For Their Friends 2015-06-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
meisdadoo

Re: For Their Friends 2015-06-24

Post by meisdadoo »

Catawampus wrote:I wonder when Tina had a chance to evaluate Jessie. That might have been an interesting event, if the two actually met rather than Tina just scanning Jessie in the distance as she walked by. Does Mucho Mocha serve kelp coffee?
zachariah wrote:Bud does not have a good sense of timing, Paul does.
But. . .but he's simply drawing and transcribing the real-life actions of a group of paranormals who he met while in Minneapolis, right? Right?!?
lake_wrangler wrote:Incidentally, it's nice to see confirmation of the genuineness of Jessie's helpfulness.
I'm somewhat less trusting of Jessie. While she is apparently genuinely trying to help Atsali now, that doesn't change the fact that for a good long while she was intentionally being hurtful and bullying towards Atsali and presumably other students as well. At no point have we seen her acknowledge (even just to herself) that what she did was wrong; instead we had Krystle trying to excuse their behaviour by saying that they just did it to make getting through school easier. If Jessie really is as empathic and understanding as she seems to be, then she knew full well how much damage she was causing and yet still went ahead and did so for selfish reasons.
You just have to trust that Tina did a complete and thorough job--it is one of the main reasons she exists in the storyline so we trust her to do her job properly. Other characters in the story can't do anything right and can only be trusted to blow things up, push buttons they shouldn't, and say things better left unsaid.

So, anyone want to guess where this goes from here? Does Atsali go back and apologize, or run away and hide? If she runs and hides, does the little mermaid's mother claim the moral high ground with a big fat "See, I told you so"? and what has become of Dietzel?
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The incident at the school natatorium* was, I think, the first time Jessie met or ran into Atsali. In retrospect, she never had time to be truly antagonistic toward 'Sali, and that little scene was just her "fronting" in her role as Queen Bee.

* - Yes, my high school had one. Yes, we called it that, because it was signed that.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:The incident at the school natatorium*
(snip)
* - Yes, my high school had one. Yes, we called it that, because it was signed that.
Could have been worse. They might have had a school nattōtorium. I'm not sure whether having it signed, or not, would have made matters any better.
meisdadoo wrote:So, anyone want to guess where this goes from here? Does Atsali go back and apologize, or run away and hide? If she runs and hides, does the little mermaid's mother claim the moral high ground with a big fat "See, I told you so"? and what has become of Dietzel?
Hoping she goes back to straighten it out... she's just learned that she does have a friend who isn't trying to use her. Letting pride (or embarrassment) cost her this friendship would be a real loss.

It'd also be seriously good if she goes and talks with Kath and Bud and etc. about her "face blindness" problem, instead of keeping it bottled up inside. She hasn't been able to get past it on her own, it's clearly causing her serious problems, and it isn't yet clear what causes it or whether it might be treatable in her case.

It's clear that Atsali has been "too much alone".
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Dinky Dietzel is continuing to explore life as a pocket pooch, and enjoying the occasional long trek across vast pizza wastelands. And skiing down slopes of frozen custard.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

DilyV wrote:Tina read Jessie? Does this mean that Tina is here at the pool? Tina can give Jin a run for her money when t comes to outrageous swimsuits
Oh, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, plz, ... this.
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

Dave wrote:Could have been worse. They might have had a school nattōtorium. I'm not sure whether having it signed, or not, would have made matters any better.
I find myself trying to imagine a pool filled with sticky, fermented soybeans. It's tasty and good for you, but the smell from that quantity might be a bit overwhelming.
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Two things that crossed my mind this evening:

1. This is where having people like Bud and Jin in her court can help 'Sali smooth over mistakes. Even though she's oh-for-two in reading people over this past year.

2. I think this will be resolved, but without calling in the Old School Squad. And I'm betting it's not Castela, either. My money's on Devyn helping patch up things between Atsali and Jess.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Gavote

Re: For Their Fiends 2015-06-24

Post by Gavote »

lake_wrangler wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:* ahem *

"Rouge Angles of Satin"
You forgot to give warning that this was a TVTropes link... Beware, it will suck you in! :P
True that! The gravitational curve on that article approaches that of a small black hole!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

You listen to the Old Sgt. young lady- if you have to eat crow, the sooner the better. It may taste nasty when hot, but it tastes even WORSE if you wait for it to go cold...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

DilyV wrote:Tina can give Jin a run for her money when t comes to outrageous swimsuits
If by outrageous you mean hot, then yes.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!