Step Two:

Goggles and Gears and Death Rays, Oh My!

He says he'd love to do this for real some day if I could find him a nice pair of proper sized goggles and make him a proper toolbelt. I even have the right scent for him to wear while taking over the world: Tesla from ZOMG Smells.

Right now I'm busy attempting to turn him into the World's Only Consulting Detective. Who ever would have thought it'd be so difficult to find Houndstooth Wool Tweed(He also wanted to use it as a Winter Coat). I had to get costumers fabric, and I don't think it will work beyond the costume.
:p
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

DinkyInky wrote:So, my wee one dressed as Young Captain Jack Sparrow one year. After we went out and pillaged the town while he shamelessly flirted with the wenches, we went to a friends house where he posed with his Pumpkin. The very talented 'Chopmaster Adonis over at the InkTank Studios forums made this for me:

Goggles and Gears and Death Rays, Oh My!

He says he'd love to do this for real some day if I could find him a nice pair of proper sized goggles and make him a proper toolbelt. I even have the right scent for him to wear while taking over the world: Tesla from ZOMG Smells.

Right now I'm busy attempting to turn him into the World's Only Consulting Detective. Who ever would have thought it'd be so difficult to find Houndstooth Wool Tweed(He also wanted to use it as a Winter Coat). I had to get costumers fabric, and I don't think it will work beyond the costume.
:p
Dinky, you have made a wonderful life for your spawn and self. Nice pics.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Thank you. Every day is a challenge and a blessing. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but I want him to enjoy life no matter what. There are days I don't think I am giving him enough, and wish I could give more. I try to instill in him all the good bits of what my parents did for me while growing up, and add a few good bits of my own.

I don't PC candy coat the facts either. I just had a conference with his teacher, and she told me she had to modify her lesson plans and the way she teaches everything because of his matter of fact manner. He questions things and states it matter of fact that "something is wrong, how it is wrong, and what is the right way", and now all of the students do this.

His friends want to be Power Rangers and Angry Birds. He want's to be Sherlock Holmes. How cool is that? My wrists of course are already rebelling, but I wouldn't change it for the world.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Geek_on_call

Post by Geek_on_call »

Steam Lantern ? Site needs updating. http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/ ... index.html
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
- Groucho Marx
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Geek_on_call wrote:Steam Lantern ?
I'm still trying to get Adonis to Steampunk my wee one's RGB pic because it would be interesting to see where his mind takes the idea.

--Safyr Drathmir