Lonely Day 2015-08-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Lee M

Re: Lonely Day 2015-08-03

Post by Lee M »

I just posted a twee - er, scrawl - on Belfry informing them of Wapsi's return.
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

In a nutshell, that was my experience through school. Unable to get involved by people because most of the other popular kids would just lie in wait for me to try to interact to make fun of me for it and punish me for reaching out.

Dear god I hated school.
eee

Post by eee »

Yay, Wapsi Square is back!

If this is Devyn, this might be a flashback. We know she's another nerd-girl, something of a misfit, and low enough in the social rankings that even her friends were willing to dragoon her into being the sacrifice to go over and talk to Atsali at the pool. But we also know that she DOES have friends, she's active in school activities, and now she should be semi-famous as the girl who stood up for the Queen Bee at the Paranormal Pool and was befriended as a result. If it's a flashback it might be to before all that when she hadn't yet started to fit in. Or she might want more than she's got.

I wonder who or what her mother is...
Julie

Post by Julie »

*wants to hugglesmoosh Devyn* :( Poor dear.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Skywatcher68

Post by Skywatcher68 »

Drakkenmensch wrote:In a nutshell, that was my experience through school. Unable to get involved by people because most of the other popular kids would just lie in wait for me to try to interact to make fun of me for it and punish me for reaching out.
Sounds familiar.

I joined my school's student service club and that helped. The club held fundraisers every so often, one of these was assortment boxes of full-size M&M's, Reeses, etc. I took my box around school; some students did not like having their source of sugar messed with.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Most of School in general and High School specifically seemed a big waste of time, it was just that; time passing.

Warehousing.

Being overly insightful, extremely sensitive, and way out at the end of many bell curves serves to enhance isolation, right in the middle of a crowd even.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

TazManiac wrote:Most of School in general and High School specifically seemed a big waste of time, it was just that; time passing.

Warehousing.

Being overly insightful, extremely sensitive, and way out at the end of many bell curves serves to enhance isolation, right in the middle of a crowd even.
I have learned over the years that 'officially' GENIUS is considered a MENTAL ILLNESS... and if you look at how those afflicted are treated, you will see how true this is.
This has got to be a flashback- Deyvin is far too active socially for this to be current.

Paul, it's good to see your work again!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
eee

Post by eee »

Sgt. Howard wrote: I have learned over the years that 'officially' GENIUS is considered a MENTAL ILLNESS... and if you look at how those afflicted are treated, you will see how true this is.
This has got to be a flashback- Deyvin is far too active socially for this to be current.

Paul, it's good to see your work again!
OO! OO! This might be a flashback to when Devyn and Alexis accidentally killed everyone in a ten block area! Normally after Mr. Taylor throws out a bombshell like that we're left dangling for decades (or so it seems) as to what it means, but this time the hiatus might have thrown off his timing and he's going to show us sooner. Looking at Devyn in this strip as compared to the pool strips, she DOES look a bit older in the pool ones, and her hair perhaps a bit shorter. Still messy and with the out of control forelock, though.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Poor Devyn is sad to the bone
as all the school leaves her alone,
she still truly wishes
to play with the fishes
solitude she just does not condone

yet somehow we know that there's hope
(tis a common and happier trope)
somehow in the ends
she winds up with friends
and friends make it easy to cope

Yet in my own high school days of yore
I suffered of similar lore
no skills that were social
no strength of emotional
(Thank GOD I'm not young anymore)

and as all of you here have surmised
(since you all are exceedingly wise)
Paul's triumphant return
has certainly earned
some limericks fer all of you guys!!!

Welcome Back Paul!!!

(Annie is in the background, screaming in pain...)
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Drakkenmensch wrote:In a nutshell, that was my experience through school. . . .Dear god I hated school.
Skywatcher68 wrote:Sounds familiar.
TazManiac wrote:Most of School in general and High School specifically seemed a big waste of time, it was just that; time passing.
I have yet to ever hear anybody say, "Oh, high school! I loved that place! Best years of my life!" It seems a universal constant that everybody was miserable there. I wonder if it is a problem with the schools, or more of a problem with being a teenager.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Yes, it is.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:[Kosh]Yes.[/Kosh]
there, i 'fixed' that there quote of yours...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac