Good Rapport 2015-08-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Good Rapport 2015-08-06

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote: Re-reading Devyn's remark... it's possible that Zeus and Hades aren't even allowed to enter the Library.

She referred to visiting them "through the Library", not "in the Library". They might be barred from even entering the Library through a portal, in which case Devyn would be transiting the Library portal system to get to whatever world or dimension in which Zeus and Hades are still hanging out.
Two things:
1. Hades is probably down in his domain (the underworld), while Zeus is probably off in whatever they substituted for Olympus nowadays. Poseidon may be "stuck" in one of the so-called Triangles where the Grid doesn't (apparently) work. (Cue plot development music...)

2. Bia also may have "gotten around" the World Grid because of what happened to her - namely, how she was blasted by the Chimera. And, of course, the Library probably found out after the first iteration of the Calendar Machine that Bia was pretty important to its final "fix".
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
eee

Post by eee »

chicgeek wrote:This is all making me think of Nightlife of the Gods, by Thorne Smith. If anybody's heard of him today it's a vague memory of the Topper movie with Cary Grant. But he wrote a passel of comic and fantasy novels, around the 20's and 30's. They were reprinted sometime in the 80's, I think, which is when me and other half collected them, and dammit, we've somehow lost them over the years. I suspect one of the times the basement flooded when books were stored at his mom's place.
Anyway! Eccentric inventor teams up with a 900 year old sexy female paranormal, and brings all the statues of the Greek gods in the Metropolitan Museum in New York to life one night. In prohibition era New York.

and a free version from Project Guternberg Australia
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600271.txt
A quote from a Goodreads review-"The two decide it would be a good idea to bring the statues of the gods at the Metropolitan Museum to life. But the gods, it turns out, are too human by half -- they immediately start to cavort, bicker, drink, and carry on in a spree of epic proportions."
Oh, the show Bewitched, was inspired by the movie I Married a Witch, which was based on the novel, The Passionate Witch, which was Thorne Smith's last book, finished by someone else and published posthumously. Huh.
Ooh! Ooh! I loved The Nightlife of the Gods!! The gods' first encounter with Prohibition gin, when all they're used to is wine... :lol:

(While the rest of the gods were collapsed on the ground wondering if they were going to die, Venus didn't turn a hair and asked for more.)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Uh, I do have a new thread queued up, as soon as Pablo posts it to the site.

Haven't done one of 'em in a while... :?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin