Oh Noes 2015-05-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Jay-Em

Re: Oh Noes 2015-05-22

Post by Jay-Em »

captnq wrote:
Jay-Em wrote:(I was one of the "cool" kids in college..apparently..)
Can't relate. I was one of the kids that got beaten repeatedly by his peers and got spit on. For years. We're talking face sewn back on level beatings. So, no. I cannot relate to you being one of the "cool" kinds nor do I relate to this scene.

My experience was that social outcasts don't even hang out with other social outcasts because even the uncool kids don't want to be seem with THEM. I suppose it's different for girls.

That kinda really sucks.

But, there's more to that : I was in that unpleasant position for the first years in Junior-High/middle school, then, one day, stuff escalated, and I beat a guy that had been bullying me for quite some time, into a snotstain in the halls.

I was "The Man" for a short while, and discovered -even as young as I was- that it was all tóo easy to, myself, fall in the trap of béing the guy that bullies people. Not something I liked about myself. I was rather disgusted with myself, even.

After that I kept my distance from cliques and in-crowds. And after failed attempts to draw me into their "circle" they started ignoring me. Fine by me. They wouldn't even taunt me, because they had seen the bloody mess my somewhat iffy anger-control could unleash. Unpleasant realization, but a fact of life. "Negative respect" in a way.

In College I was too busy with other things to bother with cliques and groups. I mainly hung out with girls because I liked their company. Less macho-bullshit. Girls have their own nasty "things" but they didn't bother me with it. As "The un-dangerous guy" in a loose group of (pretty, but also some average) girls, they liked my company, and I liked theirs. To the outside I might have looked like a regular Romeo (girls can be really, uncomfortable touchy-clingy-lovey-dovey towards those that they kindof see as an "older brother") but I never áctually made a pass at any of them.

Outside looks can be deceiving.

The "One" that made me all stammery and clumsy, and wobbly, kept her distance too, shy as she was as a gangly teen. *sigh* Little did I know that she was smitten with me. Only to hear that 30-something years later, when she was already happily married for some time. Tsch!

On the other hand, one member of the group of girls I hung-out with, is still my BFF, 30 years later. Kinda cool, actually.

But, contrary to You towards mé, I càn relate to Your experience. I got enough of a whiff that first two years of it to feel terribly sorry for everyone who's youth is partially ruined by sick powergames, humiliation, violence and the loneliness it entails. I've seen enough people that later had to work harder than anyone else to be functioning socially thanx to sociopath miscreants in their youth.

Later, when I started in education, I was always vèry pro-active towards preventing bullying and exclusion. Not always successful, mind You.. I also learned there are, indeed, "evil" individuals, even amongst kids.
Last edited by Jay-Em on Fri May 22, 2015 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

A pool of paranormals, each with mythical powers a "normal" would risk dying to have. Yet all of them wishing that they were "normal". None of them yet realizing that "normal" does not mean what they think it does, because being overly concerned about what others think of you is perfectly normal at that age.

That being said, this age is the right time to learn that everyone has powers, abilities, and deficiencies. That no one is perfect, and no one is beneath you. You are all equal, just in different ways. The mermaids are excellent swimmers, the Sirens are excellent flyers, the bothersome thorn bush is excellent at being prickly and annoying, and the ursamorphs are something else--but only when they want to be. t's all good man. . . :lol:
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Brasten wrote:
eee wrote:We need something or someone to force all these dingbats together and make them talk to resolve this.

I don't see such a deus ex machina around, but maybe. On the other hand, Atsali and Co. ARE somewhat focused on confronting pool management at the moment...
jayessell wrote:Pickle to the rescue!
As usually the answer is to behave like an outgoing 5 1/2 year old.
Yeah, the precociously perceptive perambulating prickly perennial could be of help here. She appears all nonthreatening, and the teens might obligingly let the cute little random kid join in playing with their ball. And then things get interesting when she wants to introduce them to her big sis. . .

Unless somebody recognises Castela from the school cafeteria. "Hey, isn't she the little kid who stomped all over that fae princess with total impunity? Run away! Run away!!"
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

From what we've seen of our little thornbush, she eventually learns how to Hulk Out.

I'd like to remind that Atsali isn't on the same level as everyone else there, and Paul has set it up to be that way. 'Grandmother' is Phix, guardian of the library. Actual Gramma is an extremely ancient vampire. 'Aunt' is Monica, perhaps the biggest para-celebrity there is. Then there's all of her other 'Aunts' which each one had some kind of wild crazy cosmic power. I've definitely said it before but she's untouchable, essentially, and that bothers me sometimes. Admittedly I'm sure many are in these sorts of positions in real life too. Relatives being in places of power in a state/city, being the CEO of a company quite a few peoples parents work for and such.

Just as a disclaimer, putting ' ' around the word doesn't mean I'm suggesting they aren't that to THEM. My own grandmother was not my biological one.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Akeche wrote:I'd like to remind that Atsali isn't on the same level as everyone else there, and Paul has set it up to be that way. 'Grandmother' is Phix, guardian of the library. Actual Gramma is an extremely ancient vampire. 'Aunt' is Monica, perhaps the biggest para-celebrity there is. Then there's all of her other 'Aunts' which each one had some kind of wild crazy cosmic power. I've definitely said it before but she's untouchable, essentially, and that bothers me sometimes.
I'd put it a bit differently. She's got a lot of high-powered backing and support. There would, little doubt, be very serious consequences for anyone/anything which did "touch her".

