Maybe Nadette and Berdine were visiting cousins?

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Maybe Nadette and Berdine were visiting cousins?

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Minnesota Zoo bear slams rock into glass pane, shattering it 'like a windshield'
Minneapolis Star-Tribune wrote: A grizzly bear at the Minnesota Zoo in Apple Valley picked up a basketball-sized rock with both front paws Monday morning and repeatedly slammed it into a pane of glass, shattering the barrier as startled patrons stood on the other side.

The five-layer pane stayed in place "like a windshield," and no creatures on either side of the multiple panes were harmed, said zoo animal collections manager Tony Fisher.
There's more in the original story.

I like the "no creatures on either side" line.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Re: Maybe Nadette and Berdine were visiting cousins?

Post by GlytchMeister »

No humans were harmed in the making of this news.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Spent a weekend at a state park recently. Really enjoyed one notice on the bulletin boards: "Coolers are NOT bear resistant." :D

Black bears, though--not nearly as aggressive as grizzlies.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

The full article is sort of unclear - it equates grizzlies with brown bears.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:The full article is sort of unclear - it equates grizzlies with brown bears.
Well, all species of brown bear in North America appear to be cross-fertile (with fertile offspring) with your basic brown bear. This includes polar bears. And specifically, the grizzly and Kodiak are now generally regarded as subspecies of the brown bear rather than distinct species.

Black bear species (including the white one and the reddish-brown ones) are likewise cross-fertile with each other. Also they are closely enough related to your basic brown bear that they'll mate, but rarely produce offspring and there is no evidence of there being fertile hybrids in the past few hundred years.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

One of my favorite places in San Francisco, CA is 'the Thirsty Bear'.

http://thirstybear.com/brewery#clipping

If that link to the story behind the names doesn't work, here is the main page, scroll down to 'History'...
Since my first home brew many years ago, I’d been dreaming of opening a brewery. I had no idea if that dream would come true or if it did what I’d call it, but I was open to naming my dream.

One summer Sunday in 1991 I was reading the San Francisco Chronicle. A head line in the front section blazed into my brain: Thirsty Bear Bites Man for Cold Beer.

After reading about the Bear biting Victor Kozlov’s hand to get a cold beer, I knew that story would be the name of my dream.
The article, neatly cut out, lived on my refrigerator door for the next five years until I gave it greater purpose by opening ThirstyBear Brewing Company.

You are looking at the original cut out article.
Victor Kozlov’s sacrifice of his hard earned beer to the Bear has earned him immortal status in our house beer, Kozlov Stout.
As for myself, I'm more inclined to Red Ales, so I default to the 'Grizzly'...