Windows 10

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

GlytchMeister

Windows 10

Post by GlytchMeister »

Hi y'all. So I recently upgraded my HP Envy 17 to Microsoft Windows 10 in an effort to revive my wifi adapter.
It worked and I'm very happy. Like, NASA Mission Control at Houston after Apollo 13 came out of Blackout after 4+ minutes happy.

But... Well, since I'm basically doing a review here, I'm gonna be a grump about some stuff too.

So, shall we get started?

The Installation
Due to a borked wifi adapter, I used an Ethernet cord to download the update. That, surprisingly, took less than an hour. (Sorry, I wasn't really timing it, I was too focused on if my adapter would be fixed). It wasn't a huge file, is what I'm saying. Nice and quick.
The installation, however, took quite some time. The better part of my evening, in fact. It finished and was asking for user input right as I was getting ready to go to bed.
The next morning, I got up and got to work on the laptop again. The user input needed was basically "can we have your history and data and personal information?"
Naturally, I said "no." I intent to start at nothing and enable what I need as I use the laptop. I'm a private kind of guy when it comes to massive faceless corporations.
It was a bit confusing at first, because the option to actually decline wasn't plainly visible. The thing I had to click was written in blue on a slightly darker blue background.
Yeah. Bit sneaky, but whatever.
After I got through that, the laptop told me "we're setting things up for you" or something like that. So I grabbed myself a grilled cheese sandwich and a fried egg.
By the time I got back, I could log in. That went without issue (sadly, number lock is STILL not defaulted to "on", grumblegrumble).
My desktop was right as I had left it. Even the pictures of my wifi adapter were still there from when I submitted them to this website as supplemental info, in case anyone knew anything special about that particular model.
HOWEVER: the start menu? Ugh. Nothing from my preexisting start menu persisted through the upgrade. So I've got to reconstruct that again.
The most unpleasant surprise by far was the return of the wretched BLOATWARE. ARGH.
Right off the bat, I see Flipboard and Minecraft for Windows 10 beta. Sitting right there in my start menu.
Cheeky bastards.
Waterfox freaked out a couple times, as did the graphics, which I assume was caused by drivers being installed and whatnot. When I saw my screen black out and glitch, I walked away and just let the computer settle for a while.
Once I came back, Waterfox is working like a champ, playing pandora constantly without interruptions (yay wifi), and the screen hasn't freaked again so far.
But while we are on the topic of drivers, I do have one complaint: the trackpad doesn't work. So I went into device manager and checked for updates to the corresponding driver. None were found, but windows did tell me to reboot anyway.
So that's what's happening now.

I shall return with news of how my laptop is behaving after the first restart.

Oh, gawd, the restart screen is a horrible shade of pink. I hope I can do something about that. Eeuugh.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Re: Windows 10

Post by GlytchMeister »

Yeah, there's a significant amount of... stuff that is eating up my drive speed right now. Pre-update, I had things set up so my laptop would settle down and be nice and completely idle, ready to go, within about 30-60 seconds of startup from full shutdown.
Not anymore.
I'm clocking in at about 30-60 MINUTES before that happens now. I'm gonna hafta break out the PC Decrapifier and Revo uninstaller for this. Ugh.

On the plus side, my synaptics trackpad is working fine now.
And seeing as I'm typing this from the laptop itself, wifi is still firing on all cylinders! *happydance*
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Step One: Download and install Classic Shell. It gives youy variations on the classic start menu - XP or W7 style. I recommend changing one of Classic Shell's defaults - set it so that the Windows key brings up the W10 start menu, instead of Windows-ctl.

Step Two: Bring up the W10 start menu, select "Settings" and, in the left side, select "Lock Screen" - you can change the default screen that windows starts with. Right now my machine starts with a pinup wallpaper of Bay Smith from SailorSun.org.

You can remove all the tiles and widgets from the right side of the W10 Start menu.

I selected the "Pictures" option for the wallpaper - i have several hundred images in a folder and it rotates through them randomly, changing every five minutes.

I recommend NOT signing in with a Microsoft account - i had to, since i was in the Windows Insiders preview program, but i'm thinking of getting out of that now that the final release is out.

