Excuse Me 2015-05-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
oldmanmickey

Re: Excuse Me 2015-05-28

Post by oldmanmickey »

Also if its in the US then it gonna have owners. Wanna bet some if not all the shares are owned by one of the aunts?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

To someone coming from a small village, where topless sunbathing was even allowed in the local open-air swimming pool, the hoohah about Atsali's assets is completely baffling. It's covered-up. what would be the problem?? (Oh, and if You want a real shock, visit one of our local lakes on a hot day....)

*shakes head* (quoting Collossus) "Americans, strange people.."

But, then again, without peculiar cultural differences, there wouldn't be much of a story here. Soo, please continue.

Oh, and as someone else already mentioned. I wouldn't be too surprised if Jin owned the resort.. If not, even then, what's the fake frenchie gonna do against two Golems, and the demon-shepard?? Taunt them a second time?? :P
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Jay-Em wrote:Oh, and as someone else already mentioned. I wouldn't be too surprised if Jin owned the resort.. If not, even then, what's the fake frenchie gonna do against two Golems, and the demon-shepard?? Taunt them a second time?? :P
You are assuming that he would survive Devyn.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Akasha

Post by Akasha »

Akeche wrote:Don't be mad at the... lifeguard? Why the HELL is he french anyway, they're in the middle of the Twin Cities not Quebec. Anyway just remember the old saying "Don't shoot the messenger." Jin, Monica, Bud... just about anyone else that came with should have the foresight to realize this guy is just doing his job. Don't be mad at him, be mad at the people who complained.

I'm still expecting the lady who complained last time/maybe this time to have a lot more power than people expected.

Edit: Also, this is a resort? I thought this was a "public" pool that only let paras in. If it's an actual resort... Let's be clear here, they can throw you out for almost any reason they like that isn't discriminating against your religion/race/or in paranormal case species. Fact of the matter is this might not go so well. I thought they'd be dealing with some muffin-topped mom who's got a bone to pick to people who are young and hot, in a somewhat more exclusive public pool setting. Now? We might be dealing with something that will be far less simple than going "Oh just sic Phix/Monica/Jin/Bud on them!"
it does not matter. you still need someone to actually throw you out. since the frenchie does not look ( ok, we know, looks can be deceiving, he could be anything really ) as if he is able to throw someone out, he would escalate to security. and if push comes to shove, i am sure that bud can compress many things, or if necessary paras as well, to diamonds ... blood diamond anyone ? gives it a completely new meaning ^^
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

We always jump to the conclusion that everything will go according to plan because an Aunt of immeasurable power will swoop in to the rescue, or they get the para regulating body to take care of it. Honestly? I'm hoping it won't be that easy.

I want a problem which can't be fixed simply by having a powerful relative. Lilith was previously shown in the comic, when we finally saw Stheno. If I were to guess I'd suspect she might either be the one complaining... or the one who owns the resort.

Everyone here also seems to dogpile on certain characters placed in any kind of antagonistic role in the comic. None of the Aunt's are going to grind Mr. Frenchie into a fine paste.

Edit: The post above me is another example. Violence this, violence that.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Jay-Em wrote:*shakes head* (quoting Collossus) "Americans, strange people.."
Part of out strangeness comes from out genesis--a bunch of people basically booted out of their country for being too religious. Part of it comes from our isolation--unlike practically every other "developed" nation in the world, we share borders with almost nobody. And if we didn't have a tradition of letting basically anyone and everyone in, we'd be so so so much worse.

What we really need is to send each of our young people overseas for a year, and let them learn that American Exceptionalism cuts both ways. As it is, we're just force-fed a constant diet of "We're #1!" With very little input from abroad (comparitively to the amount of output we send abroad.) Americans by and large assume that the rest of the world kowtows to us because they want to be just like us. And there are so many things wrong with that assumption, it's a bit frightening.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Thor wrote:
Part of out strangeness comes from out genesis--a bunch of people basically booted out of their country for being too religious. Part of it comes from our isolation--unlike practically every other "developed" nation in the world, we share borders with almost nobody. And if we didn't have a tradition of letting basically anyone and everyone in, we'd be so so so much worse.

What we really need is to send each of our young people overseas for a year, and let them learn that American Exceptionalism cuts both ways. As it is, we're just force-fed a constant diet of "We're #1!" With very little input from abroad (comparitively to the amount of output we send abroad.) Americans by and large assume that the rest of the world kowtows to us because they want to be just like us. And there are so many things wrong with that assumption, it's a bit frightening.
My Mom has lived in America through a State-Funded Student Exchange program -Michigan (Royal Oak) before the car-industry imploded-. Isn't there something like that in The States?

And, don't sell Yourselves short. America has some unique qualities, however, the extreme prudishness, the deep-rooted religiousness? Yes That's a tad peculiar to us on this side of the pond.. :)
but, why 42?
---------------
tophoo

Post by tophoo »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
tophoo wrote:I like this kid.

And despise the French.
Mostly because I've worked with their military, but that's neither here nor there.
I was accused of trying to start an international incident at my last Reforger... but as it was against a French observer, I was able to explain that there was no risk involved... I like the kid, too...
Heh.
I was present for an international incident in Bosnia in ninety... six?
I don't remember- anyway, I was the US liaison to to the local UK forces- namely, the Royal Marines.
We found ourselves in territory right near the French forces and the lads decided that they..fancied a bit of wine.. which, it so happens, can be found in French field rations...
Y'know, I've got a nice, concise, little avatar pic that I've been using for ten damned years, and this is the first place I've ever tried to use it that said it was too big.
Screw it- I'm stayin' generic.
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

Well it's hard to paint the entire country with a single brush. Simply put our country is so damned big, that you cannot represent the entire nation going by a single stereotype. Now I don't find some stereotypes to be a bad thing, as they often stem from truths. However a person down in Texas is not going to be the same as one off in California. Even within the same state you'll find wildly varying types of people with different sorts of beliefs.