None of that makes her untouchable, or invulnerable (either physically or emotionally). She can still be hit by all sorts of busses, with all sorts of consequences, ranging anywhere from "minor annoyance" to "valuable learning experience" to "permanent death, including destruction of soul, with no saving throw possible." Her somewhat headstrong nature and selectively-oblivious thought processes may make is sort of encounter with a bus... well, let's just say it wouldn't be a big surprise.

Monica et al might seek to wreak horrible vengeance on whatever hurt her, if there's anything to wreak vengeance upon (she might be hurt or killed in a physical accident with no "big bad" being involved). That wouldn't help Atsali.

Think "Winnifred Burkle". :(
tophoo

Post by tophoo »

I remember this well enough- ye gods, so long ago-
"Why did you never talk to me?!"
"Well, because you were a Jock, Brain, Skater! Why didn't you talk to me?!"
"You were Brain, a Jock in your own right, and in the pep band!" (we had an absolutely rock-star pep/jazz band)
"Oh.. what are you doing next Friday night?"
Bizarre bridges were built because we were all drunk and stoned at the house of guy who didn't really belong to any of the groups.
Y'know, I've got a nice, concise, little avatar pic that I've been using for ten damned years, and this is the first place I've ever tried to use it that said it was too big.
Screw it- I'm stayin' generic.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I know that within a webcomic, an artist's style will make it so that eventually, new characters will look somewhat like other established characters, to a certain degree.

Having said that, am I the only one who sees a young, non-nerdy Monica and a young Shelly, here? (Mostly about the faces...)
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Atomic wrote:See circumstance, assume worst, hate self -- lather, rinse, repeat...
yeah, the way i see it, this will turn into a bad situation... the four of them are all "Oh Noes!" right NOW, but then one of them will go something like "why DOES she hate us?, WE ain't done nothing to HER... what a Bitch!"... and just like that the mental mood of the four of them shifts to them being pissed off at Atsali's "bitchy attitude" and that when she DOES finally come over to hang out with them, they're all "uh uh... Talk to the Hand!" and ignore her or make sarcastic remarks about/to her. Atsali is dismayed that they acted like that, but is sorta EXPECTING them to act that way, and thus a full circle has been completed... exactly what they THINK about each of the other person becomes reality... Atsali thinks they are all stuck up bitches that are "too full of themselves" to give her the time of day. and the four of them fall into the "we don't like her because she's a cold bitch, so we will ignore her and make nasty rumors about her behind her back" attitude, and a new round of angst is started...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I don't think that is how it's going to go down.

Remember, there's a certain mermaid who is desperately trying to stay on Atsali's good side. I suspect we'll see what her damage control has looked like since the bathing suit incident.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

jwhouk wrote:I don't think that is how it's going to go down.

Remember, there's a certain mermaid who is desperately trying to stay on Atsali's good side. I suspect we'll see what her damage control has looked like since the bathing suit incident.
Of course, right now Jessie is worried about damage control from the Jacob incident. We have yet to see what she and Krystle and Calista have cooked up to "set things right". This might be an interesting time for whatever scheme they've cooked up to take effect.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

You think the girls are all a-twitter, their parents are going to have metaphorical kittens (and maybe literal in some cases) when they find out who the girl-footed booby with the boobies really is. Then the social chaos will really hit the fan.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Ah, but when you have a jaguar, a goat, a cobra (in remission), and a blackthorn around you... ;)
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
captnq

Post by captnq »

scantrontb wrote:
Atomic wrote:See circumstance, assume worst, hate self -- lather, rinse, repeat...
yeah, the way i see it, this will turn into a bad situation... the four of them are all "Oh Noes!" right NOW, but then one of them will go something like "why DOES she hate us?, WE ain't done nothing to HER... what a Bitch!"... and just like that the mental mood of the four of them shifts to them being pissed off at Atsali's "bitchy attitude" and that when she DOES finally come over to hang out with them, they're all "uh uh... Talk to the Hand!" and ignore her or make sarcastic remarks about/to her. Atsali is dismayed that they acted like that, but is sorta EXPECTING them to act that way, and thus a full circle has been completed... exactly what they THINK about each of the other person becomes reality... Atsali thinks they are all stuck up bitches that are "too full of themselves" to give her the time of day. and the four of them fall into the "we don't like her because she's a cold bitch, so we will ignore her and make nasty rumors about her behind her back" attitude, and a new round of angst is started...
This is how it SHOULD happen, in real life, but in the comic, it won't be, because there's a message to be delivered. With this much telegraphing, I'd be surprised if it happened as you describe.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

lake_wrangler wrote:I know that within a webcomic, an artist's style will make it so that eventually, new characters will look somewhat like other established characters, to a certain degree.

Having said that, am I the only one who sees a young, non-nerdy Monica and a young Shelly, here? (Mostly about the faces...)
The two to the right? Yeah, I got that vibe too.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Is it Monday yet?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:Is it Monday yet?
Good thing I didn't wait up for it... 8-)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It appears that Pablo took Memorial Day off.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I note that all of the girls freaking out could join the IBTC.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Boss stated he simply forgot to do a strip for Monday, and double-brain-farted about posting something on Facebook.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

On facebook, Pablo wrote:Because folks have been asking the names of the girls at the pool, here they are in order from left to right: Abbie, Alexis, Devyn, and Mallory.

Oh, and I almost forgot, here's what type of paranormal each is:
Abbie - Familiar (dog)
Alexis - Auloniad (Nymph)
Devyn - Helead
Mallory - Amphiptere
Google search did not like the word "helead", but a link to a page titled, "NYMPHS" reveals heleads are "Nymphs of the Fen".