Step Three: Download the Windows 10 ISO, and either burn a DVD or a USB stick, just in case.

Step Four: Make sure your anti-virus is running okay and Windows Defender is off. Unfortunately, it looks as if we're stuck with the Windows firewall for the nonce - last i checked neither Comodo or ZoneAlarm wanted anything to do with W10.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Classic Shell:

Classic Shell's version of the Control Panel, which i prefer to the original W7 view:

Lock Screen:

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

My IRL tech guru says Windows defender is fine...?

I do use several other programs, like Glary and Malwarebytes, in case Defender misses anything, and so far I've been fine. (There's also the issue of I'm kinda broke)

As for the Classic shell, I actually ended up kinda liking the Windows 8.1 Start menu, and I'm already loving the W10 one.
EDIT: I just saw what you've done with classic shell... and I've decided I'm more than happy with the current look.

My custom lock screen ported fro W8.1 fine. It's the horrible pink/fuchsia crappy color I get when I clicked Restart. EW.

Aaand as for downloading a W10 iso, I'm not quite at the point where I want that yet. I'm happy with my W8.1 backup for now. if W10 borks my computer, I'm not putting it back on until I see the problem has been thoroughly addressed.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Well, I went and opened up PC Decrapifier, and promptly discovered there wasn't actually any bloatware. Those apps were just things that went to the app store. Advertisements, basically.
I'm happy it wasn't bloatware, but I'm still irritated that the OS has friggin advertisements.
Whatever, they were easy to get rid of anyway.

I still don't know what's making my computer think so hard. Maybe stuff is still... happening after the update? Metaphorical installation dust is settling? *shrug*

Hmmm. I shall reboot (this time seeing what color "Shutdown" produces) and see what happens.
EDIT: oh, good. It's the nice dark grey I'm used to. Cool.
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:I still don't know what's making my computer think so hard. Maybe stuff is still... happening after the update? Metaphorical installation dust is settling? *shrug.
New version of Windows Defender (or some other anti-malware package) doing a full system scan?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I still don't know what's making my computer think so hard. Maybe stuff is still... happening after the update? Metaphorical installation dust is settling? *shrug.
New version of Windows Defender (or some other anti-malware package) doing a full system scan?
I dunno. I just rebooted and here are my results:
Power button press to login screen was nice and quick as always with this computer
Password entry to first sight of desktop took hella long, like 60 seconds
Desktop first sight to Idle took longer than usual as well

I don't know whats up. I'm going to check out my start up settings, see if anything new is hogging my computer's disk activity... RESULTS: Nope. nothing new there either. f.lux is the only thing I remember having a high startup effect. My startup settings haven't changed.
I'm a little worried my beefy laptop isn't beefy enough for W10... which seems ridiculous, because it can run Skyrim on Ultra, with several big graphics mods and hi-res textures, and totally champs it. It's also beefy enough for AutoCAD, fer cryin' out loud.

I got rid of AutoCAD because it had several auxiliary programs that were stupidly bloated and damn near bricked this poor thing (had to use a restore point). But I plan on going on an all-night Skyrim fest as my ultimate test for my computer and W10.

For now, I'm just going to run my maintenance programs and see how it handles those.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

WOW.
WAOW.
HOLY MOTHER OF JAYZUS, MARY, AND JOSEPH.

CCleaner went absolutely BONKERS on the registry repair.
Glary is just goin' to town on the temporary files cleaner.

Yowza, Yikes, and jeepers creepers. I'm glad I'm running my maintenance set.

Good news, my laptop is now an absolute beast when it comes to scanning itself. I can run a full scan on windows defender, malwarebytes antimalware, AND Glary Utilities 5, ALL AT ONCE, and still type this post into Waterfox without the slightest hint of lag.
EDIT: ok, waterfox isn't lagging at all, but windows defender is lagging pretty bad. But, that's actually a really good thing!
Why?
Because it means I can work and have Defender scanning in the background, and it won't make my work lag. That's pretty cool. Before, it would scan in the "background" as in "I'm still at the same priority as all the other programs so I'm just gonna hog everything until I'm done and you can just suck it" kind of background.
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Windows Defender rated last in the most recent antimalware tests by AVTest:
Zack Whittaker/ZDNet/28 July 15 wrote:Windows Defender, baked into the latest versions of Windows, scored just 9.5 points out of a total of 18.

