Hey Kid 2015-09-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Hey Kid 2015-09-03

Post by AmriloJim »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/hey-kid/

Looks like another revision is in order, JW, now that "Not Jordan" has been named.
Cheesy1

Re: Hey Kid 2015-09-03

Post by Cheesy1 »

That's right, Jordan. Keep insulting beings when you have no clue as to their nature and power. It's sure worked well so far. :roll:
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Introducing the Anti-Devyn!

Nega-Devyn, maybe. Something like that.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I foresee she is actually going to find out the 'kid' is an earlier/inner version of her own self. :cry:

or,.... it's Tina. :twisted:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No, I'm pretty sure that's nega-Devyn.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

jwhouk wrote:No, I'm pretty sure that's nega-Devyn.

But she isnt sporting a Van Dyke...
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Looks familiar. Looks like Connie is going to get a playmate her own, er, type?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Cheesy1 wrote:That's right, Jordan. Keep insulting beings when you have no clue as to their nature and power. It's sure worked well so far. :roll:
All the brains GOD gave a brick... no wonder Tara shined her on to help a Teddy Bear. The differance between genius and stupidity is genius has limits...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I think there are two sides to Devyn... the dork side, and the dark side.

Tara and Jordan taunted one side of her. Now they get to meet the other side of her.

"Karma" is sometimes just another word for symmetry.
Sgt. Howard wrote:All the brains GOD gave a brick...
The Brick Anti-Defamation League is on the phone, asking to speak with you. They sound rather annoyed.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Very Shelly-esque... Connie resided in the boiler room... Monica's demons resided in whatever deep dark recess they could find to hide in... now Devyn's are taking up residence in a lower floor of wherever. I think there are two entities down there... maybe three. She won't find solace with anti-devyn and the other won't find solace with the teddy bear...

I don't think Devyn will hurt them... but in showing them her darker side one would hope these two will take the hint and leave her alone in the future.

Devyn seemed like a pretty likable kid... smart, vivacious... I never imagined this side of her.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:All the brains GOD gave a brick...
The Brick Anti-Defamation League is on the phone, asking to speak with you. They sound rather annoyed.
If they wanted to be taken seriously they shouldn't have chosen a name that spells BAD.

It's hard to set up a proper brick joke.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Guess who just failed the test? Hopefully there's more than one.

I wonder what happens when the little girl gets the teddy bear.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

DilyV wrote:Very Shelly-esque... Connie resided in the boiler room... Monica's demons resided in whatever deep dark recess they could find to hide in... now Devyn's are taking up residence in a lower floor of wherever. I think there are two entities down there... maybe three. She won't find solace with anti-devyn and the other won't find solace with the teddy bear...

I don't think Devyn will hurt them... but in showing them her darker side one would hope these two will take the hint and leave her alone in the future.

Devyn seemed like a pretty likable kid... smart, vivacious... I never imagined this side of her.
Everyone has a dark side to some degree (Ned Flanders hates his parents). Sainthood is a matter of conquering it for the betterment of one's self.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
TOMIB

Post by TOMIB »

I'm starting to get a vibe that only one of these girls is really... what? Evil? Nasty? Jordan seems to be the alpha, and the nasty one. Tara seems to have an underlying kindness when not in the shadow of her accomplice.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
DilyV wrote:Devyn seemed like a pretty likable kid... smart, vivacious... I never imagined this side of her.
Everyone has a dark side to some degree (Ned Flanders hates his parents). Sainthood is a matter of conquering it for the betterment of one's self.
What she said to Tara and Jordan was that she woudn't protect them from seeing how their taunting made her feel. Several people here have suggested that what Devyn seemed to be experiencing wasn't just teenage angst, but full-scale clinical depression.

The dark-eyed kid may be a reflection of how Devyn feels... deep speechless depression, hidden away out of sight. This whole situation... being stranded in a hostile place, alone and isolated, feeling unsupported (e.g. by the floor), desperate cries for help that no one seems to respond to... that's a pretty close external analogy to feeling the Killer Blues.

So, if it's a place of torment, it may mean that's what Devyn feels... not what she sets out to inflict.
TOMIB wrote:I'm starting to get a vibe that only one of these girls is really... what? Evil? Nasty?
Her behavior is nasty, self-centered, and really lacking in empathy, I think. She comes across to me as the sort of person who reinforces herself and her position by tearing down and belittling others.

Tara does seem to have some better instincts.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Dave wrote:I think there are two sides to Devyn... the dork side, and the dark side.
I don't know. It may be more like the dark side and the darker side.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

An interesting observation: Poseidon is known both as the king of the sea and the one who "shakes the earth." Perhaps Devyn has a similar duality about her - innocent as a sea nymph, but able to destroy people with a thought?
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Speaking of the teddy, I wonder if Tara is about to unwittingly carry something down to the basement. A place that the something did not have the power, on it's own, to get to. A barrier that has, up until now, kept things at peace between the empty-eyed basement dwelling girl-thing and the upstairs shape-shifting occupant. Matter and antimatter may be about to meet. Or in this case, dark matter and darker matter. Those in the fallout zone may not fare well. Perhaps not their bodies, but their minds may be ripped from reality's anchor.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
lake_wrangler

Search…

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:

If the comic was in color, she'd be dressed all in yellow...

Unseen, and off to the side: a very wide brimmed hat... ;)

Let's get dangerous!
jwhouk

Re: Search…

Post by jwhouk »

lake_wrangler wrote:
TazManiac wrote:

If the comic was in color, she'd be dressed all in yellow...

Unseen, and off to the side: a very wide brimmed hat... ;)

Let's get dangerous!
That's been done already.