Fit in 2015-08-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Warrl

Re: Fit in 2015-08-04

Post by Warrl »

oldmanmickey wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:http://wapsisquare.com/comic/fit-in-2/

Ahh, books. We can always fit into books.
...although, reading in that position always made my arms ache.
Having had 3 sisters, a daughter and 4 granddaughters so far i have noticed that young females much like cats can contort their bodies into shapes and maintain them that would have adults running for the chiropractor if not reconstructive surgery.

I am thinking given her family connections that little D would be in the running for Queen bee as well.
One of my daughters was a dancer from age 5 to 18, and she could lie down on the floor with the front points of both hipbones - and also both shoulderblades - touching the floor.

Which made things a bit tough for our chiropractor.
eee wrote:I've been wondering about Devyn and Poseidon. Why identify HIM as her uncle? Poseidon, Zeus, Hades, they were all brothers. If Devyn is related to Poseidon by marriage or blood, ALL of them would be her uncles, so why would she (and Jin) refer only to the Earthshaker? Also, if she's related by blood, then her mother or father would be an Olympian god in their own right and Devyn could have threatened the pool flunkie with the full power of the Greek Pantheon. So why only Poseidon?

One possibility is that, since the Greek gods were the original Soap Opera, and you had family relationships that were not only incredibly tangled there were some that could only exist in fantasy, Devyn is telling the truth: Poseidon - and ONLY Poseidon - is her uncle. I don't know how that would be possible. Maybe adoption, maybe one of her parental units is a simularicum created by Poseidon or one of his children, maybe direct divine action. But Mr. Taylor might be cleverer than I in thinking up those sorts of quirks.

Or perhaps Poseidon has become much bigger over the years than Zeus, and invoking his name draws more attention than any other Greek god. Also, whereas Zeus tended to be pretty unpredictable with his offspring and extensive family group - some he would move heaven and earth to help, others he ignored - Poseidon was usually uniformly protective. Mess with one of HIS, you would regret it. Under those circumstances, he would of course be the god Devyn would invoke...
Or you could just say that there's family you're familial with, and then there's relatives you prefer to stay relatively far from. What I remember of Greek mythology, Zeus wasn't particularly helpful and on the occasions when he did try to help it usually backfired.

Poseidon may be a great*-uncle rather than a direct uncle. And he's a sea god, which is somewhat relevant to a swimming pool. In fact, didn't he own that facility?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

What y'all are missing is that Jin knows who she is. Maybe not by name, but she knows she's Poseidon's Niece.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

Oh Devyn...so many girls (and guys) are just like you. You fit in better than you realize. :)
shadowinthelight wrote:I get the feeling she might fit in the drama club if the school has one. Band made up the grand majority of my social life in school.
What shadowinthelight said. :)
Sgt. Howard wrote:
DilyV wrote:Anyone else notice how Atsali-like Devyn is? Lonely, few friends, bookish... The parallel is striking...
... and like Monica? Methinks Paul has had much contact with such as these in his life... lucky devil...

THAT'S IT!!! THAT is the common thread!!! ALL of us can relate to shy, nervous, nerdy girls. How many guys here think Hermione Granger is HOT? How many girls here would befriend her in school? Or Atsali? or Devyn?
Or Monica?
And guys aren't the only ones who think Hermione Granger is hot. Just sayin'. (She was a little intense to be "my type" but I'd have crushed on her hard as a teen.)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:Ehh... Poseidon isn't quite the Godking of the Ancient Greeks. That's his brother.
And, in a world like Wapsi, Ancient Greek gods might not be quite as impressive, due to the amount of competition they have from Aztec/Mayan/Olmec, Ancient Egyptian, and other pantheons. The Abrahamic God might also exist for real, too, but I'm not sure Paul would touch that can-o-worms with a ten foot pole.
Yes, it would be a can of worms... but an interesting one.

As I understand it, the monotheistic religion of the Israelites grew out of much older roots. The people of Israel were originally Caananites, and in ancient days they probably worshipped the Caananite pantheon. This was just as multi-layered and complex as the Greek, and included both male and female deities... El was the supreme creator-god, Asherah the Goddess-Mother, and various other deities such as Baal and Moloch and Yahweh (often described as being the children of El and Asherah) were the tribal gods of different groups. It wasn't until around the time of the Babylonian conquest and the (first) exile of the Israelites, that their religious practice swung over to become monotheistic and focused entirely on Yahweh.

