BUG OUT! NO DRILL!

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

GlytchMeister

Re: BUG OUT! NO DRILL!

Post by GlytchMeister »

But clever... not only taking advantage of a natural disaster (like most looters), but rather making their own.

Smart. Terrible, but smart.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:But clever... not only taking advantage of a natural disaster (like most looters), but rather making their own.

Clever, yes. Devious, yes. Unprincipled, ruthless, terrible... yes.

Doing it repeatedly, under circumstances where (from what Sgt. Howard says) a significant number of the victims can identify you? Not smart. Possibly Darwin-award-grade stupid, in fact.

If what he says is correct, then at this point "smart" would involve direct confessions at a police station.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Blessed be the last two days of RAIN!!! The sky is clear, the fireline is under control!!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:But clever... not only taking advantage of a natural disaster (like most looters), but rather making their own.

Clever, yes. Devious, yes. Unprincipled, ruthless, terrible... yes.

Doing it repeatedly, under circumstances where (from what Sgt. Howard says) a significant number of the victims can identify you? Not smart. Possibly Darwin-award-grade stupid, in fact.

If what he says is correct, then at this point "smart" would involve direct confessions at a police station.

while I'm tending to believe that this is indeed what it sounds like... a looter or group of looters sets a fire to spook the neighborhood, then cleans them out after they leave; being the pessimist that i am, what about this: That all depends on if the victims were ACTUALLY victims, or if they were part of an insurance scam to get more money back from the insurance companies than they should have, and maybe somebody accidentally spilled the beans? and as far as the "can be identified"... well, sure, i can "identify" Arnold Schwarzenegger just like practically anyone else can, but does that mean he was the one to come by and set fire to my house?... probably not... that could be the story they are all sticking to for now...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Except that certain details have been consistent across several communities, often enough picked up upon by the fire crews themselves not the victims- I did consider that angle. These idiots will be caught, but it's a question of by whom.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Except that certain details have been consistent across several communities, often enough picked up upon by the fire crews themselves not the victims- I did consider that angle. These idiots will be caught, but it's a question of by whom.
And whether or not they decide...friendly persuasion...to be a good enough solution to the issue.

I can be...extremely persuasive...given enough time and motivation.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Thing is, a lot of the area burned in the fires happen to be Federal land. That means the FBI will be called.

"Hey, Suze? How you like the Pacific Northwest in the fall?"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

If it were proven that there really are vampires, more or less in accordance with the mythology, and some of them are cops... might that deter some crime?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You'd have to hope so.

Of course, Suze kept insinuating to me in my stories that there were some Vamps who worked at my facility, so...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I THOUGHT I saw a familiar set of freckles among the investigators...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

DinkyInky wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:Except that certain details have been consistent across several communities, often enough picked up upon by the fire crews themselves not the victims- I did consider that angle. These idiots will be caught, but it's a question of by whom.
And whether or not they decide...friendly persuasion...to be a good enough solution to the issue.

This county is lousey with ex-SF military types- almost a Battalions' worth- we know that kind of... stuff... as well
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:

This county is lousey with ex-SF military types- almost a Battalions' worth- we know that kind of... stuff... as well
Exactly. Persuasion is very effective when using the right amount...of...leverage.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:Exactly. Persuasion is very effective when using the right amount...of...leverage.
You've got that right. You find one of the people involved, tie him down in a large bathtub, and then start slowwwwly filling the tub with crawling, cooing furry animals. Fear and helplessness set in, as the arsonist realizes that in an hour or so he'll be completely covered, smothered in fuzz, unable to escape or breathe, suffocating in softness.

Only when this happens does the interrogating officer swagger in, fix him with a steely glare, and sterny inform him... "You're in a heap o' tribbles, boy."

He'll talk.

(Places a handful of Spican flame gems into the Pun Jar)
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Exactly. Persuasion is very effective when using the right amount...of...leverage.
You've got that right. You find one of the people involved, tie him down in a large bathtub, and then start slowwwwly filling the tub with crawling, cooing furry animals. Fear and helplessness set in, as the arsonist realizes that in an hour or so he'll be completely covered, smothered in fuzz, unable to escape or breathe, suffocating in softness.

Only when this happens does the interrogating officer swagger in, fix him with a steely glare, and sterny inform him... "You're in a heap o' tribbles, boy."

He'll talk.

(Places a handful of Spican flame gems into the Pun Jar)
No wonder your wife uses a tranq gun on you...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:No wonder your wife uses a tranq gun on you...
It's one of the true miracles in the world, that she hasn't put me out of her (and everyone's) misery by mercifully strangling me in my sleep. :lol:

She even encourages me to write down my puns... says I should collect and publish them. I'm deathly afraid of creating some sort of singularity, though... it'd be like piling up a huge amount of mercury fulmanate and picric acid in one place... even if I don't hammer on it myself, it'd be just too dangerous to exist. A Necronomicon of puns... :?

Really glad to hear that none of the fires got to your home, and that you and the family are OK! There's more than enough tragedy out there... don't need yet one more.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:No wonder your wife uses a tranq gun on you...
It's one of the true miracles in the world, that she hasn't put me out of her (and everyone's) misery by mercifully strangling me in my sleep. :lol:

She even encourages me to write down my puns... says I should collect and publish them. I'm deathly afraid of creating some sort of singularity, though... it'd be like piling up a huge amount of mercury fulmanate and picric acid in one place... even if I don't hammer on it myself, it'd be just too dangerous to exist. A Necronomicon of puns... :?

Really glad to hear that none of the fires got to your home, and that you and the family are OK! There's more than enough tragedy out there... don't need yet one more.
"If I dood it, I'll get a whuppin'! I don' know why I'm still talkin' 'bout 'dis, ya know I'm gunna do it anyway."

Dooo eet! It will be a pun-volution! Pun-tastic! Pun-za-palooza! A pun is a terrible thing to waste.

*drops a Red Skelton vinyl in the vault*

--Safyr Drathmir