Breaking down that figure, the scores show the app protected against 89 percent of existing widespread malware threats, and 95 percent of new zero-day flaws. The app also scored a paltry score on performance, suggesting it hogs system resources, but scored top marks in user experience, indicating it is easy to use.
It has always rated very low in testing.

If someone is saying Windows Defender is all you need, i'd ask myself what else he's telling me that's wrong.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Windows Defender rated last in the most recent antimalware tests by AVTest:
Zack Whittaker/ZDNet/28 July 15 wrote:Windows Defender, baked into the latest versions of Windows, scored just 9.5 points out of a total of 18.

Breaking down that figure, the scores show the app protected against 89 percent of existing widespread malware threats, and 95 percent of new zero-day flaws. The app also scored a paltry score on performance, suggesting it hogs system resources, but scored top marks in user experience, indicating it is easy to use.
It has always rated very low in testing.

If someone is saying Windows Defender is all you need, i'd ask myself what else he's telling me that's wrong.
Ok, so what alternative do I have that isn't bloated, isn't impossible to kill like macaffee (may that program die in a fire forever), and is free?

I kinda trusted him because he has a bachelor's degree in this stuff. And a real one, from an accredited school.
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Here are the latest AV-Test results.

AVG scored quite well, as did Avira and Avast!

Windows Defender came in at 21 out of twenty-one.
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherFairportfan

GlytchMeister wrote:Ok, so what alternative do I have that isn't bloated, isn't impossible to kill like macaffee (may that program die in a fire forever), and is free?
Avast! Avira, AVG, BitDefender, MalwareBytes...
I kinda trusted him because he has a bachelor's degree in this stuff. And a real one, from an accredited school.
Windows Defender LOOKS good.

If you haven't looked at the test results.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Haven't had any major glitches (pardon the pun) as of yet, though the wife hasn't exactly been putting it through its paces.

I'm waiting for the weekend to consider upgrading. I've already made a clone of my HD on a backup SSD, and I know what to do if I want my stuff "back".
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Ok, so I have malwarebytes antimalware and anti-exploit.
I'm going to switch to either AVG or, according to this PC Mag article, Panda.
Ok, after consideration, I'm going with FPF on this one. AVG it is. not only because both FPF says its good and AV agrees, but also because it appears I can put it on my Ninite installer. Which is nice.

How do I turn off windows defender? Right now, It's showing as "snoozed."
Nevermind, I apparently got it already. :roll:

AVG is 91% done scanning my entire computer and it's found 4 threats so far. I'm gonna give my IRL Tech Guru a swift kick in the ass next time I see him. :evil:
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I have officially decided Cortana is awesome.
I may be a bit biased, because I likeed the Halo campaigns, and I liked her character (second only to that black gunney whose name i forget).
And let's not forget I *ahem* liked her character

I wish she could use Google, and I'm still learning how to actually use her, but still.
She's even voiced by the same woman.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AVG update:
As it turns out, it only found tracking cookies.
Still, Windows Defender never mentioned those after scans. An improvement's an improvement. Thanks for straightening me out, FPF.
I'm too much!
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Personally, I still use Avast! on my computer. The real time shield has caught countless online stuff and the boot time scan is a great feature. The occasional system tray popup ads are a tolerable tradeoff for being free.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'd never heard of Glary until you mentioned it, Glytch...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:I'd never heard of Glary until you mentioned it, Glytch...
It's pretty neat. It can be set up so all you have to do is open it, click one button, and it does everything you tell it to.
Registry repair, disk cleanup, temporary files, spyware removal, and more.

@Shadowinghelight
As for Avast, if it's just the system tray notifications that are annoying, and I get real-time protection, I might switch. It's on Ninite as well.
And I'm pretty sure it's possible to turn off tray notifications for specific products.
I'm too much!