It'd certainly be interesting if Asherah were to make an appearance in the Wapsiverse! (That's assuming, of course, that she can work her way past the World Grid).
Skywatcher68

Post by Skywatcher68 »

Warrl wrote:One of my daughters was a dancer from age 5 to 18, and she could lie down on the floor with the front points of both hipbones - and also both shoulderblades - touching the floor.
Until age 8 or so, I could lie flat on my back and touch the floor with the tips of my toes.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave: I have a theory about that. There is one Being that is greater than that of all creatures in the strip, and we've only heard from it twice.

Hint: rumor has it that there's a portal somewhere on the side of Mount Sinai...
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Dave: I have a theory about that. There is one Being that is greater than that of all creatures in the strip, and we've only heard from it twice.

Hint: rumor has it that there's a portal somewhere on the side of Mount Sinai...
Hmmm... "El" is the same sound as "L-as-in-Library". Perhaps not a coincidence?
Tarrow

Post by Tarrow »

If Devin is Poseidon's niece... I can't wait to see Euryales response to meeting a relative, however indirect :D
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/sister-medusa/
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
eee wrote:I've been wondering about Devyn and Poseidon. Why identify HIM as her uncle? Poseidon, Zeus, Hades, they were all brothers. If Devyn is related to Poseidon by marriage or blood, ALL of them would be her uncles, so why would she (and Jin) refer only to the Earthshaker? Also, if she's related by blood, then her mother or father would be an Olympian god in their own right and Devyn could have threatened the pool flunkie with the full power of the Greek Pantheon. So why only Poseidon?
Perhaps Poseidon owns the pool?
Poseidon = “father Seidon"

Guess what the first king of Phonecea was named.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Someone needs a kaiju friend. I suggest Gamera.
I have recipes for turtle...
At least his every step doesn't completely poison the land with radition for 20km in every direction.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:We can always fit into books.
And in some cases, be made into books!
GlytchMeister wrote:And, in a world like Wapsi, Ancient Greek gods might not be quite as impressive, due to the amount of competition they have from Aztec/Mayan/Olmec, Ancient Egyptian, and other pantheons.
Unless the different pantheons are all just different depictions of the same basic individuals. Poseidon could be Lir and Yam and Kanaloa and Pariacaca as well. Different names, same person.
eee wrote:Why identify HIM as her uncle? Poseidon, Zeus, Hades, they were all brothers. If Devyn is related to Poseidon by marriage or blood, ALL of them would be her uncles, so why would she (and Jin) refer only to the Earthshaker?
Perhaps the rest of them aren't around any more.
Dave wrote:As I understand it, the monotheistic religion of the Israelites grew out of much older roots. The people of Israel were originally Caananites, and in ancient days they probably worshipped the Caananite pantheon.
Even after all of the editing and translating and such, you can still see some hints of polytheism in the earlier books of the Old Testament if you look closely. God wasn't the only god, but was their own particular god.

And then things changed.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:Unless the different pantheons are all just different depictions of the same basic individuals. Poseidon could be Lir and Yam and Kanaloa and Pariacaca as well. Different names, same person.
Well, we've seen wossname - Kuculcan - and he's definitely a unique individual in the Wapsiverse.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:Even after all of the editing and translating and such, you can still see some hints of polytheism in the earlier books of the Old Testament if you look closely. God wasn't the only god, but was their own particular god.

And then things changed.
Yup.

I've got a copy of what's supposed to be one of the better books on the topic heading my way via an inter-library loan. Should be interesting reading.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

What changed was the Babylonian captivity. (OY! Do I have to explain EVERYTHING to you MENSCHES?)
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

I don't know if it was necessarily derived from an older polytheistic religion or if it was more influenced by the Cannanite religion.

Granted, there are those parallels between the first chapters of Genesis and the Seven Tablets of Creation.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:I've got a copy of what's supposed to be one of the better books on the topic heading my way via an inter-library loan.
Which book? (Theology and religious history is one of the things I studied in university)
Julie

Post by Julie »

Catawampus wrote:
Dave wrote:I've got a copy of what's supposed to be one of the better books on the topic heading my way via an inter-library loan.
Which book? (Theology and religious history is one of the things I studied in university)
Yes...please share! I will probably want to read it too! :D
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
Yes...please share! I will probably want to read it too! :D
It's "The early history of God : Yahweh and the other deities in ancient Israel" by Mark S. Smith.

I just got the pickup notice from my local library a few minutes ago... I'll probably bike over after dinner and pick it up and start reading. I'll letcha know how it reads, once I'm at least partway through it.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:What changed was the Babylonian captivity. (OY! Do I have to explain EVERYTHING to you MENSCHES?)
Joseph- THESE ARE GOYEM!!! NOT MENCHES!!!- Nicodemus
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Great, I'm gonna hear about that next time I visit.