Now there are actually beaches specifically made for the purpose of being able to go topless/nude. However you would not find someone like Atsali at one, nor any of her friends as I'm almost certain the majority of them would only be for adults. That is perhaps the one big stickler that the entire country shares. Violence won't make us bat an eye, but a bare boob and we get into an uproar.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Devyn: What the fuck just spilled out of your mouth?

Devyn's friends, Aunts Monica, Jin and Bud:

LOL
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Jay-Em wrote: My Mom has lived in America through a State-Funded Student Exchange program -Michigan (Royal Oak) before the car-industry imploded-. Isn't there something like that in The States?
Indeed we do, however, you have to prove yourself to be the best sort of young and open-minded ambassador of goodwill in order to get one of the very few available slots. Which means that the people that qualify are by-and-large the people who need an emergency dose of another culture the least. We need the least cosmopolitan among us to go out and see the world, not the most.
Jay-Em wrote:And, don't sell Yourselves short. America has some unique qualities, however, the extreme prudishness, the deep-rooted religiousness? Yes That's a tad peculiar to us on this side of the pond.. :)
If America really does have any good points, I probably wouldn't recognize them, since this country talks itself up so much it is nearly impossible to pick out the specks of virtue from the daily avalanche of hype.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

I have a feeling that the complainer from Atsali's first visit may not have been a parent at the pool but none other than the concierge here on his own. Atsali never did tell anyone about it until months later after all. The resort may even take offense to his actions as well.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

oldmanmickey wrote:Someone is about to get a crash course in Melittology. The Queen has been threatened, the hive is under attack. This means war!! Girls are about to come out the wood work. lol
Perhaps she's some kind of bee-based para? That's how I'm interpreting her pupils, anyways.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Thor wrote:If America really does have any good points, I probably wouldn't recognize them, since this country talks itself up so much it is nearly impossible to pick out the specks of virtue from the daily avalanche of hype.
Also America is not the only nation that has nightmare tourists. I have heard some of the stupidest holiday complaints from travelers from all over the globe. Americans just get the lion-share of the blame, most likely because the country has such a large population compared to other nations, after all, the US has states larger than some nations.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Mark N wrote:
Thor wrote:If America really does have any good points, I probably wouldn't recognize them, since this country talks itself up so much it is nearly impossible to pick out the specks of virtue from the daily avalanche of hype.
Also America is not the only nation that has nightmare tourists. I have heard some of the stupidest holiday complaints from travelers from all over the globe. Americans just get the lion-share of the blame, most likely because the country has such a large population compared to other nations, after all, the US has states larger than some nations.
Its not just international travel, its interstate as well. A lot of Americans have the mindset that however something is done at home is how it has to be done everywhere. I can not count the number of travelers that have commented on the food the people and such here in the South. I will always have found memories of a young airman finding out that American tv was not the world standard.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Mark N wrote:
*shrugs* I haven't had truly horrible experiences with American tourists. I think them pretty well-behaved. The only time I got a whiff how "bad american tourists" could be, was when I was on a train, met a Texan Couple I chatted with for a bit, but that became really hostile when it became clear that the beautiful mixed woman next to me, was my -then- girlfriend.. Odd experience. I assumed they were outliers in that. They were kinda old too..

But, then again, as Thor stated. Those that tend to réally travel Europe by themselves, are of the (often affluent) open, cosmopolitan kind already. I.e. They have passports :P
but, why 42?
---------------
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

"Ils sont fous, ces Romains"
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Mark N wrote:
Jay-Em wrote:Oh, and as someone else already mentioned. I wouldn't be too surprised if Jin owned the resort.. If not, even then, what's the fake frenchie gonna do against two Golems, and the demon-shepard?? Taunt them a second time?? :P
You are assuming that he would survive Devyn.
As someone who's worked in the service industry far longer than they care to, I'm fairly certain his thoughts are somewhere between "the customer is almost never right"/"this job isn't worth the pay" and his only defense against the aunts; "I don't make the rules. I'm only doing to do my job."

Possibly an additional "Ugh, this complaint again."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Thor wrote:

That's only a small part of it.

There were those who (laughably) sought gold. Which lead to around 150, 175ish years of failed English colonies before those of Jamestown begged the locals for food (and even offered themselves as slaves) to become the first colony that didn't go native (there's a reason soldiers started getting sent with the colonsts), or resort to cannibalism come winter. Then there were the fur trapping French, and the conquistadors also looking for gold.
Eventually we got the colonists who didn't want to pay taxes (see "cycle of colonial exploitation") and the colonists who wanted to settle the Ohio River Valley despite the crown expressly forbidding it.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

What I find interesting is that apparently it is an inside pool. From the roof covering we can see the pool is not that large after all, just very deep. The pool is probably covered to keep that para's protected from casual public exposure so everyone can relax and not worry about keeping human appearance. Given the angles we can estimate the pool is Olympic sized, or a bit larger. I am allowing for a fair sized edge area around it for people not swimming to lounge and relax. But it is still 65 feet deep which must have been real fun to build.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.